No More Band...The Sequel

50 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Last night I had my first audition with a band I've been talking to for a few weeks.

I was given 4 CDs with 90% of the songs I'd never played and 60% I'd never heard. This band leans more towards female vocalist and country flavoring. Currently the band is in total upheavel and I'm not the only one going through replacement syndrome. The new guitarist held practice at his house. I was the first one there and I only took a bass drum, hi-hats and a snare. The keyboardist showed up and that was it. The singer was sick in bed so she wasn't going to be there and they are still searching for a replacement bassist.

So this was the first time for all 3 of us together. The keyboardist was amazing. He is leaving his "wedding" band for this new venture. There wasn't anything he couldn't play or change key to as needed. The guitarist is just coming off a stint with a Lynyrd Skynyrd tribute band that I declined joining a year and a half ago in lieu of Hap Hazard. So the rehearsal was "size up the guys and see how we all shake out."

It couldn't have gone better if the whole band was there. We gelled like you need when a band comes together. We all played and fed off each other with ease. We went through a dozen songs in no time and I think we all felt very comfortable with each other. We even attempted one of the guitarists originals. He was surprised to find me accenting some of his verse transitions even while only playing the song one time. (and I kept the tempo, Wes.) What can I say? There was some serious bonding going on. We were only there for about 2 hours but it was enough to agree that these three spots are filled. We left with a handful of songs that we agreed to learn and have ready for next Thursday, as that seems to be the day for practice. If all goes well, I should be gigging in 30 days or less. :D

More as it transpires. Thanks for all the previous support!!! :wink:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 05/01/2007 11:06 pm
(@eirraca)
Estimable Member

How exciting! I hope the singer gets better and you can put some of your stuff on here. :D

Posted : 05/01/2007 11:28 pm
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Congrats! I'm just starting out playing bass in a band, and it's fantastic when it starts to gel :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

Posted : 05/01/2007 11:37 pm
(@frank2121)
Reputable Member

good luck bish hope it all goes well for you sounds cool .

Posted : 05/01/2007 11:39 pm
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Sounds like a fantastic start to a new year and a new venture, Bish! Congratulations! 8)

Keep us posted on how things progress, ok?

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

Posted : 06/01/2007 12:33 am
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member

Congrats Bish!

Our songs also have the standard pop format: Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, bad solo. All in all, I think we sound like The Knack and the Bay City Rollers being molested by Black Flag and Black Sabbath.

Kurt Cobain

Posted : 06/01/2007 12:45 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Excellent! Nice to see you back so quick!!!

Now if we can just get Elton to knock out a quick chorus of "The Bish Is Back"......

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 06/01/2007 12:52 am
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Groan!

(I'm just jealous I didn't think of it :wink:)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

Posted : 06/01/2007 12:55 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Great news! I'm happy for you Bish! :D :D

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 06/01/2007 3:01 am
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Hey thanks everyone.

Now the fun begins cuz I gotsta learn bunches oh new songs.

Cya later. :wink:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 06/01/2007 4:46 am
(@trevor)
Trusted Member

I may be late here but

Thats great news Bish , Like I said in your previous post " When one door closes another will open "

Cheers

Trevor

Aka ( Barnabus Rock / Hilch)

.........double space ..........

I am aso known as Barnabus Rock ...Hilch ....ummmm yeah thats it

Posted : 06/01/2007 5:30 am
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Good deal Bish, glad to hear

#4491....

Posted : 06/01/2007 10:39 am
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member

Hey Bish,

that is excellent news, well done. Let us know how the practice turns out.

Paul

Check out my Reverbnation page here

Posted : 07/01/2007 8:24 pm
(@steves)
Estimable Member

Congrats Bish. Sounds like you're going to have a great time.

Steve

Posted : 08/01/2007 3:09 am
(@rocker)
Noble Member

bish,

dude, what happened to hap hazzard? :shock: , i need details :?

even god loves rock-n-roll

Posted : 08/01/2007 12:27 pm
Page 1 / 4