Clear all

Led Zeppelin- The Ride

16 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@blueline)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Just got back from my vacation in Myrtle Beach South Carolina. Had a great time with the kids. We spent a day at the newly opened Hard Rock Park. As you would expect from the folks at Hard Rock, the place was awesome. Very well done. Everything exceeded my expectations. I would highly suggest a trip there. Proper dues paid to all of the major influences in rock. Beatles, Floyd, the Punk scene, Southern Rock, Heavy Metal, you name it... So, wherever you walk in the park, there is always a great song playing. There was always a live band playing in different areas of the park.

You enter through the large golden gates of "Rock N Roll Heaven" where a constant mist coves the ground. Really cool. Will post pics asap. You stroll around looking at the various attractions, listening to music and then you see it. Led Zeppelin The Ride. 8) Let me try to state this properly. This is not only a ride. It's an experience. Should you need to wait in line, there are high def TVs placed all around. All playing classic footage of Zep concerts. The music is played over large, quality speaker system that provides excellent listening.

This continues as you make your way to the ride. Before you get onto the ride, you enter a dark room. This room simulates a concert. There is a large screen that shows a live concert video of Whole Lotta Love. So you are effectively placed in an early 70s Zep concert. The walls are painted to resemble a concert crowd. Everything is timed perfectly. The song continues as you take your seat onto the roller coaster. Mid way through the song the ride starts. There are speakers built into the car so you can continue to listen to the song

The ride begins to ascend immediately. Keeping in time with the song, the ride begins to reach it's peak as soon as you hear Plant say “Way down inside, Woman, you need…bum, bum…..(now you're at the top) LOOOOOOVVVVVEEEEEEEE….. and you simultaneously hit a near 90 degree drop at 65 mph from 15 stories above the ground.

All I can say is Holy Crap. I don't remember much after that. I passed out. :oops: Went back on the ride to see if I could regain my manlyhood but must admit, I'm not built for coasters anymore. My kids went back on the ride 6 more times.

All in all, it was a great time. The Hard Rock was the biggest highlight. This is a must see for any guitarist.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Posted : 14/07/2008 3:25 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Welcome back! Glad you had a great trip. I might have to check out that ride when my ears get better. MB is only a few hours away by highway, 8 hours away via roundabout route on motorcycle. 10 hours away when you stop for a round of golf and dinner on the way down.

Did you get to check out anything at the House Of Blues? I never have, but I want to. I hear it's decent. Just never caught the timing right.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 14/07/2008 4:39 pm
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

You had me until "...and you simultaneously hit a near 90 degree drop at 65 mph from 15 stories above the ground." :shock:
That ride is not for me.

Bass player for Undercover

Posted : 14/07/2008 4:49 pm
(@blueline)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Roy: I did not get a chance to go to House of Blues. Had the kids with me so it was strictly a PG13 kinda vacation. However, I've been to the one here in Atlantic City NJ. Was very cool. Also have a variety of stops in NYC. BB King's place and the imfamous Blue Note. I've been to both and loved it. Did bring my Ovation with me and played on the beach. Think my son took a pic of me with his cell phone. Will have to post pics.

Jeff- Dude... I don't know what I was thinkin. I had an accident about 25 years ago. Went 30 feet off of a roof top and broke my skull. Since then my equalibrium has never been right. I don't remember falling. I don't remember hitting the ground. I think my brain just shut down. Hence, I think the same thing happened on the ride. My brain just said..."Oh no, here we go again" and I blacked out. The funny thing is my daughter, 11 y/o who has never heard of Zep is now officially a Robert Plant fan. She asked me who Led Zeppelin was and if "he" was good. I explained. She now has a poster of Plant hanging in her room and wants me to fill her iPod with Zep songs. 8)

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Posted : 14/07/2008 6:30 pm
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Ouch. That's a cool thing with your daughter though. It's funny how they start liking our music around that age. I gave my 11 year old an iPod for Christmas and all he wanted on there was The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, The Ramones, Rush and anything I had that was on Guitar Hero.

