New GN Layout

123 Posts
52 Users
0 Likes
15.3 K Views
(@maliciant)
Reputable Member

Y'all might have noticed that Paul tweaked the contrast between posts a bit :D

I was doing my morning read through and realized hey wait, I'm not thinking about how much this new layout bugs me... then I noticed that the colors had been adjusted, they don't seem that different in terms of still being fairly low contrast but it seems like I'm not the only one who thinks it's made a big improvement in readability of the forums. Of course, if someone posts a youtube link and I click on it without holding the shift key and it sucks me away from guitarnoise I will swear silently in my head about it.

Posted : 17/09/2007 3:10 pm
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Y'all might have noticed that Paul tweaked the contrast between posts a bit :D

I was doing my morning read through and realized hey wait, I'm not thinking about how much this new layout bugs me... then I noticed that the colors had been adjusted, they don't seem that different in terms of still being fairly low contrast but it seems like I'm not the only one who thinks it's made a big improvement in readability of the forums. Of course, if someone posts a youtube link and I click on it without holding the shift key and it sucks me away from guitarnoise I will swear silently in my head about it.

Yeah -- the tweaks are helping. Thanks, Paul ... or Nick or ...

BTW, I'm sitting in Taiwan airport right now. Next time I access with probably be in Shanghai. Getting closer ...

-=tension & release=-

Posted : 17/09/2007 10:53 pm
(@gerry)
Honorable Member

The older you get the harder it gets to accept change. Had me going bananas at the start but I must admit its growing on me.

Gerry

Those who can't dance always blame the band.

http://www.gerrycooper.com/

Posted : 18/09/2007 7:56 am
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

BTW, I'm sitting in Taiwan airport right now. Next time I access with probably be in Shanghai. Getting closer ...

Watch out for that typhoon!

Posted : 18/09/2007 4:20 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Well the more I post the more I like this layout, totally.

Not only are the buttons I use located logically but it took little to no time to acclamate to this place. Very cool!

I also noticed that with the other layout, when I'd connect it'd say the last time I connected was just then and I wouldn't see any new posts. If I was lucky enough to log on and the new posts showed, after viewing any new post and going to anything else, all the balance of the new posts would be gone...

This new layout doesn't give me that issue. Woooohaaaaa! :twisted:

Subnote: I tried to blame it on cookies but that would never remedy the problem.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 18/09/2007 9:28 pm
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Personally, I prefer the "Submit" button on the right. It feels more natural to me. In the old format, I would invariably hit "Preview" when I wanted to "Submit". So, for me at least, it's in the right ( correct :D ) position now! So, now all of you are dealing with what I've been dealing with for years!! :D :twisted: :wink:

+1

I've had no trouble at all with that layout. So maybe I was used to it from another forum - but it immediately felt natural. :)

The extra contrast certainly helps too.

I think it took me a day or two to adjust to the new look and feel, but I'd say I'm "over it" now. :wink: As always, the interesting content is what I come for, and that's still there.

Chris

Posted : 18/09/2007 10:25 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

So this week, I was trawling through the SSG, trying to retrieve my old songs from June 2004 onwards - it was made so much harder because the original poster's name is now under the title of the post, rather than to the side of the post where it used to be. Much harder to read at a glance.My only quibble so far.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 22/09/2007 11:08 pm
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Why trawl when you can search?
:?

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

Posted : 23/09/2007 1:32 am
(@peejay)
Estimable Member

I just did the save-instead-of-submit thing for the first time. :oops:

Also, I'm with the "would prefer an 800x600 version" group.

Posted : 23/09/2007 4:08 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Why trawl when you can search?
:?

That would help if I knew exactly what I was searching for - but I've written over 80 songs for the SSG, and couldn't remember in which order, couldn't remember every title off the top of my head. Also, I had to read through all the comments, quite a few of them have been changed from the original posted lyrics, so I had to check each and every one for re-writes etc.

This time, I've written all the lyrics out in longhand AND written out the link to the original post!

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 23/09/2007 4:05 pm
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

There are some things in life one likes and one does not like ..

The new format is one I just don't like at all

Sorry to those who worked hard on this , but I just don't like it

Trev :cry: :oops:

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

Posted : 24/09/2007 9:16 pm
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

That would help if I knew exactly what I was searching for
Vic

On the forum page index, click on "View your posts" next to your messages, then you will see "Return to advanced search" in the top left under "ads by google". From there you can search for all of your posts in the ESD forum.

Posted : 24/09/2007 9:43 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

That would help if I knew exactly what I was searching for
Vic

On the forum page index, click on "View your posts" next to your messages, then you will see "Return to advanced search" in the top left under "ads by google". From there you can search for all of your posts in the ESD forum.

That's a hell of a lot of posts to search through!

No the point I was making - for those of us who have posted songs in the Sunday Songwriter's Forum, and indeed the other Songwriting forum - is that was a lot easier to find those posts, ie the ones you originated, when your name was in a box somwhere in the middle, rather than tucked under a post title.

Anyways - I've retrieved everything now, AND written all my songs out in longhand, and written in the links to the original posts.

Vic

Posted : 24/09/2007 11:05 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Tip: By clicking on the "Page x of y" link a window is opened. The number of the new page can be entered. This feature is very interesting in multi-page threads as this one. For example, the page 2 can be easily accessed now.

(One more time I miss with my click and discovered a new feature. Sorry if you already knew it.)

Posted : 24/09/2007 11:07 pm
(@blueline)
Noble Member

It took a week or so..but I'm used to the new layout now...not a problem

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Posted : 27/09/2007 4:22 pm
Page 7 / 9