My LAST gig w/Life is Drama

29 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@tommy-guns)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

Thanks Apache!!! :wink:

Ambition is the path to success...persistence is the vehicle you arrive in!!!

Posted : 07/10/2012 1:06 pm
(@tommy-guns)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

Thanks Apache!! :wink:

Posted : 08/10/2012 1:40 pm
(@hammer1)
Trusted Member

Sorry to hear about that TG. It's their loss though and I have a feeling you'll be better off. Good luck going forward. I'll miss the gig reports. Hopefully we see some down the line with you back in the saddle with a new band and ripping it up ! :-)

Posted : 10/10/2012 3:58 pm
(@tommy-guns)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

Thanks Hammer1!!! Already working on a new project!! :D

Posted : 10/10/2012 6:33 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Thanks Hammer1!!! Already working on a new project!! :D

All the best with that, Tommy.....nice guys don't always finish last, sometimes karma kicks the bad guys in the teeth..... or even trips 'em up....looking forward to your (always entertaining) gig reports from the new project, hope it's a BIG success!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 12/10/2012 1:20 am
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

Tommy, I don't think I have ever replied on one of your gig report threads, but I do always read and enjoy them.

Sorry it turned out the way it did, that has to be a pain in the ass!

My singer always used to tell me I had no stage presence, and I don't. I never will have have, it's not me I am too shy a person to look at the crowd when I play. I must be boring to watch, and I have been told the same by audience members, so I sort of understand what you are saying.

However, being in a band is much more than that surely... If note boat says you can play, then you can play!!! So stuff them!!

Thanks for the gig reports, get back ithe game and give us some more!!

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

Posted : 13/10/2012 6:36 pm
(@tommy-guns)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

Thanks Almann!! I'll be sure to post updates!!! Glad to see/hear a LOT of people read my posts!! :D

Posted : 14/10/2012 11:14 am
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

As someone who also doesn't have much stage presence I have to add my two cents. Al, actually I think it IS important not as important as knowing your parts and playing them well but probably close after those two.

I mean you aren't there to just play music you need to entertain people also. I saw a band a few months back and they played very well but no one even moved on stage they were like statues. It's hard as an audience member to get into the music when the band doesn't even seem to be.

Anyone can go out there and regurgitate songs (thats what I do) but so can a million other bands so you have to give the audience more than that.

I can't tell you what exactly you have to do before it gets in the realm of cheesy but you have get into a bit and it's more than just smiling at the audience, you have to draw them into it.

For people like us that it doesn't come naturlly you have to work on it like anything else.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 14/10/2012 1:21 pm
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Eh, time off is a good thing. You wife will be happy seeing you more anyway and not having you lugging gear in at 4am. The reality is this break is a valuable. Take half a year off and just play at home and have fun doing songs YOU want to do. That can really refocus your energy.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

Posted : 14/10/2012 4:17 pm
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

As someone who also doesn't have much stage presence I have to add my two cents. Al, actually I think it IS important not as important as knowing your parts and playing them well but probably close after those two.

I mean you aren't there to just play music you need to entertain people also. I saw a band a few months back and they played very well but no one even moved on stage they were like statues. It's hard as an audience member to get into the music when the band doesn't even seem to be.

Anyone can go out there and regurgitate songs (thats what I do) but so can a million other bands so you have to give the audience more than that.

I can't tell you what exactly you have to do before it gets in the realm of cheesy but you have get into a bit and it's more than just smiling at the audience, you have to draw them into it.

For people like us that it doesn't come naturlly you have to work on it like anything else.

After thinking about it, you are definitely right cnev, we do have a responsibility to improve in all areas if we are asking for money to play. I guess that is the one thing we need to keep in mind, we are being employed by the pub and they want a certain level of performance beyond just musical competence.

I still sympathize with Tommy though, he is obviously a very good player, surely the other band members could do the "performance bit" for him?

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

Posted : 14/10/2012 4:52 pm
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

That's what the "front man" is for. Ask Bill Wyman. Hardly move at all, but you know he's there.

Yeah yeah, you can't really ask Wyman, but you get the idea.

Posted : 14/10/2012 10:10 pm
(@tommy-guns)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

Well, IMO I do interact w/the crowd & I don't just stare at my shoes. I've gotten a LOT better over the years. I pay more attention to the crowd than I do my band. I know what they're doing...I see them at band practice every week. I smile at the crowd and if the crowd is into it then I'm into it. If they're not into it & I have to be honest...it really sucks being there. I play well, make minimal mistakes and the most applause I get is after I play the "Sweet Child O' Mine" solo. The women LOVE the groove I lay down when I start "Save A Horse" & "Crazy B*tch" they're all moving to the dance floor.

What I don't do is I DON'T switch sides of the stage every 2 songs, run around the stage, jump off the drum riser, make "cheesy rock star" poses when I'm playing leads, have a "LETS GO CRAZY" painted on the back of my guitar to flip over to show the audience who could really care less. If we had crowds like the 80's music videos I could see it be we didn't. Another thing, I'm not a LOOK AT ME kinda person, I don't CRAVE attention. I'm very personable I walk around before passing out cards to all the tables and thank them for coming out. Between sets I talk to people who've come out if they seem interested in that. Otherwise I just leave them alone, I'm NOT a salesman. If you want to buy what I'm selling GREAT!! If not, I'm not going to bother you.

Posted : 14/10/2012 10:28 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Hey Tommy I hear you. You have to be yourself. It's not easy and it doesn't come naturally for me either.

I think it's not necessarily showing off I'd call it more theatrics and personally if done right adds a bit to the "show" as long as the band is tight and the music is good otherwise it comes off as cheesy.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 15/10/2012 11:25 am
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Hey Tommy I hear you. You have to be yourself. It's not easy and it doesn't come naturally for me either.

I think it's not necessarily showing off I'd call it more theatrics and personally if done right adds a bit to the "show" as long as the band is tight and the music is good otherwise it comes off as cheesy.
OK... so I havent been in a band yet.. but in other things in life Ive had to jump out more to the forefront.. Im a quite guy mostly. I tend to not be the type that realy jumps out, and gets attention. More the wall flower type. I tend to aproch this stuff the same way a actor does. When I need to be out in front, or getting attention, I think of my self acting that part. May not work for everyone, but it has worked for me.

Paul B

Posted : 15/10/2012 12:00 pm
Page 2 / 2