Clear all

Jam Tonight

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member
Topic starter

I am off to an acoustic jam I helped set up with about 6-8 people. We have a few guitars, a bass, and even two singers. Been a LONG while since I was involved in an acoustic jam. But, figured why the heck not? Also, it is an excuse to bring along a 6 pack, to make everything sound better!

Posted : 12/01/2008 12:50 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

How'd it go? What did yooze guys do?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 12/01/2008 5:49 am
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member
Topic starter

It went very well. Maybe the beer helped, but I thought we did well for the first time together. It was three acoustic guitars (including me) and a female blues singer. There was supposed to be a bass player, but he didn't show up.

It took about a half hour to get in the groove but then things went great. Our only problem was finding material we all knew! At first, we only played songs the singer was familar with, like: Knockin On Heaven's Door, Stormy Monday, Mustang Sally, Go Your Own Way, Refugee, Everybody Hurts, and probably a few more I can't remember. Then we moved into some songs that us guitarists wanted to try, although the singer didn't know too well: Hey Joe, Pinball Wizard and our finale was most of Stairway to Heaven (can't really get far enough up the fretboard to do the solo justice).

Our biggest problem was to come up with songs we all knew. On several that I didn't know, I hung back & played the basic rhythm at let the other two guys take over. So, we will be sure to create a song list before the next jam, so we all know the songs.

Oh, one other thing. I am not a big acoustic player, but I got MAJOR G.A.S. listening to an old Martin D-28 (I think) brought by one of the guys. Man was that thing sounded so sweet! But, I am happy with my Yamaha for those occassions when an acoustic is called for.

Posted : 12/01/2008 4:50 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Sounds like a good evening. I hope to be able to join others soon. I want to improve my timing with barre chord switching and maybe some picking/leading stuff first though.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 12/01/2008 9:06 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Sounds like a good evening. I hope to be able to join others soon. I want to improve my timing with barre chord switching and maybe some picking/leading stuff first though.
You? We need you to get over to the online jams and take some of them for a spin. :wink:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 22/01/2008 2:01 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

You? We need you to get over to the online jams and take some of them for a spin. :wink:

Soon. I must confess that I've been lurking for a bit.

Roy

Posted : 22/01/2008 5:49 pm
(@boogie)
Honorable Member

Soon. I must confess that I've been lurking for a bit.

We've got a slot available on the 'gospel-style' blues jam. :)

Posted : 23/01/2008 2:56 am