Clear all

My Little New Recording Project

16 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter

I'm trying to learn the interface and sound available in Logic Pro (new to that DAW). So, I've begun a little blog, a musical diary. I'm gonna be testing myself by trying to create a new track from completely scratch (at least 30 seconds, but aiming for more where possible) within an hour every day. Well, every day I have a spare hour to do it in, anyway. The music wont be very commercial, the point is to test the system and my skills, rather than to shoot for a polished pop song. You've been warned.

Anyway, if you want to take a look, I'd appreciate any feedback on the tracks I'll be posting (starting tomorrow - it's now midnight here). The link is http://www.audioflasher.blogspot.com/ hopefully it'll be entertaining, and I'll be posting details of the sounds used in each track and any tips or new things I've learned about the Logic interface (if you're already really familiar with Logic it will likely be old hat to you, but if you're still learning the basics, the tips might help). And if you're bored at work, a minute or two of sometimes illogical Logic improvisation might make a change from the latest lolz cat email or rickroll. I'm focussing on the sounds within Logic at the moment with this one as I'm doing it from my laptop and fitting it in whenever I get a few minutes spare (I have a time manager widget to make sure I don't go over the hour), but I'm hoping to move it into using other software with it and recording live instruments (guitar improvisations). The point is to do some daily improvisation and to stretch myself to work and learn quickly in Logic.

Feedback is great, questions are great. And all that stuff. Just bear in mind it's rough stuff. :shock: :lol:

Oh, and if anyone wants to get involved (record a response, or do their own hour-production one day), go for it. Now, I just have to figure out how I'm gonna link my audio (and get some sleep....)

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

Posted : 31/05/2010 10:08 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Cool idea!! Hope you get some good tracks laid out when improvising!!

I'll be keeping track of it!

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 01/06/2010 2:51 am
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Good luck with the new blog!

Posted : 01/06/2010 8:12 am
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thanks guys! I'm gonna grab some food and then get down to mixing my first experiment. Expect to see it posted in an hour or two. :shock: :D

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

Posted : 01/06/2010 1:25 pm
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Woo hoo! Just posted it.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

Posted : 01/06/2010 4:13 pm
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Hey, that was a blast! What a cool idea for a project. I can't believe you just give yourself an hour. :shock:
Is there any way you can set up an RSS 'subscribe to feed' type thing? I'd like to hear all the entries as it develops.
:)

Don

Posted : 01/06/2010 4:36 pm
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter

I'm sure there is, but I'm inept at internet stuff. I also want to put a pic in the boxnet files I embed, but I dunno how. Will try to figure out how to add rss to the site asap tho, thanks for stopping by! This one did overrun the hour by a little bit, but I pulled it off without EQing or compressing anything as I felt dealing with positioning the sounds roughly was more important.

I'm pretty stoked with how it turned out as well, especially given that I didn't know how to mix in the software at all, and didn't have anything planned before I sat down to record it. Really exhilarating, but there's no way I could do it daily, so it'll be every other day or so, with audio flash posts interspersed with comments about new gear I'm looking at or stuff I've learned. But the focus will be on the sonic experiments. Feedback comments on the sound of the experiments is always welcomed (I've just tweaked the site so anyone can post comments, you don't have to be registered).

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

Posted : 01/06/2010 5:20 pm
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

scrybe. I like it. I especially like the realizations you gained. it takes time and more time. I find that several hours can go poof
in a matter of minutes. it is addicting and exhilarating.
your first run out is too cool for school. we must talk and link our web sites.
we must collab together as well.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 01/06/2010 6:40 pm
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Looks classy, and sounds good, especially for the first time out with a bunch of new tools.

One thing I discovered though.
The internet filter at work thinks "flasher" is a naughty word, and sent me a nasty automatic message about accessing "inappropriate" material at work. :roll:
Don't worry, I'm not in any kind of trouble. The filter catches almost everyone for completely innocent stuff all the time.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

Posted : 02/06/2010 1:28 am
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thanks for taking a look Kent, glad you liked it. And sorry for the "inappropriate content" warning, I didn't think about that when naming the project. :oops: Oh well, I've started with it now, so I'll keep with it. Unless it means people get blocked from viewing.

