Skip to content

Forum

Notifications
Clear all

New GN Layout

Page 4 / 9

(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

yep i agree , turning off avatars and signatures cleaned everything up.
i like it much better now.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I've persevered, and I'm used to it now - like I said earlier, give it a week and you won't remember the old skin. One thing I did have trouble with was getting a new PM - my inbox was full, and I had to delete some messages before I could access the new one whereas previously the inbox seemed to automatically delete old messages to make way for the new.

Sorted it out now, but it strikes me this used to be a useful feature.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I've turned off avatars and signatures in my user control panel; this really de-clutters the pages.

And the username is already on the left side of every post; I don't see why this is an issue.

8)

Turn off avatars ????

I absolutely can't live without Catbert !

ReplyQuote
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

Oo I been gone awhile and now everything's changed.
I also just typed out my message only to hit save instead of submit and I have no idea where it got saved to. Don't like that at all. Why move all the buttons to different sides? It's confusing. Especially since most other forums I visit are laid out the old way. I'm not liking the avatars on the right either. Not really a major problem but again it's confusing when you are used to everyone else being the old way. Everytime I come here now I am going to have to think about whatever I do before I do it where before it was just automatic to make a post. Sorry to complain, it looks nice other than that.

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

ReplyQuote
(@paulhackett)
Member Admin

The avatars on the right and the new button positions are the way the phpBB programmers have laid everything out. While it's possible to customize these things, every customization means having to re-customize the forums every time there is a software upgrade. Lots of sites will be moving from version 2 to version 3 like we just did, so you will start seeing more forums like this.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I turned off the signatures the first day and it is a great help. As I said some funny signatures are lost but the readability is increased. Now, each new post generates a caption. That caption makes easier to know where the post starts. The old systems didn't generate that caption and the posts are more difficult to read.

Avatars are hints for quick reading. The author's name is under the caption but the font is smlla and moreover an image is easier and quicker. I'd like to know why did the programmers change the position. It is not a good change from the user interfaces discipline point of view.

I agree with Paul, we could made changes but they can be lost in the next update. It would be better if the changes are made in the configuration or by phpBB people directly.

Paul, I can help. If you need something, let me now.

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

I also just typed out my message only to hit save instead of submit and I have no idea where it got saved to.
Go into the "user control panel" and click on "manage drafts".

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

This is my first time posting since the old layout.

I like it all and am excited about the new format.

Leave it.

Rebuttals welcome.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Oo I been gone awhile and now everything's changed.
I also just typed out my message only to hit save instead of submit and I have no idea where it got saved to. Don't like that at all. Why move all the buttons to different sides? It's confusing. Especially since most other forums I visit are laid out the old way. I'm not liking the avatars on the right either. Not really a major problem but again it's confusing when you are used to everyone else being the old way. Everytime I come here now I am going to have to think about whatever I do before I do it where before it was just automatic to make a post. Sorry to complain, it looks nice other than that.

LOL, I know what you mean about save. I just accidently did that with my first new post.

I figured out though, if you use your browsers "back" button, it was undoable as it asked if I wanted to save and I just hit the back button on my browser and avoided the save function.

Thanks for pointing that out before I pulled the same stunt. :D

LOL, I just about did it again.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

This is my first time posting since the old layout.

I like it all and am excited about the new format.

Leave it.

Rebuttals welcome.

+1

Right on!

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Bish,

Here's my rebuttal...who listens to drummers?

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Bish,

Hey man, I do! They're the only ones in the band who get to sit on the throne!

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Bish,

Ever listened to (deep breeeeeeath) The Beatles, Stones, Who, Yardbirds, Cream, Led Zep,CCR, Kinks, Animals, Beach Boys, Byrds, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Jethro Tull, ELP, ELO, Yes, Rush, Boston, Kansas, Hendrix, Mott The Hoople, Nazareth, Chuck Berry, Traveling Wilburys, Santana, Eagles, Foreigner, Foghat, Free, Genesis, Clash, Faces, James Gang, Mountain, AC/DC, Slade, T.Rex, Motorhead, Thin Lizzy, Status Quo, ZZ Top, Small Faces, Faces, Kiss, Bowie, Dylan, Doobie Brothers, Little Feat, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Tool, Queen, Roxy Music, Argent, Blind Faith, Elton John, Billy Joel, Grand Funk Railroad, Brownsville Station, Jefferson Airplane, Grateful Dead, Pink Floyd, Oasis, Meat Loaf, Fleetwood Mac, Asia, Mountain, King Crimson or any of a million others?

Thought so - YOU'VE been listening to drummers!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

I turned off the signatures the first day and it is a great help. As I said some funny signatures are lost but the readability is increased. Now, each new post generates a caption. That caption makes easier to know where the post starts.

Nuno, how do you turn off signatures?

I went and tried to updated the time zone to Central Standard time and that option was not available. Anyone know why that's not available? I had to put I live in the Atlantic (U.S. east coast) time zone.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Nuno, how do you turn off signatures?
It is an option in user control panel. To access to it use the link at the top of the page (I didn't know how to go to the preferences the first day).

Then, select the 'Board preferences' tab and, there, 'Edit display options' on the left menu. The fourth option is 'Display signatures'. Press the 'Submit' button.
I went and tried to updated the time zone to Central Standard time and that option was not available. Anyone know why that's not available? I had to put I live in the Atlantic (U.S. east coast) time zone.
Is Central Standard UTC-6? It is available to me.

It is in 'Board preferences' | 'Edit global settings' | 'My timezone'.

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 9