Clear all

MX tabs bought by musicnotes.com

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I read today that musicnotes.com has bought mxtabs. The site will go back online as a free tab site with ad generated revenues going to publishers.

An interesting development in the copyright debates, I'd say.

You can read about it here.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 31/03/2007 8:30 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

IMHO, free tab sites can only be good for the industry - it'll get more people playing the songs they want. Maybe only a very small percentage of those players will actually translate learning music from tabs to writing their own music and making it big - sheet music sales may suffer, but there'll always be proper musicians who can actually read music who will buy the proper sheet music to songs they really want.

I've bought guitar magazines because they've had a tab in I REALLY wanted - I could have probably bought the sheet music for a lot less, but hey - I can't read music, and I enjoy the interviews etc.....

And I promise you - if I should ever be lucky enough to have a hit record (OKAY....I've still got dreams!) you'll see the tab here first - even if I have to sue myself for breach of copywright....

:D :D :D

vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 31/03/2007 8:43 pm
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Hey, Vic, we'll hold you to that promise when the time comes! :wink:

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 31/03/2007 10:18 pm
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Here's an article in today's NY Times re. the sale:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/02/technology/02ecom.html?ref=technology

Don

Posted : 02/04/2007 3:31 pm
 klim
(@klim)
Reputable Member