Just posted an update, no audio. As a 'side project' I'm gonna be commenting on the various music hosting sites available and how useful they are. I've already had a bunch of places recommended to me, and they each have different merits depending on how you plan to use the audio upload, so that's worth checking in on every now and then. Some of them have really great potential. Planning another audio by the weekend, just thinking up a methodology for it and stockpiling a few methodologies for future experiments to keep delays between experiments down to a minimum (any suggestions are really welcome - just some rules I have to follow to make sure I work spontaneously and swiftly, or learn something new). That, and I'm too lazy to work on a day as hot and sunny as today. I'm all 8) outside instead. Gorgeous.

Oh, if anyone is already signed up with the music sites I'm evaluating for the side-project, please do add me (if you can't find me, beep me on here and I'll try finding you), so I can learn how well the follow/friend/similar functions work. Massively appreciated, thanks!

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

Posted : 02/06/2010 3:09 pm
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

I like your project scrybe. I follow another blog where the guy is writing and recording a song every week. I know if I did some time constraint on myself, it would make me write and record more, but I haven't found the right thing yet. I've got some experimental stuff like you're doing as well. I found a bunch of VST synths and have recorded several weird songs and noises just experimenting with them.

Bass player for Undercover

Posted : 03/06/2010 2:10 am
(@blueline)
Noble Member

I have not yet listened but will make the promise to do so. (It's late and my kids are sleeping) However, I love the idea and wish you all the best! I know how difficult it is learning new tools. Heck, I'm stil trying to learn Pro Tools. (I purchased a book, looked at it and then put it down :oops: )

Will check soon in to see/hear your progress.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Posted : 03/06/2010 3:48 am
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thx Blueline and jwmartin!

I'm hoping to quickly master the current track and repost it (later today, if I get time).

I've also just updated with a project I'm planning that requires as many volunteers as possible. The timeline for it to be completed is a month or two, so you'll have plenty of time to play your part if you contribute (just need 30 seconds-2 minutes of improvised music from each person who signs up) - details can be found here http://audioflasher.blogspot.com/2010/06/audio-flash-experiment-volunteers.html

I'm also trying to understand RSS feeds well enough to figure out how to make my blog so ppl can sign up to get notified each time I update it - I'm really confused by how to do that, so if anyone knows how (esp on blogspot, which is the blogsite I'm using), your help would be massive!

Oh, and I want an Audio Flash logo (or logos), so if anyone's a whizz at graphic design software and wants to help with that, pls let me know and I'll buzz you about logo dimensions, text, and any ideas I have for the feel. As before, this would be massively appreciated.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

Posted : 03/06/2010 5:56 am
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I'm also trying to understand RSS feeds well enough to figure out how to make my blog so ppl can sign up to get notified each time I update it - I'm really confused by how to do that, so if anyone knows how (esp on blogspot, which is the blogsite I'm using), your help would be massive!
You don't have to do anything. You don't have to notify to people. You only must update the blog. People that is reading your feed will know you did it.

You can get your feed url in you own page, your browser will help (if you use services like Google Reader, it will know how to get it). Your RSS feed is feed://audioflasher.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default?alt=rss

Now, my experience with blogs. I speak about them with several friends. It is not a good idea try to post with a specific periodicity (is it correct periodicity?). It is different in your case because you are sharing something you are already doing every day.

Blogs are the easy way to publish contents on the internet. You only must take care of the contents. In this case, Blogspot (ie. Google) is in charge of the technical aspects.

Posted : 03/06/2010 8:40 am
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Good stuff, Nuno! Thanks.
I'm all subscrybed to the RSS feed. :wink:

Don

Posted : 03/06/2010 5:11 pm
Page 1 / 2