Clear all

National Vegetarian Day...

49 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

PICTURES!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

You asked for it! This is me around 1974 with my baby sister. ( she is married to another GN member and has 5 kids). she still is my baby sister :D I was actually a vegetarian around 1978.

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 03/10/2007 12:38 am
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Great pic! :D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 03/10/2007 12:56 am
(@bluezoldy)
Reputable Member

Great pic! :D

Now this could start a whole new thread: "Me when I was ...." or "My first gig pictures" or ... :wink:

♪♫ Ron ♪♫

http://www.myspace.com/bluemountainsblues

Posted : 03/10/2007 1:25 am
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Not to turn this into another Plenty to Lose thread, but I strongly believe the overabundance of carbs (especially refined and highly processed carbs) in the typical American diet is a major contributor to our obesity epidemic. So I purposely include more lean meat in my diet than I used to, along with more veggies.

GO VEGGIES!!! 8)

Margaret

+1

We didn't remove meat from our diet, but we greatly reduced the quantity and increased the quality. We also eat vegetarian some of the time, and fish at least a couple of times a week too. We like the variety and the health aspects, but most of all how good it all tastes.....yum! 8)

I bet Rahul has some recipes that we'd enjoy in this household. Nothing like a really good vegie curry.....mmmmmm.... :)

Cheers,

Chris

Posted : 03/10/2007 6:40 am
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Why do you guys feel it's necessary to attack veggies with your sarcasm and attempts at humour?

Because it's fun. Just like it's amazing entertaining to make fun of women, muslims, smurfs, Suzuki-drivers, kazoo-players, light-beer-dinkers, atheists, communists, football-players, butchers, dictators, clowns and Dutch people.

But veggies are still the most fun. They are as quick to irritate as hardcore Dutch protestants, are as violent as 70-style pacifists, and best of all, they are by far in the minority. No easier target I can think of (except Michael Jackson maybe).
:P

Posted : 03/10/2007 10:05 am
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

i find it interesting that you go to BBQs tho.
don't you think your asking to be ridiculed or at least poked fun at?

Why would you think that? In Australia, at least, BBQs are social gatherings of families & friends.

Because here in Kansas city Mo. the home of the American Royal BBQ competition (the most prestigious in the world)
BBQ means "MEAT" always has, always will.

you can write all the cookbooks you want and call them anything you like, but here, where BBQ was invented it will always and only be about cooking meat by slow smoking it (not grilling). This is the problem with language sometimes, terms get screwed up and in different places start to mean different things . What you may call a "BBQ" we would call a "cookout" or a "yard party" and meat or anything cooked on an open flame or charcoal is called "grilling"

That being said i agree that moderation is the key to good health and as far as diet goes you cant get any better than a nice slow smoked slab of pork ribs for your occasional helping of protein.
http://www.americanroyal.com/Default.aspx?tabid=65
"The American Royal Barbecue is the opening event of the American Royal and the season finale for the competitive circuit. Spreading over 20 acres in Kansas City's historic Stockyards District, and with nearly 500 teams competing in four culinary contests, The Royal is the largest barbecue contest in the world. Combine this with a barbecue-related trade expo, this two-day food festival is truly the “World Series of Barbecue.”

#4491....

Posted : 03/10/2007 10:21 am
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Sorry, but the barbecue has its origins in the West Indies in the 17th century, from their word barbacoa, which, then, meant to slowly dry meat over coals.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 03/10/2007 11:09 am
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Sorry, but the barbecue has its origins in the West Indies in the 17th century, from their word barbacoa, which, then, meant to slowly dry meat over coals.

if your source of info on this is from Wikipedia, then i will disagree.

There is more than one source of the etymology of the terms Barbecue, Bar-be que, BBQ, etc.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Barbecue#Etymology_2

i stand corrected as i mispoke as to the "invention" of the method.

interesting tho. as i entered "Barbacoa" "definition"in a google search, and not one reference to the West Indies came up on the first page.
the term seems to be a well known method of Mexican cooking.
http://mexicanfood.about.com/od/mexicanfoodglossary/g/Barbacoa.htm

regardless, my response was to the question posed by Dalron
"Why would you think that? In Australia, at least, BBQs are social gatherings of families & friends."

my question was not meant to "demean" or "attack" but was an honest inquiry as to why a vegetarian would go to a "BBQ".
the topic/flow of the thread is usually set by the original poster.

