Clear all

Nightmare at JamFest

10 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@specialsof)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Well, after a terrific 3 hours of playing at our weekly jamsession, an awful thing happened last nite.

As a lady was standing up, she lost her balance and hit the floor - and in the process landed on my wife's new $1,000 Mandolen (less than a month old). It cracked the back completely through in one long crack, and also a fairly long crack on the front. Although I could repair it, its pretty much worthless as far as value goes. Needless to say my wife was was heartbroken, and the lady that fell as well.

Tomorrow I am gonna see if maybe our homeownerrs insurance might replace this loss. Wish me luck.

If I hadn't seen this, I wouldn't have believed it.

Posted : 21/03/2010 11:26 pm
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

What rotten luck. I can only imagine how bad your wife (and you) feel

Unless you have really good insurance, I wouldn't get my hopes up.
In my experience homeowners policies usually only cover your stuff while it's on the property, unless you made special accommodations for specific items in the policy.

I'd love to be proven wrong in this case, though.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

Posted : 22/03/2010 12:24 am
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

collision insurance? never thought I would need it for an instrument. now I am wondering.
the home owners policy should cover the accident. minus the deductible of course.
bummer.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 22/03/2010 10:31 am
(@specialsof)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I actually have a special policy on my two Taylors and also a Gibson for about $14,000 - and this is not a rider to the homeowners policy. This was cheap (about $40 a year) but each had to be appraised and faxed appraisal to the company. I hadn't had time to add the Mandolin as we just got it, so hoping there is some kind of exception in there that will help with this. I will know in about 3 hours, as I calling then and will post the results here.

Posted : 22/03/2010 10:41 am
(@specialsof)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Ok, my deductable was higher than the price of the Mandolin, and the special policy I have on my other instruments "must" have the item listed before its damaged.

So, just a loss and dis-apointment, but life goes on. I gonna order a new one and just personally fix this cracked one as a backup.

So the lesson here: in the future I must list new pricy items in that special policy.

Posted : 22/03/2010 2:07 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

That's all bad news and such. I do have to question why the lady who broke it isn't helping out? I'm sure the reasons are justified and no requirement to go into them.....

I've never considered such an insurance.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 23/03/2010 1:17 am
(@specialsof)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

The lady who fell is a disabled (not the cause for the fall) and very cash straped.... so I let her off the hook. She offered to try to pay whenever she could, but I told her to just forget about it as we more fortunate than her. I was just glad she didn't break her leg, etc. Her husband died a year ago, so our JamFest has been a tremendous therapy to her and she says the "highlight of her week." She is a wonderful lady, and just devastated it happened.

In a close Jamsession setting that we have, everyone has already become like a family, so its just better not to pursue her having to pay for this.

However, if she had fell over someone else's stuff that might have been another issue (as the guy next to me has a Gibson J45 1952 model, that is probably fairly valuable - I would guess close to at least 10k, and the guy on the other side has a Martin D28 which is probably worth $2,500.

Posted : 23/03/2010 10:46 am
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

My bass player managed to get his double bass repaired on the insurance after rather stupidly cracking the lower end by walking it into a door on his way out of a gig. Some insurance will cover you, so check it out. Hope it goes well. S

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

Posted : 23/03/2010 2:12 pm
(@hobson)
Noble Member

Ouch! Sounds painful for your wife and for the woman who fell.

I have my more expensive instruments covered on a Personal Articles Floater policy. Some other non-music items are on there too and everything has to be specifically listed. The insurance company wanted photographs and serial numbers. They accepted copies of receipts for valuation for items that I had bought new. For used items, they accepted printouts from dealer websites. Maybe they would require an appraisal for really expensive or rare items. This kind of insurance is cheap and covers just about everything just about anywhere. If you play for money, the coverage is void. In that case, you would need to buy a policy for professional musicians.

That's how it is in the U.S. or at least with State Farm.

Renee

Posted : 23/03/2010 10:18 pm
(@specialsof)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Ouch! Sounds painful for your wife and for the woman who fell.

I have my more expensive instruments covered on a Personal Articles Floater policy. Some other non-music items are on there too and everything has to be specifically listed. The insurance company wanted photographs and serial numbers. They accepted copies of receipts for valuation for items that I had bought new. For used items, they accepted printouts from dealer websites. Maybe they would require an appraisal for really expensive or rare items. This kind of insurance is cheap and covers just about everything just about anywhere. If you play for money, the coverage is void. In that case, you would need to buy a policy for professional musicians.

That's how it is in the U.S. or at least with State Farm.

This is the exact policy I have as well, dirt cheap. But.... only been a month since I got the Mandolin and just hadn't had time to add it yet. Anyway, want make that mistake again. I have ordered a new Mandolin and gonna add it the day I get it.

Posted : 25/03/2010 1:06 pm