193 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
29.4 K Views
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Well we are practicing to night for a party next week at a managed apt complex. It will be us doing about 10 songs or so and a couple of solo acoustic acts before us.

That in itself is no big deal. We have another drummer who is going to do most of the drumming cuz the current drummer is going to be the front man and do all the singing. He's not bad but..he's not a singer either.

But and here's where the news comes in. I turn on the PC this AM and check my email and I have an email from one of the guys that had audiotned a few months back but couldn't commit cuz he didn't want to leave the band he was in etc.

Anyway he asks if we have found a singer and if we were playing out. He also mentioned that he is available and ready to committ...Whoo hooo

This would be a miracle if it actually works out and I am keeping my fingers crossed. We connected pretty well the time he came by and if he really does committ we can be ready to get out there in fairly short time...

So we will see how this goes asked him he could make it tonight on short notice.

Playing some older classic rock for this party:

Sunshine
Badge
White Room
Get Back
Day Tripper
Birthday
Jumpin Jack Flash
Satisfaction
The Pusher
Born to be wild

That's probably only 30 - 40 mins of music so I think we will probably add 5 - 6 more.

I had to learn Get Back and Jumpin Jack Flash this week didn't know them.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 19/08/2011 2:10 pm
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

SOunds like a nice fun mix there.

Paul B

Posted : 19/08/2011 2:19 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Most of the songs we do but Get Back and Jumpin Jack Flash will be fun cuz I've never played them and I get bored playing the same stuff over and over.

Posted : 19/08/2011 2:47 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Alright! A couple of Stones' songs. I can dig it. 8) 8)

Best of luck next week and best luck getting the singer lined up.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 19/08/2011 9:25 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter

I know Stones songs can it get any worse?...Ha

Actually now we have another problem I just get an email from one of the singers that auditioned months ago who is now available and ready to commit and the drummer and bass player find another guy that wasnts to audition so now in between this party on Saturday we are going to try out this new singer if everyones schedule is open.

When it rains it pours.

Posted : 22/08/2011 11:50 am
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Roy - So being one of many Stones fans on here can you give me any hints on what effects I can use to get close to the guitar sounds on those two songs?

Posted : 23/08/2011 2:34 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Roy - So being one of many Stones fans on here can you give me any hints on what effects I can use to get close to the guitar sounds on those two songs?
Can your M-FX processor do dual channel output? No biggie if it can't. Sounds pretty neat and is what keef does from what I understand.

Satisfaction: Fuzz for the main riff and fills. Probably all the lead as well.

JJF: I don't know for sure, but it sounds like varying degrees of fuzz, too, depending on the recording. Depends on the book which tuning to use. I think done in open-E originally, but does in open-G these days. It's very important in some songs to use the open-G voicing. It really makes a difference. It's not just an easy way to play songs, at least from our standpoint.

I've downloaded a few patches for my Boss that are named something to do with the Stones. Most of those use the "60's Fuzz".

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 23/08/2011 3:23 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter

I have to see if I have a fuzz setting on my ME-70 I don't think so I'll have to experiment but probably won't have time before Saturday.

Not sure about JJF we are playing it in std tuning in B. The recording I have is alittle flat but not quite Bb but I'm to lazy to lower each string a bit to much trouble.

Posted : 23/08/2011 4:33 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

There's a Fuzz in the ME-70, but I don't know which one it is compared to the ones on mine. I bet it's just fine, though.

He capo'd the 7th on "Midnight Rambler" in the "Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!" book I have. made it much easier. Only mentioned because it's in B as well. It might (the song book is quite confusing on the key sigs for that song due to relative positioning of capo).

(On an unrelated note. My house just shook for about 10-20 seconds....I could even hear things in the house rattleing back and forth. THAT was strange. It ramped up and ramped down even. Too strange.)

Roy

Posted : 23/08/2011 4:57 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Earthquake in VA

Posted : 23/08/2011 5:16 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Yup. We got some of it, come to find out. What an experience. I hope to never repeat it. I'm shaking in my shoes still....and that's with meds.

Roy

Posted : 23/08/2011 5:23 pm
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Yup - felt it here in Philly too. Apparently, East Coast quakes travel farther than West Coast quakes. Our rocks are harder :twisted:

Posted : 23/08/2011 6:30 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

A long 15-20 seconds, that's for sure. I hope moonrider is fine. He's from near the center.

I just did a walk around the house inside and out and everything appears to be intact. The area's phone lines where clogged up, but have eased and family is all fine. I hope we can escape Hurricane Irene with just as minimal impact.

Roy

Posted : 23/08/2011 6:34 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Update: Our first quasi-gig that was scheduled for two weeks ago and cancelled because of Hurricane Irene is happening this Saturday. Some exciting stuff we finally have a singer that is committed so we may finally start playing out regularly. This will only be like the 3rd time we've played with the singer but we are only doing 10 - 15 songs Saturday. i want us all to sit down sometime Friday after practice and get a set list for our "1st" real gig whenever that happens.

Right now we all keep throwing out songs that we all know and there are plenty but we need to get them on paper so we can actually start arranging what songs we want to play when etc. I'm sure there will be a few I'll need to learn and vice versa for everyone else.

The bass player can't make it Saturday and we have a replacement who knows all the songs and I have a feeling this could lead to a lineup change..kind of like a pro athelete going out with an injury then never making it back to the starting lineup cuz the replacement is doing so well...oh well what's a band without the drama.

Posted : 07/09/2011 2:51 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I hope it all goes well, including the bass player situation.

I've never been in a band, but after seeing so many deal with it, I am pretty confident in saying that I don't want to be in one.

Roy

Posted : 07/09/2011 5:17 pm
Page 1 / 13