(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Bah

#4491....

Posted : 01/06/2006 3:23 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I don't place too much faith in polls like this anymore.....The NME recently had another poll, for the top 100 best BRITISH albums and Sgt Pepper didn't even make the top 10 - highest Beatles Album was Revolver (good choice, IMHO!) at 8.....

I'd guess that the NME's core readership would be early-to-late 20's - couldn't see too many of them voting for a 39-year-old LP.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 01/06/2006 3:33 pm
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Bah indeed. If you're asking the average Joe, it'll only ever be "most popular", never "best"...

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

Posted : 01/06/2006 3:52 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I'll bet most of those asked can't remember further than last week, let alone the 60's or 70's :?

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 01/06/2006 4:04 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member
Topic starter

I'll bet most of those asked can't remember further than last week, let alone the 60's or 70's :? :lol:

#4491....

Posted : 01/06/2006 4:38 pm
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

I'll bet most of those asked can't remember further than last week, let alone the 60's or 70's :?

Then how did 'Sgt Pepper's' and 'Revolver' come in at 2nd and 3rd?
I think it's not a bad result considering the core demographic, 'Definitely Maybe' was a massively important album of it's time to the 20 somethings of the early 90s and I'd say it still holds up as a very good rock album, and itself references (steals from?) the Beatles and other 60s-70s greats.

It could have been much worse - Babyshambles, Arctic Monkeys etc
:)

Posted : 01/06/2006 8:02 pm
(@alangreen)

Just goes to show how pig ignorant the NME's readership has become.

Just don't let Musenfreund know.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 01/06/2006 9:39 pm
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

Just don't let Musenfreund know.

please expand on that? I think it is unusually restrained and not too bad compared to the one around Xmas that had the Arctic Monkeys in the top 3. Why don't you name your top 5? And we'll see how many agree with you? I'd bet no two replies will agree 100 %
Full list is here
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/06/01/ualbums.xml&sSheet=/news/2006/06/01/ixnews.html

Top 20 are
The top 20 (List in full)

1. Definitely Maybe, Oasis

2. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band, The Beatles

3. Revolver, The Beatles

4. OK Computer, Radiohead

5. (What's The Story) Morning Glory?, Oasis

6. Nevermind, Nirvana

7. The Stone Roses, The Stone Roses

8. Dark Side Of The Moon, Pink Floyd

9. The Queen Is Dead, Smiths

10. The Bends, Radiohead

11. The Joshua Tree, U2

12. London Calling, The Clash

13. The Beatles (The White Album), The Beatles

14. Abbey Road, The Beatles

15. Up The Bracket, The Libertines

16. Never Mind The Bollocks Here's The Sex Pistols, Sex Pistols

17. Four Symbols (Led Zeppelin IV), Led Zeppelin

18. The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars, David Bowie

19. A Night At The Opera, Queen

20. Is This It, The Strokes

Apart from 15 and 20, I don't see much to argue with for a UK driven poll

Posted : 01/06/2006 9:56 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Or is it that us 40-somethings have developed something called TASTE?

The NME was THE music mag in bthe 70's - took the piss out of Donny Osmond and david cassidy etc somrthing rotten - produced writers like Charles Shaar Murray, Roy Carr, Nick Kent, Chrissie Hynde (Yes that Chrissie Hynde!) Tony Parsons (now a well respected journalist and author - wrote a really moving teibute to Desmond Dekker in his last column....) Bob Geldof etc etc.....

Well i always thought it was value for money......

To go back to the original thread theme though - strange that a band so heavily influenced by the Beatles can actually beat the fab four in a poll - Definitely Maybe is a very good album, definitely my fave album of the 90's - but how does it compare to Beatles albums?

Well for a start Oasis had the advantage of far better studio technology - 90% of today's recording technology came about as a diret result of experimentation between the Beatles and George Martin......