My roller coaster aversion is strange. I'm not afraid of heights, I've gone cliff diving off 45-75 ft. cliffs and not blinked an eye. Speed doesn't scare me, I've driven 140mph down the interstate (when I was younger and stupider). It's being in something that is falling and/or going real fast that I have no control over that gets me.

Bass player for Undercover

Posted : 14/07/2008 7:03 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Sounds like you had a great time, Matt! There's a ride like that just up the coast from me, at Blackpool Pleasure Beach - the Pepsi Max big one. I know when it opened in '94 it was the tallest, fastest and steepest in the world, and like an idiot, yours truly had to go on with his daughter. Ah well - at least I had the good grace to wait till I got off before puking, but it was a close thing! It's certainly the tallest, fastest and steepest ride I've ever been on - or ever will go on, for that matter!

Myrtle Beach sounds great, though - all the fun of the fair, and great music too! Was it loud enough?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 14/07/2008 7:56 pm
(@ksac32)
Reputable Member

sounds like a cool place 8)

http://www.soundclick.com/kensacco
http://www.soundclick.com/thetools

Posted : 14/07/2008 8:12 pm
(@blueline)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Here are some pics

Me playing the ol Ovation on the beach

My son and I by the lagoon at the Hard Rock

The Zep Sign

Me hangin with the nome

Both kids by the Led Zep Roller Coaster (My daughter is such a hamm)

The kids entering/leaving Rock N Roll Heaven

Posted : 15/07/2008 1:20 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Nice shots, man! Your son looks like he's about done for in that last shot. SC in July will do it to anyone. :)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 15/07/2008 1:28 am
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Shoot, Blueline, I thought the guy with the candle in his head was really you. :mrgreen:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 15/07/2008 1:38 am
(@blueline)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Shoot, Blueline, I thought the guy with the candle in his head was really you. :mrgreen:

:lol: :lol: :lol: (Pretty close resemblence though...eh??)
Thanks Ric, I needed a good laugh this morning.

Posted : 15/07/2008 11:23 am
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

Ah well - at least I had the good grace to wait till I got off before puking, but it was a close thing! It's certainly the tallest, fastest and steepest ride I've ever been on - or ever will go on, for that matter!

Well it helps if you don't drink a lot of beer before, after or during the ride. :mrgreen:

Wow I didn't know such a place existed. That sounds like an awesome time. I've been wanting to go to the east coast sometime, sounds like Myrtle Beach is the place to go. Don't know if I can do the coasters anymore either, though. It's been a long time.

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

Posted : 15/07/2008 6:23 pm
(@blueline)
Noble Member
Topic starter

...Wow I didn't know such a place existed. That sounds like an awesome time. I've been wanting to go to the east coast sometime, sounds like Myrtle Beach is the place to go. Don't know if I can do the coasters anymore either, though. It's been a long time.

I know how you feel. I should have stayed off the rides myself. :D I'll say this, the park is built with enough attractions so that even if you don't go on the rides you would enjoy yourself. There are shows, bands and a fireworks display at night. They did a really cool choreographed fireworks show to Bohemian Rhapsody the night I was there. Earlier, while the kids went on the coasters for the Nth time, I hung out at a cafe, had a few beers and watched a pretty good local band. The place wasn't that crowded, so I was extremely comfortable letting the kids go through the park on their own.

Of course, plenty of shops to spend your money as well. I picked up a nice Gibson Les Paul Tshirt at the Gibson shop.

If you do go, bring a camera. There are so many employees there with cameras. Every time I move, someone was taking my picture. They hand you a ticket and you can purchase the pic for the low low price of $$$....

Posted : 15/07/2008 6:41 pm
(@blueline)
Noble Member
Topic starter

I wonder what would happen if you tried to enter with a guitar in your hand????

Posted : 15/07/2008 6:41 pm
(@sparky1ma)
Trusted Member

Great pics man, looks like a lot of fun. 8) I may have to make a trip to SC next year. :D

Where am I going....and why am I in this hand basket?

Posted : 15/07/2008 6:45 pm
Page 1 / 2