Notifications
Clear all

My amazing nephew....

24 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Aggies? Horns? Sooners? Red River Shootout?

Memo to self Buy Dictionary....American English to English English......

Actually I almost understood Horns/Longhorns - guess that's something to do with Texas Beef?

:? :? :?

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 27/05/2007 4:46 am
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Congratulations to him! And you too! :D

Posted : 27/05/2007 8:58 am
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

BTW EB my nephew Steven is an English major. He plans to teach English in college. (I know you like that sort of thing :D )
We do love our nephews and nieces don't we :D

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 27/05/2007 9:04 am
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Congrats, I can see why you're so proud. :)

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 27/05/2007 12:49 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Wow, congratulations, to Jeff, and to his proud aunt EB! :D :D :D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 27/05/2007 1:11 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Aggies? Horns? Sooners? Red River Shootout?

Memo to self Buy Dictionary....American English to English English......

Actually I almost understood Horns/Longhorns - guess that's something to do with Texas Beef?

:? :? :?

Vic

LOL! I guess you had to be there! :D

Actually, the University of Oklahoma's football (American football) team is called the Sooners. The University of Texas' team is called the Longhorns (for our longhorn cattle).

The Longhorns "battle cry" is "Hook 'em Horns!" But, I'm not exactly sure why the Sooners are called the Sooners. Perhaps Geoo could enlighten us!

The A&M in Texas A&M University stand for Agricultural and Mechanical, so their students and alumni are called "Aggies".

And this explains the Red River Shootout! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 27/05/2007 4:16 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

The Sooners thing goes back to when the Oklahoma Territory was opened up by the U.S. government to settlement by white folk (one of those broken treaties with the Native Americans), who weren't allowed to cross the line to start staking their property claims until a designated time. People being what they are, some didn't wait until the appointed time and started sooner. They were called "Sooners." Some of their descendants seem to take a certain pride in that.

At least, that's how I learned it in elementary school in Alabama, from whence many of the Native Americans were deported forcibly to what is now Oklahoma. (Over what was known as "The Trail of Tears.") Before any of my ancestors got there, as far as I know.

Rogers & Hammerstein wrote an upbeat musical play about early Oklahoma; not many memorable guitar solos in it.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 27/05/2007 5:02 pm
(@eirraca)
Estimable Member

Congrats! Sounds like he needs some musical accomplishments now... :wink:

Posted : 27/05/2007 6:03 pm
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

At least, that's how I learned it in elementary school in Alabama, from whence many of the Native Americans were deported forcibly to what is now Oklahoma. (Over what was known as "The Trail of Tears.") Before any of my ancestors got there, as far as I know.

Thats the way we learned it here in Oklahoma too. Norman, where I live, is the place where University of Oklahoma is located. I can see the stadium from neighborhood.

Anyways, she got my little jab and all meant in fun. I am thrilled for your nephew.. Sounds like he has a great future.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 27/05/2007 9:24 pm
Page 2 / 2