Clear all

Nashville suggestions

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@specialsof)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I think there is a number of Nashville people who hang out here, so maybe you can give me some advice.

I am going to the Chet Atkins Appreciation Society national convention next week, so will be in Nashville for a week - from July 11 to July 18, 2011. The convention is four full days. Also curious, anyone here go to that?

Anyone have good suggestions of things I should do or visit (music venue's) during the other days? Looking for good music, jams, whatever. I am aware of the Grand Ole Opry, etc., but thinking of more local type stuff.

Posted : 05/07/2011 11:36 am
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Calling JWMartin!

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 05/07/2011 1:06 pm
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

You rang, sir? :D

The tourist venues are mostly downtown on Broadway. Just head down there and you'll see some pretty good and pretty bad street musicians. You'll definitely want to hit Tootsie's Orchid Lounge, they have live music all the time. Legends Corner, The Stage, and Second Fiddle are all legendary places as well. During the day, you gotta check out Earnest Tubb's record shop and go in to Gruhn Guitars and drool at some of the sweetest guitars you've ever seen.

I know there are some places that host jams, I'll do some research when I get home tonight and let you know.

From Broadway, 2nd Ave is right around the corner. There's a B.B King's there and the Wildhorse Saloon. There's some dance clubs along there too. There are a few other places that change names constantly, but you sometimes catch a good acoustic act in them.

If you'd like to check out some rock n roll, pick up a copy of the Nashville Scene and see who's playing at the Exit/In, the End, the Cannery Ballroom or Mercy Lounge. The muse and Springwater are both hole in wall dives, but every once in a while you'll catch a good band there (like my band :) )

In addition to the Country Music Hall of Fame, there is the Musicians Hall of Fame. I have not been to it, but a friend told me it is a very cool thing to do. As for "Music Row", you'd probably be bored to tears. It's basically 2 streets worth of office buildings.

On the 16th, you can come to the TSU campus and watch me and my son kick some a** in a martial arts tournament :)

Bass player for Undercover

Posted : 05/07/2011 4:48 pm
(@specialsof)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Thank you my friend, those sound like some great suggestions. I will get my mapquest ready so I can find some of these places.

I had totally forgot about Earnest Tubb's record shop and Gruhn Guitars, looking forward to those as well.

Posted : 05/07/2011 6:47 pm