Clear all

New GN Layout

123 Posts
52 Users
0 Likes
15.3 K Views
(@lee-n)
Estimable Member

I think it will grow on me. Gonna take a few days though! :)

Posted : 11/09/2007 12:23 am
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

The first thing I did was search for a way to change the, um, skin as it's called. It's pretty, I guess, but these old eyes can't take these low contrast, soft color designs. :cry:

+1

I'm also finding it very hard on the eyes, and I can only read for a short while before I need to switch somewhere else.

I had a similar trouble with the previous skin, so I've been using a setting from about two years ago, that was a lot plainer and clearer. I expect we'll all be fiddling around for a few days trying to customise it to our own preferences, one way or another though. :)

Cheers,

Chris

Posted : 11/09/2007 1:04 am
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

I just noticed that there are a couple of CSS stylesheets associated with the forum now.
In Firefox (probably other browsers too) click on "view...page style" and there should be 3 styles listed, called "A", "A+", and "A++".
"A" is the default. Choosing one of the others makes the text bigger (presumably for improved readability).

The one thing I am still missing, and trying hard to locate is the "next topic" link that used to be at the top of every thread page.
If anyone finds it, lemme know, would ya.
Thanks.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

Posted : 11/09/2007 1:41 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Also factor in that this is only good for 1028x728 resolution. 800x600 you have to scroll over to see the avatar.

Then you'd have to scroll over to read every post! :shock: No thanks. The avatars on the right are just fine IMO.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 11/09/2007 3:09 am
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

I have a 22" WS monitor, & it looks horrible now; everything is "squashed" into the middle of the page! I'm not one for change... :(

Posted : 11/09/2007 12:38 pm
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

I don't mind the new layout, I'm not exactly a big fan, but its not bad at all, just different. I mean its not as bad as when the server broke down years ago, now that was chaos.

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

Posted : 11/09/2007 1:03 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

There's one feature I really DON'T like - in the ESD, if a song's got quite a few lines of code, you have to scroll up or down INSIDE the code tags - it only shows a few lines. I think someone else has mentioned this already....whoever it was, I agree, it's a royal pain!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 11/09/2007 1:44 pm
(@paulhackett)
Prominent Member Admin

When you're reading ESD entries you can choose the "Print view". Click on the printer icon in the upper right corner. Isn't that layout much better for printing and viewing tabs?

The code box also works good for copying and pasting tabs to another program for printing.

Guitar Noises Newsletter

Posted : 11/09/2007 2:20 pm
(@telematthew)

The new look had me confused for a minute--I thought GN must have switched to vBulletin. This is one of the nicest looks I have seen for phpBB. Congratulations! (fyi, I'm an admin on ubuntuforums.org, so I know a little bit about the behind the scenes stuff)

Kudos to whoever designed it...the name and avatar on the right might take some getting used to, though. :)

Posted : 11/09/2007 2:25 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

When you're reading ESD entries you can choose the "Print view". Click on the printer icon in the upper right corner. Isn't that layout much better for printing and viewing tabs?

Ah, right. Funny though - the one I checked originally is now perfectly viewable, even though it's all in code - and I didnt click on any icons.

Who said "It'll take a bit of getting used to?"

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 11/09/2007 3:17 pm
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

The first thing I did was search for a way to change the, um, skin as it's called. It's pretty, I guess, but these old eyes can't take these low contrast, soft color designs. :cry:

Did you find a way to do that? I have a problem with this design too -- I can't figure out where things start and end due to the lack of contrast.

I need CLEAR visual clues . . . I'm old and half blind!

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

Posted : 11/09/2007 3:34 pm
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

A couple of things I really like (since I've complained enough)

-The "view your posts" link at the top of pretty much every page. - makes it really easy to find replies quickly
- the little star in the thread icons, to let me know what threads I've commented in.
The separate icon (in the thread view) showing that there are unread comments (in addition to the subtle colour change of the main icon which my eyes can barely discern)

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

Posted : 11/09/2007 3:58 pm
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

Wow! I like the new look and I can't think of any sites that have the avatar on the right. This is maybe the 3rd or 4th skin change GN has had since I joined.

:D

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

Posted : 11/09/2007 7:26 pm
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

The "search this forum" and "search this thread" additions are great.
8)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

Posted : 11/09/2007 7:41 pm
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

I like it! Different, but it's nice to change things up a bit once in awhile!

Nice job!!

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

Posted : 11/09/2007 8:14 pm
Page 2 / 9