Definitely Maybe is a VERY good album, it isn't too varied in direction, but it gave us what we were craving for in the 90's - a decent rock band who could write decent songs....if ther was a better song released that decade that Wonderwall, I've yet to hear it.....(as always, that's just one man's opinion - feel free to disagree.....) what you can't argue with is the fact that it's an outstanding collection of riffs, songs, lyrics and musicianship......

I'd rather listen to DM than SPLHCB - the latter sounds dated now, and I'd rather listen to ANY Oasis album than the Beatles White Album.....come to think of it I'd rather be stranded 50 miles from any oasis than have to listen to the white album - at the end of the day, it's all down to personal choice......

I'd love to see a truly representative poll of fave albums, fave singles etc - but we'd need at least 2-300 members to reply to get a representative sample - and even then it'd be a false poll, because most, if not ALL, of the people on this site are into guitar music.....

Anyone want to try and set such a poll up?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 01/06/2006 10:16 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member
Topic starter

let me expand on what i stated earlier.

Humbug

#4491....

Posted : 01/06/2006 10:29 pm
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

Humbug
Once again, give us your top 5 then?
And Vic,
I would have thought a lot of the over 40s would agree with many of those albums (beatles, zep etc)? Seems to me that a large number of respondants still have that taste thing?

Posted : 01/06/2006 10:35 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Humbug
Once again, give us your top 5 then?
And Vic,
I would have thought a lot of the over 40s would agree with many of those albums (beatles, zep etc)? Seems to me that a large number of respondants still have that taste thing?

my replys reflect my view of the whole idea of people being polled on totally subjective topics, especially when the odds are most of the people being polled were not alive when much of the music that shaped what they are listening to today was breaking the ground for that music they prefer.

this is why it seems pointless to me that these polls even exsist. my preferences of a "top 5 or 10 or 100" would do nothing to change anyones views and frankly, i don't care. Vics point is pretty much just that, 20 somethings weren't around when the Beatles, Stones, etc were on the cutting edge.

what is interesting to me however is how this list compares to the RIAAs list of the top selling albums of all time

1.) Eagles: Their Greatest Hits
2.) Michael Jackson: Thriller
3.) Pink Floyd: The Wall I
4.) Led Zeppelin: IV, Untitled
5.) Billy Joel: Greatest Hits Volume I & II
6.) AC/DC: Back in Black
7.) Shania Twain: Come on Over
8.) Fleetwood Mac: Rumours
9.) The Beatles: The Beatles [White Album]
10.) Whitney Houston &Various Artists: The Bodyguard
11.) Boston: Boston
12.) Alanis Morissette: Jagged Little Pill
13.) Garth Brooks: No Fences
14.) Hootie & the Blowfish: Cracked Rear View
15.) Eagles: Hotel California
16.) Elton John: Greatest Hits
17.) The Beatles: 1967-70
18.) Bruce Springsteen: Born in the U.S.A.
19.) Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon
20.) Guns N' Roses: Appetite for Destruction

#4491....

Posted : 01/06/2006 11:15 pm
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

Whether they were or not, the Beatles still came out of it with 4 of the top 15, so I'm not sure what your point is, plus I would imagine there is little consensus on a classic Stones album (excluding compilations)? Satanic majesties or Exile perhaps?
And if you really didn't care then why not say so first or just not bother posting? And my point about you listing your faves was to prove that no-one will ever agree with a poll like this unless all their own faves win, and then you'd still be able to complain that your favourites band experimental bolivian jazz influenced 6 th album wasn't included ;)

Posted : 01/06/2006 11:23 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member
Topic starter

umm i tried to be clear , let me try again. i pretty much agree that these polls are pointless.
to draw any conclusions (if possible) a controlled group would have to be used. ages, demographics, etc.

#4491....

Posted : 01/06/2006 11:33 pm
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

if ther was a better song released that decade that Wonderwall, I've yet to hear itI don't think it was realeased, but have you heard Talk Tonight? (also an Oasis tune, but I don't know where it's from :)) They're very, very similar in many ways, but also quite different. I think it's a much more polished piece of songwriting - All opinion again, but hey. :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

Posted : 01/06/2006 11:55 pm
Page 1 / 2