New guitar days!

15 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Yeah, days!

Some of you may know that I'd recently been in a serious funk....even contemplated selling all of my gear, don't know why, just really wasn't feeling it, and didn't care that I wasn't feeling it. Well, of course it's changed and I'm playing again, part of it might be the fact that a couple weeks ago I sold my Ibanez EW Acoustic in order to get my wife something nice for her birthday (to make up for the past 3 years, LOL). I figured I'd just downgrade the acoustic.

I ended up buying and Alvarez RF8 Folk Guitar with included Hardshell case for $85....retails for around $220. I did a little review here. It is a christmas gift for me, so it goes away for a while.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eGY1dSDsSM

Well, the other day, I was looking for a certain sound from my Ibanez Classical that I just couldn't get because it doesn't project, so I ended up trading that in, and getting a Cordoba C-5, and I'm REALLY happy with that, hopefully I'll do a video with it soon! Pics and videos just don't do it justice for how beautiful that guitar is!
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Cordoba-C5-Nylon-String-Guitar?sku=518773

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 17/09/2010 7:38 am
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

So what you thought was a funk was really GAS ... :lol:

I'm actually almost done selling off a lot of my stuff for a similar reason (the funk), but I don't seem to be able to find anything I want to buy to replace it with ... :cry:

Anyway, enjoy your new gear!

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

Posted : 17/09/2010 9:04 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

:lol: :lol:

I wish that were the case! By the point I sold my acoustic I had already sold my electric, and my travel guitar.

I hadn't played for over a month either, and didn't even want to play. But getting the new gear and setting it up and playing around has made me want to play again, and get excited about playing again.

Posted : 17/09/2010 9:14 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Sounds like GAS pains being disguissed as something else. Congrats on your new one, and congrats on the early Christmas prize that you're patiently waiting for.

Sorry to hear you were in a funk. You too, 'sleg. Sometimes breaks are needed if you've been going at something hard. :(

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 17/09/2010 1:00 pm
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

I hadn't played for over a month either, and didn't even want to play.

I didn't touch my guitar for over a dozen years at one point, but when I decided I wanted to make some music, there is was waiting patiently for me in the back of the closet...

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

Posted : 17/09/2010 1:08 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Congrats Joe! :D

It is always very funny to me to read that many international brands use Spanish names. For example, Córdoba is a beautiful city in the south of Spain. When I read the post I guessed it was a Spanish brand. Probably they do it for that reason.

And it is the same with Álvarez. Álvarez is an usual Spanish surname (and Ibañez, with "ñ", too).

Now at work, I'll watch the video later.

On "funk" (sorry, it is a synonym of "discouraged", right?). Last summer I got back again to guitars I felt the same in bass. In my case, I was in that "comfort zone" where you play approximately the same things and they sound good (I remember we commented it in the bass forum). Probably we lose the goal or the aim or motivation. It happens in other activities. The groups help (ie. playing in a band, these sites, etc.).

New gear helps. And the books, too!

Posted : 17/09/2010 1:15 pm
(@apache)
Reputable Member

Happy New Guitars Day :-)

Really pleased to hear you are enjoying playing again, I know I get frustrated with my lack of progress, admittedly getting a new guitar is a rather expensive of way of curing it, but if it works for you :mrgreen:

Posted : 22/09/2010 8:47 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Yeah it would have been expensive if it cost me anything...but it didn't really.

I sold my Ibanez Acoustic and got my wife a B-Day present and got me a Zoom H2....then I traded my Ibanez Classical for the Cordoba C5.

The only thing I paid for out of pocket was the Alvarez Guitar....it was $85. I just saw the same guitar used at Sam Ash for $225. But the Alvarez is a Christmas present, so I really didn't even pay for that!!

Posted : 23/09/2010 3:26 am
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Hey Joe how are you liking the H2 I just bought one myself after hearing somones H4 and then having Gnease recommend the H2 for what I needed it for.

The H4 sound reproduction to me was awesome for such a small device. Perfect for just a quick recording like we want to do.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 23/09/2010 12:41 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Here's a clip of the H2....sounds better than my MXL 990. It's an absolutely wonderful device!!

http://www.box.net/shared/6to9gna330

Posted : 23/09/2010 12:59 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Cant listen at work have to wait to get home but when I heard the H4 files played back through a PA man it sounded fantastic for such a small recorder.

But the H4(N) has more bells and whistles than I need so I decided to save some cash and go for the H2.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 23/09/2010 1:38 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

No worries, it's just an incredible device....I was going to get the new H1, but when I figured that I'd need to spend $25 on the accessories, I thought, well, $25 for 2 more mics isn't that bad.

Posted : 24/09/2010 3:59 am
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Hey, Joe, been there done that. Check out the Swap Meet, LOL.

It comes and goes with us all, surprisingly, huh?

I've just learned to let it go for a few days and something sparks you up again. How about playing out again. Oh wait, that's been done.

Anyway, glad to hear things are going better.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 09/10/2010 12:49 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thanks Bish! Yeah things are really kicking into high gear. I'm working on a piece that I've never been able to play, and well, let's just say I've almost memorized the piece and am playing it really well! :)

Plus I've been listening to alot of smooth jazz and have ordered a HollowBody SXG6 from Rondo music, should be here in teh next week or so

Posted : 09/10/2010 6:44 am
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

HNGD Joe - I hope it gives you years of pleasure.
<...>It is always very funny to me to read that many international brands use Spanish names.<...>

It's because of the Spanish people and their reputation with the history of the development of the guitar. Even the ES in my Gibson ES-330 stands for "Electric Spanish".

Now I understand the current tuning of the guitar is actually Moorish but came to Europe via Spain. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Plus with people like Los Romeros (IMHO especially Celedonio and Pepe), Andrés Segovia, Paco de Lucía, and all the other great Classical an Flamenco guitarists from Spain, If I were of Spanish heritage, I would consider the trend flattery.

BTW, I got to meet and hear Los Romeros a couple of years ago. Nice gentlemen and great guitarists.

I have a Gibson "Electric Spanish" and my wife has an Alvarez and an Ibanez (both nylon string guitars made in Japan).

On a related note, did you ever notice how many Japanese car models have Italian-ish sounding names? (My grandparents were all born in Italy) - Integra, Diamante, Miata, Domani, Rafaga, Anfini, Capella, Familia, Bravo, Strada, Alegria, Largo, Lucino, Primera, and so on.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

Posted : 09/10/2010 11:42 am