May Music Marathon

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Every year in May over here in NZ we celebrate New Zealand music month and this year is no exception. Our club the Kapiti Live Music Club will host a 12 hour music marathon. This year my friend (G) and I will perform, we get 20 - 30 minutes as we are only a duo but that's ok. We were hoping for 30 – 40 but there are so many performers wanting to get up there that spaces and timeslots are limited. We intend doing most of the following set:

River of time – Van Morrison (G:Vocals, Guitar, Harmonica Me: Bass guitar)
4&20 – CSNY (G:Vocals, Guitar, Harmonica Me: Bass guitar)
Need your love so bad – various artists (G:Vocals, Guitar, Harmonica Me: Bass guitar)
Ive got dreams to remember – Dilbert McClinton (G:Vocals, Guitar, Harmonica Me: Bass guitar)
Folsom Prison Blues – Johnny Cash (Me:Vocals, Guitar, G: guitar)
Angels and Demons – pbee (Me:Vocals, Guitar, G: guitar, harmonica)
I'll be a tree – pbee/Straycat (Me:Vocals, Guitar, G: guitar)
Still Blue - pbee (Me:Vocals, Guitar, G:flute, D: Conga)

We have about four other songs up our sleeve if we need them.
I've finally learnt to play B7 so “Folsom Prison Blues” is in, “Angels and Demons” is always a favorite so that's in. I also intend to play "I'll be a tree" which was a Sunday Songwriters Group collaboration between myself and Straycat. And for "Still Blue" we have arranged for another musician to play the Conga drum, this really brings this song to life along with the flute so I'm really looking forward to playing to wider audience. Ill let you know how things turn out. We need a name four our duo, so any ideas would be welcome.

Cheers
Paul

Check out my Reverbnation page here

Posted : 18/04/2008 6:10 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Congrats. Sounds like quite a big deal. How many people will you be playing in front of?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 18/04/2008 6:58 am
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

I'm just trying to figure out how G will play both guitar and flute on that final song!?!

Sounds kewl to me, though, especially as you'll be doing a few originals as part of it. Hopin' (and knowin') it goes well for ya!

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

Posted : 18/04/2008 7:43 am
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Roy, our time slot is 4.55 pm so by that time there should be quite a crowd up to 50 I guess based on last year. Later in the evening it gets very crowded. Last year we estimated about 1000 people came and went over that 12 hour period.

Thanks scrybe, doing originals is a very important component of our club. Oh and I took G's guitar away from him :) . He's good but not that good

cheers
Paul

Posted : 18/04/2008 9:17 am
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Good Luck, Pbee !

Posted : 18/04/2008 9:35 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Nice to see three originals in there, and all SSG creations too if I remember correctly! Hope everything goes OK. As for band name - perhaps PeeBeeGee?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 18/04/2008 3:30 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Best of luck on your gig Paul. 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 18/04/2008 10:05 pm
(@rob77)
Estimable Member

Man, Wish I could be there... 8)

"Who says you can't 'dive bomb' a bigsby?!"

Posted : 20/04/2008 3:16 am
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Thanks guys,
there should be a few pics come out of it and maybe a video if we can organise it

cheers
Paul

Posted : 20/04/2008 6:40 pm