I was only following the flow and apparent attitude that Ricochet expressed when he stated that he celebrated by
"having a Whopper"
again i did not mean to offend anyone, just having a bit of fun with this.
Here we take BBQ or however you want to spell it very seriously, it's a way of life for many people and some spend their retirement traveling the country to compete in BBQ contests.

#4491....

Posted : 03/10/2007 11:45 am
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Yeah, I'm certainly no vegetarian and was poking fun at it, but I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

I think you'd have an awfully hard time making a claim to the invention of barbeque. It goes way back, and I don't think anyone really knows.

The origin of the word I read many years ago is from the French phrase "barb a queue," or "whiskers to tail," for putting a whole animal on a spit and slowly roasting it over an open pit fire.

Recipe wise, there are many regional variations that are so different it's hard to see they have anything in common other than containing roasted meat. I have a hard time calling that stuff with dry orange powder on it down in Memphis "barbeque," but it's pretty good cooked meat.
:P

Posted : 03/10/2007 1:23 pm
(@maliciant)
Reputable Member

Might have been my comment about the vegan philosophy that was deamed an attack, I can't help it, those people are nuts and are almost certainly unaware of their dependance on animal products that they preach about how they don't use, I stand by my opinion of the lunacy. That said, switching to a diet with loads of fresh raw veggies, fruits and nuts (a lot of nuts aren't edible raw) isn't that bad, I've done it (well, for my work lunches... I ate 'normal' types of food for dinner and eggs for breakfast).

Who can't laugh at the terror of the broccoli... relax, or we'll start flaming veggetarians for real, it'd be called a vegetarian BBQ, we'd serve vegetarian foods, you could say all the meat would be vegetarian too... uh, I'd like to have you over for dinner, (count chocula) wuh ha ha haaaaa.

Posted : 03/10/2007 1:54 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

"Vegetarian recipes" can be read more than one way. :lol:

Posted : 03/10/2007 2:04 pm
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Hey folks,

Some folks take this very seriously. All we need to do is respect others' beliefs and not characterize them

It's a music board -- and this thread could disappear very quickly.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 03/10/2007 5:11 pm
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

Edit: I replied to a post which made an outrageous claim that has already been rebutted further ahead in the thread than I had read at that point. No need to make that rebuttal.

Since I made the post I might as well say something relevant. While not a vegetarian (though I have cut back on the meat intake and tried to improve the quality) I did eat at a vegetarian restaurant last night, Millenium in San Francisco. I've eaten there once before and this restaurant really opened my eyes to what you can do with vegetables only (no meat, no milk, no eggs). The food was very tasty and filling. My wife and I are now thinking about how to incorporate some of the style of those dishes into our regular home menu - perhaps just as part of meal that includes meat.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

Posted : 08/10/2007 10:52 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Actually, I'm sitting here right now eating a can of vegetarian chili. (Hormel.) Odd idea, but it's pretty good. I eat veggie burgers and corn dogs pretty often, and like 'em fine. Fake meat from soy or other beans.

I always loved eating at my Aunt Sallie's house, out on the farm in Alabama. Always had heaping bowls of peas, beans, corn and okra fresh from the garden, biscuits and cornbread. Only meat she ever cooked was a little piece of ham and a piece of sausage in the morning, to make gravy with. The meat sat on the stove till the cat got it in the evening, unless I happened by and got it. But her country style veggie meals were some of the best eating I've ever had! I sure miss 'em!

Posted : 10/10/2007 9:31 pm
(@bluezoldy)
Reputable Member

Okra is something I've heard about for a long time from American films, novels but never seen or tried. It's only just starting to appear in Australian greengrocers shops now. I've got some recipes for it so I might just get some next time I see it.

♪♫ Ron ♪♫

http://www.myspace.com/bluemountainsblues

Posted : 11/10/2007 2:21 am
Page 3 / 4