Clear all

lookin for a Long Island jam

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

I've been playin about 5+ years but just don't play well with others. I've sat in at several folk and bluegrass jams, but just couldn't keep up with the bluegrassers and the folkies are a mighthy long ride to get to. Anyone in the Brookhaven area of Long Island NY interested in gettin together for some playin', maybe even make it a steady thing if it works out?
Eric

Posted : 25/03/2007 4:27 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

If you'd pick me up from the airport, sure.

Oddly enough I was looking at flights from DC to NY and it's $29 into the MacArthur Airport.

Posted : 25/03/2007 9:21 pm
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

If you'd pick me up from the airport, sure.

Oddly enough I was looking at flights from DC to NY and it's $29 into the MacArthur Airport.

That MacArthur airport is a Godsend for us Islanders, Southwest Airlines seats you like cattle, but the price is right. :P

Posted : 25/03/2007 11:26 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Off topic a bit, but what's the best way to get from there to Penn or Grand Central?

I come up to NY about every other week. I always bring my guitar.

Next time I'm heading up I'll let you know.

Posted : 25/03/2007 11:59 pm
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

Off topic a bit, but what's the best way to get from there to Penn or Grand Central?

MacArthur is not to far from the Ronkonkoma LIRR station which has trains to Penn, from Penn a subway ride to 42 st then change to another train to Grand Central. I'm about 20 miles east of Ronkonkoma.

Eric

Posted : 26/03/2007 11:26 am
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

Nick,

As an update to my last post. If I were going to NYC from out-of-town I wouldn't fly into MacArthur. The flight might be low priced but you'd have to add $20-30 for cabs and railfare, plus at least 2 hours travel time.

Eric

Posted : 26/03/2007 6:06 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I figured, but not a bad price if I was to make a weekend of it.

Posted : 26/03/2007 6:23 pm
(@steves)
Estimable Member

Nick,

There are two great ways to get to midtown NYC for a weekend. First, the train is a great alternative to consider. It's a comfortable ride and brings you right into Penn Station. Depending on arrival/departure times, the train can be under $200.

Another option is the US Airways Shuttle into LaGuardia. Weekend fares are generally cheap. I just checked flights for next weekend and the roundtrip fare is $120. You can take a cab or bus into the city from there.

Hope this helps,

Steve

Posted : 26/03/2007 11:42 pm
(@cyranodb)
Estimable Member

I live in North Queens and can drive out to Long Island for a few hours. i'm more in to blues, classic rock and rock and roll though. Not sure if our musical tastes match. I'm also a pretty much beginner and not much experience with the guitar. so.

"I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it, that's a technical term." - SRV

Posted : 21/01/2008 2:17 pm