Clear all

New GN Layout

123 Posts
52 Users
0 Likes
15.3 K Views
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Thanks, just made those adjustments. :D The slider in time zone started at Atlantic. I scrolled up and found Central. :roll: I will attest that taking off the signatures really makes reading the messages much easier.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

Posted : 13/09/2007 11:33 pm
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

I liked the old way better, but I suppose that I'll get used to it in a little while. I haven't really explored the new layout yet to see if there are any improved features.

Posted : 14/09/2007 12:17 am
(@bluezoldy)
Reputable Member

I wonder why the phpBB people decided to go with the right-hand column for member info? It really does against standard practice everywhere: MySpace, YouTube and so on.

(To GN's admin: As a former admin of forums, blogs and various websites, I know what's involved and you have my sympathy. )

♪♫ Ron ♪♫

http://www.myspace.com/bluemountainsblues

Posted : 14/09/2007 1:11 am
(@sgincyqx)
Honorable Member

This drives me nuts...I'll get used to it.

Ewan McGregor: I said, "Eve, I want you to look after my wedding ring while I'm away," and she started to cry and I said, "Eve. Eve, I can't wear my ring or I won't get laid on the trip!"

Posted : 14/09/2007 1:25 am
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi again,

As expected, I'm getting used to it all. :)

We have a family saying that we use when we have to cope with any sort of change. By long established tradition we put on our best rustic accents and intone "Aaaarghhh ... it's all wrong...it's against nature.... no good, no bloody good at all.." with repeats... :twisted:

And quite clearly, this new layout was deeply "Against nature..." for a few days anyway. Although I don't think I'm ever going to grow to love that stupid flashing advert with the red heart in the middle. :( I'd pay good money for a gun that would shoot that off the top of the screen.... in the meantime I'm developing some good speed with the scroll button finger. 8)

It also did provide one piece of excitement last night too. I had just about finished a long post (or was it a PM?) with a link embedded in it. Wishing to test that I'd got the link right I pressed Preview and clicked on the link - which duly took me straight to the linked page - in the same window (didn't open a separate page.. :( ) Then when I pressed the back arrow in the browser I got a message saying the page had expired! :shock: :shock:

AAAAARGHHHHH - all my typing lost in cyberspace.... I gave my usual calm,mature, measured response... which is to say I let out a stream of screaming oaths that rattled the foundations of the house and destroyed what was left of my singing voice... :evil:

After going downstairs, in an unsuccessful search for something small and defenceless to kick, I returned and - mercifully - instead of closing the browser in disgust I hit the refresh icon (or f5) instead. Praise be!!! It all came back again....

Phew.....

Maybe the voice will come back later too...

Cheers,

Chris

Posted : 14/09/2007 1:41 am
(@bluezoldy)
Reputable Member

Maybe the voice will come back later too...

Chris

You're hearing voices, Chris? :P

♪♫ Ron ♪♫

http://www.myspace.com/bluemountainsblues

Posted : 14/09/2007 1:46 am
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Bish,

Here's my rebuttal...who listens to drummers?

Ever listened to (deep breeeeeeath) The Beatles, Stones, Who, Yardbirds, Cream, Led Zep,CCR, Kinks, Animals, Beach Boys, Byrds, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Jethro Tull, ELP, ELO, Yes, Rush, Boston, Kansas, Hendrix, Mott The Hoople, Nazareth, Chuck Berry, Traveling Wilburys, Santana, Eagles, Foreigner, Foghat, Free, Genesis, Clash, Faces, James Gang, Mountain, AC/DC, Slade, T.Rex, Motorhead, Thin Lizzy, Status Quo, ZZ Top, Small Faces, Faces, Kiss, Bowie, Dylan, Doobie Brothers, Little Feat, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Tool, Queen, Roxy Music, Argent, Blind Faith, Elton John, Billy Joel, Grand Funk Railroad, Brownsville Station, Jefferson Airplane, Grateful Dead, Pink Floyd, Oasis, Meat Loaf, Fleetwood Mac, Asia, Mountain, King Crimson or any of a million others?

Thought so - YOU'VE been listening to drummers!

:D :D :D

Vic
Cnev.....why I oughta......

Vic, they all had drummers?

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 14/09/2007 12:02 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Vic, they all had drummers?

Well - there was Ringo, there was Bonzo, there was Moonie, there was Charlie.....maybe a change of name'd work wonders? Bisho? Bishie?

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 14/09/2007 1:22 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

BTW, great list Vic! :wink:

I don't know three or four bands but the others seem the list of my CD's!

Posted : 14/09/2007 1:28 pm
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

The avatars on the right and the new button positions are the way the phpBB programmers have laid everything out. While it's possible to customize these things, every customization means having to re-customize the forums every time there is a software upgrade. Lots of sites will be moving from version 2 to version 3 like we just did, so you will start seeing more forums like this.
I guess that's where I am confused. The other fourms in question have already made the switch over to phpbb3 and they are nothing like this. They have already made at least one update as well and didnt have to re customize anything although there are some things we are waiting on for the final version so we don't have to do that.
No worries, though. It looks nice and I will get used to the changes. :D

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

Posted : 14/09/2007 8:05 pm
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Think of GN as a trendsetter -- ahead of the curve! :wink:

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 14/09/2007 8:08 pm
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

There was spam today ... no, not that guy I harrassed ... the "free garbage" type of spam that has been popping up for months.

I hope Paul can get his money back.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

Posted : 14/09/2007 8:16 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Is there any way to get it to automatically re-size to fit 800x600 resolution?

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 14/09/2007 10:31 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Also, can it be set to open links in a new window?

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 14/09/2007 11:26 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Also, can it be set to open links in a new window?

Dan

I open a new window first - it comes up exactly the same. THEN I click on the link.....

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 15/09/2007 12:16 am
Page 5 / 9