Notifications
Clear all

Looking for Suggestions Regarding Site I'm Building

35 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Yeah, sounds good to me. We need something like that over here, I'm just up to my eyes in paid work and a gig-listing site* at the mo, or I'd have already started :)

*man does the UK need a good gig-list site... :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

Posted : 14/03/2006 11:27 pm
(@nolongerme)
Honorable Member

Awesome! I'm ready when you are. Wish I knew more than just basic HTML so I could help out more.

Posted : 15/03/2006 2:28 am
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Bet you all had thought I'd forgotten about the site yet again? :)

Just busy with other things. However, I have made a lot of progress and basically only need to work on various search techniques. I would like some input on that, however. So far I'm going to allow searching on the following:

- zip code (will show only members in that code)
- distance search (will show all members within that distance from zip)
- city (will obviously show all members in that city)
- state (you guessed it)

I'm still not sure if allowing searches on instrument and what they are looking for is necessary. What do you think? Any other search criteria I should consider?

The site in its early stage will be pretty simple. I want to get it live so the db can start growing and then make improvements as time passes.

I'm still struggling with the best avenue for contact as well. I still would prefer a PM type system, but those aren't as simple to roll out as one would think (or at least for me since I've not coded anything like that before). In this early stage, I think I'm going to put a "contact" button on each persons profile. That will pull up a form that you fill in some basic info and it will then email them. They will then have a link to your profile and can do the same if they want to get together for a jam. It will be up to each person whether they give any contact info beyond that point. What do you think?

The site will hopefully be ready soon (I'm tired of giving time frames since I always seem to miss them for various reasons). :)

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

Posted : 13/04/2006 6:21 pm
(@thectrain)
Estimable Member

Well I think search for instrument is fairly necessary. I think its a safe bet that you will get a larger percentage of guitar players as opposed to keys/bass/vocals etc. So searching by instrument will allow people to find something they are missing as opposed to another guitar player.

Posted : 14/04/2006 10:20 pm
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member
Topic starter

True. I was going to allow sorting by instrument, but you are probably right. I'll add that option as well. Thanks.

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

Posted : 16/04/2006 4:16 pm
Page 3 / 3