Notifications
Clear all

Layed Off!

27 Posts
25 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Not the best way to start the New Year, is it? My commiserations, Matt, hope something good turns up for you soon.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 09/01/2009 11:03 pm
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Thats scary stuff! Your good attitude will carry you though this setback. Good luck.

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 10/01/2009 7:47 am
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Sorry to hear. :cry: Good luck on the job hunt ... my wife finally found a new job. Not the greatest but it buys some food.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 10/01/2009 8:03 am
(@ksac32)
Reputable Member

Sorry to hear that-your not alone-I was laid off from the job i had for 18 years in August. :( Still looking for a job.

http://www.soundclick.com/kensacco
http://www.soundclick.com/thetools

Posted : 10/01/2009 2:13 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Sorry Matt, and sorry to others for losing their gigs. Some of them even long time. I'm pretty sure I would have lost mine had it not been for my med probs. My wife got lucky this week and survived this current scare. Hopefully, we'll be shoveling out from this sooner than later. Best wishes for everyone.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 11/01/2009 3:37 am
(@bloos66)
Reputable Member

hi blueline,

I am really sorry to hear that, and I wish you all the very best for finding a new (and better job).

I lost my job the week before Christmas, one amongst 300 in our company, and I was very angry and upset for the first week. People would say to me 'One door closes, another one opens up', and it would just make me angrier. After a week for coming to terms with the situation, I decided that feeling bad wasn't gonna do me any good and started to get back to the business of looking for work, connecting with old colleagues, meeting friends and planning out the next few weeks. Here in Oz, January is dead, summer holidays, nobody's around, no jobs to apply for, so my plan is to spend the summer with the kids and play guitar. So far it's been great, although the guitar doesn't get enough playing, too many sunny days, and I have also started to look for work. I am convinced that something is going to come along at just the right time.

blueline, make the best out of the time you have at the moment, and stay positive! :-)

Posted : 12/01/2009 9:40 am
(@blueline)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Well, I took the last coupla days to mourn and feel sorry for myself. I'm not feeling so numb any more. Will freshen up my resume and will take advantage of the out placement agency my ex-company arranged. The great thing is that many, many people are more than happy to pass my resume to employers and help me with a job search. So I'm blessed in that regard.

Hey, were do I apply for a rock star job? :lol: Is there a form? DO I qualify? I mean, there's got to be a niche for an overweight, graying middle aged man that can play a few chords and hold a half way decent note, right? Maybe if I paint my face I can be "outrageous" and make it big time!

Maybe I'll be a music critic. That would be cool. Listen to music all day. Use big words and nifty comparisons to make what I'm saying seem somewhat reasonable. This way, people will read my reviews and think..."hmmm, I've never thought about it that way". Yeah. I can see it now.

Oh well, for those of you in the same boat as I, here's wishing you the best. I have to go do some serious thinking on what I'd like to do when I grow up.
8)

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Posted : 12/01/2009 6:00 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

well Matt that totally suxs and we just went through our 5th in about 6 years right before Christmas. I saw many of my good friends get the axe..unfortunatley not the right kind though.

It's tough being in the IT world these days if I hadn't been on a huge SAP project that went live last week I probably would have got it too, but we have the second phase which we are starting right away that'll take us until May and I'm sure they'll be more IT cuts then. Almost everything is moving offshore to contractors.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 12/01/2009 6:04 pm
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member

so sorry to hear about this hope you find some that you like even better!

Posted : 13/01/2009 4:18 pm
(@specialsof)
Estimable Member

So sorry to hear about anyone losing their job. I have worked for myself for nearly 30 years now, so know how it feels without "job security", but I wouldn't have it any other way.

On a good side not, just got the lastest newsletter from Taylor Guitars, and they said 2008 was their best year since 2000 (or something like that). Bob Taylor mentioned that in tuff economic times that the good guitar makers do ok in a climate like we are experiencing. So, all us guitar lovers can continue to look for good stuff from many makers.

Posted : 14/01/2009 11:33 am
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Well its taken just a short time for the economy to take its toll on me. My company let 7 of 10 people in my department go yesterday. Many, many others throughout the building. It was horrible. There were approximately 250 people on my floor. At least 1/3 were let go. :cry: Looks like I'm going to be going on interviews! Hope all is well with you all!

Not cool. I've been watching the news and I'm sad how so many companies are dropping employees. Been there. Am there. Ahhhhhh!

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

Posted : 31/01/2009 8:53 am
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member

Very sorry to hear the news! I have survived a few rounds so far, but I get nervous on the last day of each month (cut day). Good luck with the interviews. This too will pass.

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

Posted : 31/01/2009 5:11 pm
Page 2 / 2