Clear all

Moonie's in a new band!

9 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@moonrider)
Noble Member
Topic starter

I'm with a new band called "Southern Roots." It's real twangy, y'all ;)

Here's our schedule for the next month or so, for those who are, or might be, in the Central VA area at the time.

April 10: 8:00 PM - Namaw's Country Diner
16121 Goodes Bridge Rd, Amelia Courthouse, Virginia 23002

April 17: 9:00 PM - Chester Moose Lodge
9500 Jefferson Davis Highway, Chester, Virginia 23237

April 24: Private party

May 8 8:00 PM - Namaw's Country Diner
16121 Goodes Bridge Rd, Amelia Courthouse, Virginia 23002

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

Posted : 26/03/2010 1:45 pm
(@moonrider)
Noble Member
Topic starter

David, thanks for the mention in the GN newsletter! I feel famous!

There's a ton of updates to the schedule y'all - here's the new one.

April 10: 8:00 PM
Namaw's Country Diner

16121 Goodes Bridge Rd
Amelia Court Hse, VA 23002-4850
(804) 561-6043

April 16: 9:00 PM
Hooah's Sports Grill with special guest Freddy Talley

5380 Oaklawn Blvd.
Prince George, VA 23875
(804) 452-0022 phone

April 17: 9:00 PM
Chester Moose Lodge

9500 Jefferson Davis Highway
Richmond, VA 23237
(804) 275-1406

April 24: Private party

May 1: 5:00PM
Boondocks (outdoor show)

2220 Broad Rock Boulevard
Richmond, VA 23224-4810
(804) 231-6938

May 8: 8:00 PM
Namaw's Country Diner

16121 Goodes Bridge Rd
Amelia Court Hse, VA 23002-4850
(804) 561-6043

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Posted : 04/04/2010 5:21 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Good luck with the new band, Moonrider. Looks like plenty of gigs. I saw a trio from up your way a few weeks back as the opening act for Bill Kirchen. The name escapes me. I'll look for it and report back. two acoustic guitar, one electric bass guitar line-up. Good vocals.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 06/04/2010 4:11 pm
(@moonrider)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Good luck with the new band, Moonrider. Looks like plenty of gigs. I saw a trio from up your way a few weeks back as the opening act for Bill Kirchen. The name escapes me. I'll look for it and report back. two acoustic guitar, one electric bass guitar line-up. Good vocals.

Bill Kirchen rawks! I'm gonna be in Graham sometime between May 2nd and May 6th for the opening of a friend's studio. Gonna be a bunch of people from all over the place throwin' down and makin' music that week.

Posted : 07/04/2010 12:06 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Bill Kirchen rawks! I'm gonna be in Graham sometime between May 2nd and May 6th for the opening of a friend's studio. Gonna be a bunch of people from all over the place throwin' down and makin' music that week.
Sweet! That's only about 30-40 minutes from me.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 07/04/2010 1:56 pm
(@moonrider)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Well, I reckon i better do a gig report on this one ;)

Venue: Namaw's Country Diner
A little bit of music history here . . . "Namaw" was the wife of bluegrass pioneer Pete Pike, and grandson Chris Pike is one of the current owners. Sunday afternoon bluegrass has been a tradition here since the place opened. They're currently expanding the lower level into a 1000 sq. foot performance venue and have started bringing bands in on Saturday night also. Unfortunately the downstairs hasn't been finished yet, so we set up in the much smaller upstairs lounge. Gotta love those "intimate" venues - lead singer Kathy and I were unintentionally bumpin' butts all night long.

Overall the gig went very well, especially when you consider consider I've practiced with the band a whole 6 times. Little Moonie's been a woodsheddin' fool for the last 6 weeks. I managed to avoid any obvious clams, and even garnered a compliment on the "unusual, jazzy lead" in Margaritaville ( Kathy and I bumped in the middle of the solo and I got, um, distracted )

Fan response was good, they were up and dancing. it's a pretty family oriented spot, so we had a couple of toddlers and their parents join in the fun too. Chris and Jason definately liked us. They kicked in a bit extra at the end of the night for a tip, and we'll be returning there for the Amelia day celebration on May 8, and have two more engagements scheduled there later in the year

Hooah's is next up on Friday. Freddy Talley will be sitting in on drums, and George will be ticklin' the ivories for this one. From a family restaurant to a motel lounge . . . this oughtta be good!

For the gearheads . . .

Equipment used:

Amp: Epiphone Valve jr with Weber Mini Mass attenuator
Yes, I'm running an attenuator on a 5 watt amp and gigging that way! The attenuator uses a speaker driver, and has a line out after the driver. I'm using the attenuator on the "bypass" setting for the line out to the PA. The darker, gritty vintage sound of the VJ makes a sweet contrast to the glossy, slick blackface sound of Mel's Deluxe. That way I have a distinct voice without overwhelming the rest of the band. Since we have tons of muscle in the PA, I'm able to have a nice light gig rig with plenty of stage volume and no worries about being heard in the audience.

Effects chain ( in sequence ): tuner, Boss CS-3 compressor, "Bad Monkey" overdrive, Line 6 tremolo, and Ibanez analog delay.

Guitar: "Crystal", a G&L ASAT Classic

Posted : 12/04/2010 12:30 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Sounds like a good time then. Congrats on making it through your first-with-new-band gig. 8)

Roy

Posted : 12/04/2010 9:49 pm
(@moonrider)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Sounds like a good time then. Congrats on making it through your first-with-new-band gig. 8)

Hey - it's only a two hour drive from Raleigh to Hopewell, and less than that if you're up near Henderson or Norlina way. I had an uncle in Wise, and after 85 opened up he'd make it from Wise to my door in Midlothian in 90 minutes. Come on up and crash the party! We're playin' Hooah's Sports Grill at the day's Inn just outside Fort Lee (see the first post for addresses for google maps or GPS)

Posted : 13/04/2010 12:46 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Sounds like something that can happen a few months out, hopefully. I'm a solid 2 hours to Petersburg. Once I get back on my bike, that's when you never know where I'll end up. You're never lost on a motorcycle if you have gas in the tank and room on the plastic for more. :)

I'm doing a Smith Mountain Lake Trip in a few weeks. Quick week-ender. Brother in law does some gigs in Lynchburg and at the lake. Hope he's got one scheduled for that weekend.

Roy

Posted : 13/04/2010 2:33 am