17 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Well, gosh. Where do I start?

I can't even recall the last time I was here but it seems it's been too long.

It's been a tumultuous year, tho not as devistating as some on here.

Mostly, I've been concentrating on my band Caught In The Act that has been gigging almost every weekend this year, so far. I think things there are cooling off as our "fall" schedule isn't near as busy.

I've also had a run-in with an ice storm back in January and basically caved in my rib cage to the point of having to be on Meds just to fulfill my gigging obligations. To date, I have no discomfort, pain or limited mobility any more.

I've help my oldest and youngest daughters get into their first homes. This is on going projects like tree removal, yard management, gas grill building, etc.

If anyone remembers my buying spree with guitars a few years back, I just got done with damage control after doing the same thing with drum sets. The biggest difference is that the drum sets take up way more space than guitars. :lol:

The second worsts event to take place this year was I got laid off from my IT job back in May. Being the guy with 9 years doesn't beat out the one with 20 years so after the 911 layoffs, I was on the chopping block again. Only this time my goal was to NOT have to go back should I be recalled. So within 4 weeks of the layoff I had secured an employment opportunity which really worked out. Lo and behold, PT called me back (on the 5th week) and this time I was able to say, "No thanks." So I have left that part of my career behind and am now a certified Network Analyst. This simply means I do the same job but get to go on site to this companies clients and perform the same services that I did for my previous company. The best part is they supply a vehicle for my use on and off the job. Along with that they supply a company laptop and cell phone.

Lastly, the most devistating part was losing some good friends this year. Most recently my best friend. So I'm bleeding internally on that one and that will sting for a long time.

I had to sell my Mustang GT to pay off my debts for my musical gear purchases and really am sitting pretty good financially.

If I sell the guitars I have listed in the Swap Meet thread, I'll be doing really well and when things start to look brighter, I can always purchase another guitar. Right now, there's no music in my heart and these guitars need to go to good homes.

It's good to be back and to all the Birthdays that have occurred in the last 6-8 months that I've missed, I wish you all a very happy belated birthday wish.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 16/07/2009 1:55 pm
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Omigosh, I'm sorry for you, but you have a good outlook, and a plan, and will make it.

Of course your life and your situation matters, though many people, I can't speak for them, are struggling silently to make things work; not always able to share personal issues?

I'm extremely happy that you have a new job and it seems to be going well. I've PM'd you, and am embarassed before this forum, but I can't buy the guitars since my friends & family must come first.

At least I didn't explain my situation to the forum, there's no need, but it is uncanny my estranged wife is absolutely gunnin' for me to sell my Mustang, which I can no longer afford to drive - I've put all of 50 miles on it since I got it (for racing). :roll:

And before I read this post where you mention helping your daughters which is great - I have to keep saving and sending money continuously to my youngest for her education, and also, I need to help my best friend who had a stroke a few days ago, last weekend.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

Posted : 16/07/2009 2:25 pm
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

good to hear from you Bish.
life throws curve balls all the time.
the trick is learning how to catch them or dodge them.
you seem to be doing it fine.
on my side of things, I can't seem to see the darn balls.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 16/07/2009 2:32 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thanks for the PM, Blue Jay. It's good to get to know you.

We are strong (you and I) and from the sound of things will make it out of these current situations, though it seems like the light at the other end isn't very bright.

I've been kicked many times and continue to get back up. Not sure why...LOL.

Dogbite, you need a bigger catchers mitt. For me the curve balls are OK, it's the sliders that almost did me in. This week has been the most dificult to date but I believe I'll be ok. A few weeks of "down and out" and time to heal and I'll be back in the game.

Bish

Posted : 16/07/2009 3:11 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Bish,

I wrote a long post but again it got lost somewhere that seems to happen alot not sure why.

I'll spare you all the details but I've had very similar issue myself, sold my Mustang GT also, lost both of my two best friends (although each was two years ago), both my parents and my wife has been battling breast cancer, plus I've been on the chopping block for the last couple of layoffs also. These layoffs have become an annual thing for the last 5 years or so and I am also in IT and in our company seniority means nothing the longer you've been around the more of a target you are. Had my walking papers twice and got a reprieve from the govenor both times so that's been good, if not I propably would have killed myself.

Still think about my parents and my buddies every day and although the wife's cancer seems to be in remission it's still a day to day thing that will never go away.

There's not much to do but keep on keepin on and try to take some time for yourself!

Good luck and good to see you back.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 16/07/2009 4:04 pm
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

having gone through much loss of family members, suffering a few heart breaks, and a housse burning down...
I come to believe that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger...and
when our number comes up nothing we can do will prevent the outcome.

in the mean time...I follow a few personal rules...
pay attention;
what is essential is often invisible;
some things can wait till tomorrow;
if you find yourself not wanting to do something, it is better to do it;
less is more;
more doesn't hurt, but don't OD;
and lastly, love rules, hate doesn't.

Posted : 16/07/2009 4:25 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Wow, we've gone through some tough times, huh?

My issues seem trite in comparison.

Bish

Posted : 16/07/2009 5:40 pm
(@dhutson)
Estimable Member

Bish, you will be in my prayers until things smooth out.

Dwayne

http://www.soundclick.com/wayneroberts

Posted : 16/07/2009 7:10 pm
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

Wow, we've gone through some tough times, huh?

My issues seem trite in comparison.
never think that. rough is rough no matter what.
hang in there. good stuff awaits you.
and then it is rough again.
kinda like learning guitar....by comparison.

Posted : 16/07/2009 7:23 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thanks, Dwayne. I appreciate the sentiment.

hang in there. good stuff awaits you.
and then it is rough again.
kinda like learning guitar....by comparison.
LOL, ok I feel better now... :? :lol:

Bish

Posted : 16/07/2009 8:02 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Hey Bish! :D

Sorry to hear of your troubles, guess we all have those though huh? Keep getting back up like you said you do.

Glad to hear about your new job. Sounds a lot better for you.

Take care,
Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 16/07/2009 10:04 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Hi bish! While it's really good to see you on the boards again, I hate that it's continued to be a rough one for you. Nothing like a combo of illness, family suffering and a bum economy to send you a trifecta. My analogy is more of a knuckle-ball than a curve or slider. Not even the pitcher knows where a knuckler is going.

I've survived a ton of chopping blocks, normally lasting until the bitter end before getting the axe. I have worked for 4 companies that do not exist anymore. Two of them were real heart-breakers too. Only jumped jobs once in my IT career. I know that when I get to finally go back that many of the good people that sat near me have been laid-off. Glad I wasn't there to see it. I probably would have been laid off as well too though.

I have not checked out your stash on the swap board yet, but I already know I can't do any of them. Being on disability meant a small reduction....and that of course means the entertainment portion of the budget is toast. Knock on wood, but I've been able to keep my bike. It's paid for, as is her bike too, but I want to be able to ride it again.

Stay strong Bish! You've always shown some pretty good character. Keeping that through all of this ain't easy, but you have to do it. No-one can take the good-guy status away from you. 8)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 17/07/2009 12:36 pm
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

I was wondering where you'd been Bish. Sorry to hear how rough things have been for you, but I'm hoping things improve.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

Posted : 17/07/2009 9:31 pm
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi Bish,

Sorry to hear it's been a patchy time for you, but glad to see you here again. I often think of you as a I walk past my son's drum kit, and wonder how your drumming and guitar is going.

Here's looking forward to the better times ahead.

Cheers,

Chris

Posted : 18/07/2009 1:21 am
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Welcome back, drummer man.

Posted : 18/07/2009 1:54 pm
Page 1 / 2