Clear all

New band!

14 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member
Topic starter

I'm still playing in my originals band, but I've always wanted to play in a classic rock cover band. I was going to Craigslist last week to post an ad looking for a drummer for my punk band and I saw an ad looking for a bass player about 15 minutes from my house. Looked at the band list and just had to answer it. Talked to the guy on Thursday and he wanted me to come out Friday night. I didn't know any of the songs yet, but spent Thursday night and Friday afternoon learning a couple of them. Audition went great and they invited me back. I learned a couple more this weekend and we sounded even better last night. They have about 12 songs down, so I have a lot of ground to cover, plus they are going to keep adding songs. The goal is to get 3 or 4 sets down and start looking for gigs.

Bass player for Undercover

Posted : 14/10/2009 6:28 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

there you go if you were in CT you'd be the perfect fit for our band. what kind of songs are they playing?

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 14/10/2009 6:39 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Congratulations! I find that it's always good to play with new people. Opens up your horizons, so to speak. Once again, congratulations!!

:D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 14/10/2009 6:44 pm
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member
Topic starter

there you go if you were in CT you'd be the perfect fit for our band. what kind of songs are they playing?

Mostly 70's classic rock stuff: Skynyrd, Allman Bros, Peter Frampton, Thin Lizzy w/ a couple of country tunes thrown in.

Posted : 14/10/2009 8:40 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I ask because I'm always looking for new songs or songs I just don't remember to play with the band. One that I heard the other day was the Cars "Just what I needed". I hadn't heard that in years and I remember playing that album all the time. So I think we are going to add it to the list.

We play one Skynard song and one Thin Lizzy, no Frampton or Allman brothers right now. I had learned In Memory of Elizabeth Reed cuz one of the guys wanted to play it but we didn't stay with it and I never thought that would really fit in if we played out considering the other stuff we are playing.

Good luck with the new band.

Posted : 14/10/2009 11:54 pm
(@banre)
Reputable Member

Awesome, grats on the new gig.

"Just What I Needed" is the song that I sing lead on with my band. I backup on everything else.

We play several "different" early 80's songs. "Break Up Song" by the Greg Kihn Band. "Shakin'" by Eddie Money. "Midnight Rendezvous" by The Babys. And of course, the obligatory Skynyrd, Clapton, and Hendrix.

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

Posted : 19/10/2009 2:07 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Congrats on finding another group to play with. If I read all that right, you've got you originals band, a Punk band and now a Cassic Rock cover band? That sounds like you'd be seriously busy.
I ask because I'm always looking for new songs or songs I just don't remember to play with the band. One that I heard the other day was the Cars "Just what I needed". I hadn't heard that in years and I remember playing that album all the time. So I think we are going to add it to the list.

What a great 1st album that was. I remember it well. I don't play any Cars' songs. Might have to change that.
I had learned In Memory of Elizabeth Reed cuz one of the guys wanted to play it but we didn't stay with it and I never thought that would really fit in if we played out considering the other stuff we are playing.

I can see where 'Elizibeth Reed would not fit into your set list. Then again, not too many set lists that it would fit.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 20/10/2009 10:24 am
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Yea Roy I liked the album alot when it came out and I played it all the time. Hadn't heard any Cars in years or if I did I didn't pay attention. I mentioned it to the other guitar player and he likes them too so we are adding three Cars songs to the mix.

Just what I needed, Bye, Bye Love and Let the Good Times roll.

I wish we could find a singer to get out there and play but I'm still having fun doing what we are doing. I'd like to play more than once a week with the band but the wife can't really take the noise more than once a week and I really can't blame her we play pretty loud.

Thank God the neighbors are pretty cool and no one has called the police yet but they can hear us several houses down the street when we play.

Posted : 20/10/2009 11:37 am
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Congrats on finding another group to play with. If I read all that right, you've got you originals band, a Punk band and now a Cassic Rock cover band? That sounds like you'd be seriously busy.

Ha, I guess I wasn't clear on that. Just two bands, punk originals and classic rock covers. It's still kicking my butt though. I had practice for punk band last night, practice tonight and tomorrow night for covers and a punk show Friday night.

Posted : 20/10/2009 5:47 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Ha, I guess I wasn't clear on that. Just two bands, punk originals and classic rock covers. It's still kicking my butt though. I had practice for punk band last night, practice tonight and tomorrow night for covers and a punk show Friday night.

Oh yeah. Duh! Dunce-hat time. :oops:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 20/10/2009 5:56 pm
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Well, I just sent cover band's leader an email letting him know that I was going to have to drop out. They are a good bunch of guys and he in particular is a phenomenal guitar player. He learns the leads note for note and even nails the tone of the originals. They are looking to make a living doing this and I'm just not on the same page. I started out 14 songs behind and the guitarist spends all day learning new stuff. There's no way I'd be able to keep up with my job and kids. I didn't want to hold them back.

Hopefully I can find some people that want to play this genre, but keep it relaxed and fun.

Posted : 21/10/2009 3:43 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Oh man that sux now where am I going to get my ideas from. But you gotta do what you gotta do.

Well at least you helped Roy out :lol:

Posted : 21/10/2009 5:36 pm
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member
Topic starter

I work w/ a guy that plays guitar and we've jammed together a couple of times. We've finally decided to get off our butts and find some other players. Saw an ad from a guitarist on craigslist and I talked to him last night. Seems like a really cool guy and he has found a drummer. We're going to get together and see what happens. He listed a little more rockin' stuff like Kiss, Boston, ZZ Top etc. Could be interesting.

Posted : 22/10/2009 9:01 pm
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

Sounds like New Band 2.0 is in the works, congrats jw, I hope it goes well!

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

Posted : 24/10/2009 3:49 pm