Clear all

Musician's Friend Buys Music123

11 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Jeez, so now it's pretty much down to two big online shops: MF or Zzounds/SameDayMusic. How long do Elderly, Sweetwater, American Musical and the other smaller players stick around?

November 22, 2006 11:28 AM Eastern Time
Guitar Center Signs Agreement to Acquire Substantially All the Assets of The Woodwind & The Brasswind
Proposed Asset Purchase Arrangement Through The Woodwind & The Brasswind Bankruptcy Will Expand the Company's Direct Response Division

WESTLAKE VILLAGE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Guitar Center today announced that it has signed an asset purchase agreement to acquire substantially all the assets of The Woodwind & The Brasswind under section 363 of the United States Bankruptcy Code. Under the terms of the agreement, Guitar Center will acquire The Woodwind & The Brasswind's inventory of band and orchestra and combo instruments, accounts receivable, trade names and certain other intangible assets. The transaction is subject to a number of conditions, including bankruptcy court approval, and is also subject to overbid at a bankruptcy auction expected to be held in January 2007.

Marty Albertson, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Guitar Center, said, “The acquisition of assets of The Woodwind & The Brasswind, including the Woodwind and Brasswind and Music123 websites, will enable us to further expand the already strong combo instrument business at Musician's Friend as well as build out our direct response band and orchestra business. We are excited about the opportunity to broaden our customer base and continue the growth of our direct response business.”

The Woodwind & The Brasswind filed for bankruptcy protection in Indiana on November 21, 2006. The proposed asset acquisition agreement was entered into by the Musician's Friend subsidiary of Guitar Center. Under the agreement, only very limited trade obligations and other pre-petition liabilities of The Woodwind & The Brasswind are being assumed.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

Posted : 29/11/2006 5:13 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Well, sounds like Music123 went belly up on their own. MF bought their assets.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 29/11/2006 5:34 pm
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Hopefully now they will carry more lefty acoustic and electric guitars.

I can get Samick only on Music123, same with Alavarez and Fender lefty acoustics...

Posted : 29/11/2006 5:39 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

kewl! maybe the local MF will start carrying samick and bennett guitars now.

#4491....

Posted : 29/11/2006 5:42 pm
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

The Bennett Jazz-boxes are way cool.

Posted : 29/11/2006 5:56 pm
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

I agree with Ricochet. Musician's Friend is just picking the bankruptcy bones of what is left of Music123. I didn't know they were in bankruptcy - looks like they had an auction scheduled for January. I just bought my '51 from them - glad I didn't know about the bankruptcy or I might have been nervous to place an order - it got here just fine.

Posted : 29/11/2006 7:12 pm
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Those "bankruptcy bones" belonged to the third-largest instrument retailer in the US. :lol:

One less major competitor to GC/MF, one less alternative for us shoppers.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

Posted : 29/11/2006 8:08 pm
(@margaret)
Noble Member

slejhamer wrote: One less major competitor to GC/MF, one less alternative for us shoppers.

No great loss, IMO. Music123 and the Woodwind Brasswind retail store in northern Indiana were the worst excuses for customer service I've ever seen.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

Posted : 30/11/2006 4:52 am
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

slejhamer wrote: One less major competitor to GC/MF, one less alternative for us shoppers.

No great loss, IMO. Music123 and the Woodwind Brasswind retail store in northern Indiana were the worst excuses for customer service I've ever seen.

Margaret

Maybe thats why they went belly up :? ..Its all about service and how your treated, so far MF has ALWAYS done right by me :wink: But on the other hand slejhamer has a good point...we don't really need a "Wall Mart" in the music biz.....I hate Wall Mart :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 30/11/2006 5:18 am
(@ksac32)
Reputable Member

anyone remember marsmusic-one day it just started redirecting to musiciansfriend.com

http://www.soundclick.com/kensacco
http://www.soundclick.com/thetools

Posted : 22/12/2006 3:01 am
(@razzlemacher)

Yep - and I got a great deal on a Yamaha Apx 400 when they were closing down.
I liked Mars Music though. Oh well. :?

Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself - George Bernard Shaw

Posted : 22/12/2006 3:36 am