Posted : 01/10/2007 5:37 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Thanks for the notice, i may change the menu to steak tonite in observance

#4491....

Posted : 01/10/2007 6:18 pm
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Just returned from several days in the Knoxville/Gatlinburg/Newport area. Visual evidence suggests there are no emaciated veggie-lovers in the Vol State.

-=tension & release=-

Posted : 01/10/2007 6:36 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

They are thin on the ground, for sure.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 01/10/2007 7:10 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

...is today. I had a Whopper to celebrate. :mrgreen:

Tut, tut, Dr Ric, I'm surprised at you! Oh, the cholesterol, the hardened arteries, the heart attack waiting to happen.....not to mention that stuff'll have the same effect on your complexion as Agent Orange had on the Vietnamese rain forests....

A balanced diet for me....a bacon buttie in each hand, that is......possibly with some cheese, a little raw onion, and some tomato and lettuce.....

Darn, now you've got me wanting a midnight snack.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 01/10/2007 9:24 pm
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

The closest to vegetarian my diet ever gets is when I embark on an "all barley" weekend.

Don't tell them about all the dead yeast I'm having, though. :wink:

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

Posted : 01/10/2007 9:33 pm
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Well then I won't share my recipe for Tofu Stuffed Pasta Shells. Or the Herb-Crusted Fried Tofu with Mushroom Gravy, or Layered Taco Casserole with Soy Burger, or Chocolate Tofu Pudding....

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

Posted : 01/10/2007 10:26 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I don't think I even want to know what tofu is, but I'm guessing it's either disgustingly healthy - or just disgusting.

All jokes aside, I've never really thought much about vegetarianism....comes of being brought up in a family whose idea of vegetables was tomato ketchup. Roast beef for Sunday, fried breakfasts, I honestly can't think of a meal we had without meat...and yet none of us was ever even slightly overweight. When you throw beer whisky and cigarettes into the mix it's a wonder I don't weigh 450 lbs and even more of a wonder I made it past 30 !!!!

Remember, every day is vegetarian day if you're a vegetarian....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 01/10/2007 10:56 pm
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

I am a member of PETA. People Eating Tasty Animals. :lol:
Didn't know it was vegitarian day but I had a guacamole bacon burger for dinner anyway. Yum.

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

Posted : 02/10/2007 2:45 am
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Remember, every day is vegetarian day if you're a vegetarian....

And I will point out that not only is today National Vegetarian Day, but just the first day of World Vegetarian Month. :P

I'm not vegetarian, but my daughter is, so I eat that way often. Tofu is soy curd and has very little taste really. It takes on the flavors of what you put it with, or just rides along like little chunks of mild white cheese.

Not to turn this into another Plenty to Lose thread, but I strongly believe the overabundance of carbs (especially refined and highly processed carbs) in the typical American diet is a major contributor to our obesity epidemic. So I purposely include more lean meat in my diet than I used to, along with more veggies.

GO VEGGIES!!! 8)

Margaret

Posted : 02/10/2007 2:51 am
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Well then I won't share my recipe for Tofu Stuffed Pasta Shells. Or the Herb-Crusted Fried Tofu with Mushroom Gravy, or Layered Taco Casserole with Soy Burger, or Chocolate Tofu Pudding....

Margaret
Sounds good to me, I'm really trying to be good :D You can send me the recipe 8)

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 02/10/2007 3:23 am
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Don't worry folks, here is a full complete 100 percent veggie among us. :D

Posted : 02/10/2007 12:25 pm
(@margaret)
Noble Member

OK, Smokindog, here is one of my favorite recipes. You could add soy burger crumbles (Morningstar Grillers Recipe Crumbles, for one) to the red sauce, or even some ground chuck, ground round or Italian sausage, if you must. I'm sure Vic wants to try it, too, so I'll post it here:

Tofu Stuffed Pasta Shells
12 oz pkg jumbo pasta shells (cooked and drained)
large jar spaghetti or marinara sauce (I like Paul Newman's Own Sockarooni sauce)
10-15 oz firm or extra firm tofu, drained
1/2 small onion, diced (or use dehydrated onion flakes, maybe a Tbsp or two)
1-2 cups torn fresh spinach, or 5 oz frozen spinach, thawed, squeezed and drained well
1 Tbsp crushed garlic (I use the stuff in the jar)
2 Tbsp olive oil
basil, oregano, salt, pepper (however much you like)
shredded cheese (I use a Cheddar/Monterey Jack blend, reduced fat variety)

Preheat oven to 375-400 degrees. Cook and drain pasta shells and rinse in cold water. Spread thin layer of spaghetti sauce in bottom of 13 X 9 pan.

In mixing bowl, mash tofu with a fork. Blend in onion, spinach, garlic, olive oil, basil, oregano, salt and pepper until well mixed. Fill shells with mixture, arranging them open side up in the 13 X 9 pan.

Drizzle remaining sauce over shells. Cover pan tightly with foil. Bake 20 minutes. Remove foil, sprinkle with shredded cheese and bake 5 more minutes uncovered.

Makes a large pan, so invite friends over or enjoy leftovers later.

Margaret

Posted : 02/10/2007 12:45 pm
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

I am a member of PETA. People Eating Tasty Animals. :lol:
Didn't know it was vegitarian day but I had a guacamole bacon burger for dinner anyway. Yum.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Where do i sign up?

#4491....

Posted : 02/10/2007 1:35 pm
Page 1 / 4