29 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Dear friends,

I ran my third marathon (42.195 km or 26.22 mi) this morning. I improved my personal record in this distance but I didn't achieve my goal. I'm not happy but today I can't analyze the results. As a psychologist told me the positive aspect is that personal record...

It was the first time I felt that which is called "the wall". At that moment you start to make yourself questions like what are you doing and why and to think it is better stop and return to home. I remembered how Paula Radcliffe cried in the Olympic Games and...

One of the strategies I followed to change my negative thoughts was to remember my guitar and this forum. So you also helped me to crossed the finish line.

Thanks a lot!

Posted : 22/04/2007 7:11 pm
(@rodders)
Noble Member

My daughter ran her very fist marathon today in London, came in at 4hrs 30 mins. A real achievement in my mind especially as it was so hot there today.
She has managed to raise over a thousand pounds for The Leukaemia & Intensive Chemotherapy fund (LINC) providing medical care and advice to the patients and their families at the Chetenham General hospital with the help of equipment and research.

Well done Abigail and well done Nuno and well done to anybody who has put that much effort into their training and preparation.

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

Posted : 22/04/2007 7:24 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Well done, Nuno! They say the sign of a perfectionist is being unhappy with what, to most people, would be a fantastic achievement. Hope you better your performance next time out, but you can be proud of what you've already achieved!

Well done, Abigail, too - and what a great cause to run for! Pass congrats on for me, Rod!

:D :D :D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 22/04/2007 7:42 pm
(@telemarker)
Trusted Member

As a psychologist told me the positive aspect is that personal record...

Congratulations on the PR! My wife is a certified Sport Psychology Consultant, you can check out her site for some more insight into the mental aspects of your sport (she specializes in endurance sports). She's got a newsletter you can sign up for that will give you regular articles on improving the mental side of your performance.

Again, congratulations and good luck on your next one! :wink:

Posted : 22/04/2007 7:48 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

My hat's off to you! I rode a bunch of bicycle "centuries" in fitter days, but a marathon's something else!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 22/04/2007 9:28 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

I'd like to be able to run like that.
I wonder how much it would cost to have something scary chase me very slowly?

#4491....

Posted : 22/04/2007 10:05 pm
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

The important thing is that you finished, also that you set a PR. Congrats :)

Posted : 23/04/2007 12:11 am
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Simply to finish a marathon is a good prize. To improve your PR also. To read these comments is the best one!
Thanks everybody for your words! :D

Rodders, 4h30m is a very good time. The goal for the first marathon must be simply finish it. Please, transmit my congratulations to Abigail. Maybe we could run a race together in the future!

Vic, I agree, I'm a perfectionist! I'm trying to record some blues and submit it for your comments but I didn't find the guitar tone... :lol:

Telemarker, thanks for the link. I'll check the site. The psychologists of the Mapoma are good friends of mine. They help me with the mental aspects. We train several strategies and yesterday I had to apply some ones. All kind of help is good!

Basically yesterday there was two troubles. First, it was a very hot day for running, there was around 26-28 degrees (Celsius) in the final part of the race and also there was a problem with the water (and other liquids) around the km 32. My body was dehydrating and this fact fired up the negative thoughts. Second, probably I started too faster. The pace at the first half was similar to my usual pace in half-marathon. It made I suffered more than necessary in the second one.

Anyway, thank you very much again! :D

Posted : 23/04/2007 1:46 pm
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

One of the strategies I followed to change my negative thoughts was to remember my guitar and this forum. So you also helped me to crossed the finish line.

No wonder I felt tired that day.... :wink:

Congratulations on a brilliant effort. Time I upped my exercise. Not that far though....

I charge very reasonable rates. Do you want a quote by the hour or the mile??

Posted : 24/04/2007 1:38 am
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

Well done, Nuno! They say the sign of a perfectionist is being unhappy with what, to most people, would be a fantastic achievement. Hope you better your performance next time out, but you can be proud of what you've already achieved!

Well done, Abigail, too - and what a great cause to run for! Pass congrats on for me, Rod!

:D :D :D :D :D

Vic

i echo that completely :!: :!: :!: :!: 8)

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

Posted : 24/04/2007 5:29 am
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter

No wonder I felt tired that day.... :wink:

:lol:

Chris, Ballybiker: Thanks!

Posted : 24/04/2007 6:55 pm
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member

Rodders wrote:
My daughter ran her very fist marathon today in London, came in at 4hrs 30 mins. A real achievement in my mind especially as it was so hot there today.
She has managed to raise over a thousand pounds for The Leukaemia & Intensive Chemotherapy fund (LINC) providing medical care and advice to the patients and their families at the Chetenham General hospital with the help of equipment and research.

Way to go Abbs :!: :!: :!: :!: :D :D :D :D

Rod, please pass our love and congrats on from Trish, Chris and the Lads

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

Posted : 24/04/2007 7:38 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I'd like to be able to run like that.

You could ask Ricochet to hire his bear out to you.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 24/04/2007 9:00 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Well, the bear ran from me in my Santa hat. So probably I in my hat should do the job.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 24/04/2007 9:44 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I run 2 miles a day on the tread mill ........ takes me almost half a month to do a marathon. Way to go Nuno!

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 24/04/2007 9:59 pm
Page 1 / 2