Skip to content
Near Disaster at TR...

Notifications
Clear all

Near Disaster at TR's (Real disaster for Thunderfingers)

43 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Well, we had a little electrical storm here yesterday morning. I came home from work and thought ... Hey! There is a fence post in my back yard. How did that get there?

There are scraps of fence posts everywhere??????

Check out my 40' tall cedar tree!!!!! THIS TREE IS 15' FROM MY HOUSE!

This tree is 150' from where I found the biggest "fence post" and the house is between the two. I have a laundy list of damage, but for the purposes of this site ..... my son's Fender Rumble now has a serious "Rumble" in it's power amp section. All the rest of the gear in the man cave is fine except for an old stereo that also bit the raddish. I feel terrible! I am lending my son money for a new bass amp. A bolt of lightning hit the tree, vaporized my phone line, spun my satelite dish so it points west, shook my plumbing so I had rust in my water and fried the surge protector for this computer. That died a hero as you can see I am still typing away on it. Yeah, it could have been much worse. Could have hit the house and you would all be participationg in the TRGuitar homeless fund raiser. For some strange reason, all my tube amps are in a pile here on the floor and were unplugged at the time. Anyhow, here is the amp we are getting him.

I know he never posts on here, but through me he knows each and every one of you. Send donations to ..... :lol: No, really, a few kind words of hang in there for him would be appreciated. He does follow the forum through me. And hey! GAS! Check out that GK amp! 8)

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 19/07/2008 1:02 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

wow, that is quite a bit of damage there.
i know it sounds kinda lame but it could have been worse.
glad to hear that was all that got damaged.

#4491....

Posted : 19/07/2008 1:55 pm
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Wow, scary stuff. Glad that you're all OK. Sad about the gear, but the new stuff looks really tasty - so I guess the cloud will have a silver lining. Just so long as there was no voice from the heavens saying "darn! missed him again..."

Good to hear that the surge protector did it's job valiantly, even though it died in the cause. Lightning is powerful enough to blow clean through just about anything, so that was indeed an impressive act to save the computer.

Chris

Posted : 19/07/2008 3:06 pm
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

OUCH!

We had quite the storm here last night but no damage except our
screen house got knocked over.

I should be able to reassemble that today as long as none of the poles got bent.

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

Posted : 19/07/2008 3:07 pm
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

If you haven't already, you should see if your homeowner's insurance will pay for the gear. Seriously.
Don't think of it as lost stuff, think of it as an opportunity to go gear shopping. :)

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

Posted : 19/07/2008 3:55 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

If you haven't already, you should see if your homeowner's insurance will pay for the gear. Seriously.
Don't think of it as lost stuff, think of it as an opportunity to go gear shopping. :)

Yup. +1 to that. Electrical damage due to lightening is normally covered. Deductibles apply, of course. I've used ours for lightening, hurricane and water damage (twice). Last time was a day after we got back from the hospital after the surgery. I lay on the couch and look up. One of those classic moments. Didn't even phase me.

Sorry to hear about your damage. Thunderstorms can get right nasty. I wish I was up there to help with the tree. (which, btw, the removal should also be covered by HOI)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 19/07/2008 4:13 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

TR, I'm just glad to hear you're all OK - amps are replaceable, guitarists who enjoy what they're playing aren't. No guitars or guitarists got fried, that's the important thing.

Hey Thunderfingers, keep on rockin' - if you take after your old man, you won't go far wrong, he's one of the good guys and a popular feller round these parts. I suspect you do, 'cause there's always a bit of parental pride there in TR senior's posts when he talks about you.

And you know guys, if the ol' homestead had been wiped out, I'm sure you'd have had a few hundred volunteers from GN to put a benefit together.....

Just don't, don't, DON'T play "Born To Be Wild" when you get everything sorted out - I know you like the loud stuff, but "I like streaky lightning, heavy metal thunder" might just be construed by said deity as taking the you-know-what.......you don't want to push it, do you!

All the best, and once again, glad everyone's OK!!!!

:D :D :D

Vic

Once again, glad you're all OK -

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 19/07/2008 7:26 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thanks for the kind responses everyone. :D As far as home owners insurance goes though ...... $300 deductable and that is what the Fender Rumble is worth. If I claim it I'm afraid they will up my premium. We asked them about the tree removal. They said they wont pay to have it cut down so wait to see if it falls on the house and that would be covered. :lol: I think it will hold though as most of the wood is missing from a thick portion of the tree. My son was saving for a new amp anyhow and we can turn the Rumble into a heck of an extension cab, so we are looking at the bright side. From now on, all gear is unplugged when not in use. New rule for the man cave. Thanks again!

P.S. Oh the irony Vic! I just realized the last song that we played when the amp was fully functional the night before the occurance. Yep ......... Born to Be Wild :lol:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 20/07/2008 11:26 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

They said they wont pay to have it cut down so wait to see if it falls on the house and that would be covered.

Insurance companies, eh - what a waste of oxygen! Seems (here in the UK, anyway) there's an advert for a different insurance company every 10 minutes or so on the TV.....they probably spend so much on advertising they've nothing left for pay-outs. I'm only surprised they didn't tell you, "Wait and see if the tree falls on anyone's head - you'll get a much bigger pay-out if there's a death involved."

Insurance companies? Put 'em in the same filing cabinet as chocolate teapots (coffee pots, if you're American....) and plastic fireguards.

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 20/07/2008 3:30 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

P.S. Oh the irony Vic! I just realized the last song that we played when the amp was fully functional the night before the occurance. Yep ......... Born to Be Wild

Hmmmm - better lay off the Black Sabbath songs, then. If "Born To Be Wild" caused a lightning strike, just imagine - no, on second thoughts, DON'T! - what'll happen if you play "Heaven And Hell" or "War Pigs".........

Vic

Posted : 20/07/2008 3:37 pm
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

.... and Smokestack Lightning would be off the play list for a while...

Plus anything by Lightnin' Hopkins of course... :wink:

Posted : 20/07/2008 9:24 pm
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

"Riding the Storm Out"?

Posted : 20/07/2008 9:45 pm
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member

Glad to hear you guys are OK

Paul

Check out my Reverbnation page here

Posted : 20/07/2008 10:27 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Huh. I always heard "I like smoke 'n' lightnin', Heavy metal thunder."

We've been zapped here several times, which I wasn't surprised by after counting 4 trees with a stripe down the side from lightning blowing off a strip of bark before we cleared the lot to build my house. Crazy insurance company said my rates would go up if I put lightning rods on my house! They paid for the blown out heat pump compressor and a few other things over the years.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 21/07/2008 3:58 am
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Crazy insurance company said my rates would go up if I put lightning rods on my house!

Maybe they'd reduce your premium if you snuck out one night and put lightning rods on your neighbour's house, especially if they use a different insurer..... :wink:

Posted : 21/07/2008 4:00 am
Page 1 / 3