Oasis beats Beatles in best album poll

23 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

let me expand on what i stated earlier.

Humbug
Once again, give us your top 5 then?You don't have to know what the best is to know what the best isn't - you only have to know one other thing that is better...

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

Posted : 02/06/2006 12:06 am
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

I can make a list people wouldn't mind...

1. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band, The Beatles

2. Revolver, The Beatles

3. OK Computer, Radiohead

4. Nevermind, Nirvana

5. The Stone Roses, The Stone Roses

6. Dark Side Of The Moon, Pink Floyd

7. The Queen Is Dead, Smiths

8. The Bends, Radiohead

9. The Joshua Tree, U2

10. London Calling, The Clash

11. The Beatles (The White Album), The Beatles

12. Abbey Road, The Beatles

13. Up The Bracket, The Libertines

14. Never Mind The Bollocks Here's The Sex Pistols, Sex Pistols

15. Four Symbols (Led Zeppelin IV), Led Zeppelin

16. The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars, David Bowie

17. A Night At The Opera, Queen

18. Is This It, The Strokes

524. Definitely Maybe, Oasis

1021. (What's The Story) Morning Glory?, Oasis

Although, if the magazine would have had it like this...they wouldn't of got free publicity from the whole world. So let's not assume that they even had a poll...

Ok, good list :D Put "the White Album' at #1 and you may have something :lol: :lol: :lol:

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 02/06/2006 12:16 am
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I never believe in polls.Even the political ones are mostly screwed up.

Posted : 02/06/2006 5:02 am
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

I don't think Oasis do suck, their first two albums ( and the Masterplan) are great,! Like Vic, I'd rather listen to one of those 3 than the White Album in it's entirety (If it were a single album we might have a different story). Also I don't get Radiohead, I think they are crappy noodlers, don't like U2, Libertines and the Strokes really? I prefer Revolver to Peppers, and I think Abbey Road is possibly my fave Beatles album.
And did any of you guys vote in this poll? IMO it's like an election, you can't complain about who won if you didn't help select them. Anyways I have made my points I hope, and I do agree that these polls are fundamentaly flawed, though this is the best I have seen in a long time (ie most great albums are in there!).

Posted : 02/06/2006 6:42 am
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

And did any of you guys vote in this poll? IMO it's like an election, you can't complain about who won if you didn't help select them. Don't start me on politics :) "Two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch". You have a choice of two subtly different groups of morons attempting to screw you over for the benefit of their fat-cat chums, and they think you can't complain because you get to choose which lot it is that mess you around? Pffft.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

Posted : 02/06/2006 6:48 am
(@mbroughton)
Eminent Member

I am probably slightly biased here as I really do think that Oasis produce - by and large - the most banal, derivative, lumpen, lyrically juvenile, unimaginitive dirge I have ever had the misfortune to listen to (and I was 19 when the debut came out so it wasn't an age issue), but....

How can Definitely Maybe be in any way superior to the Stone Roses eponymous debut!

Also, as much as I love The Beatles - and trust me I really do - am I alone in thinking that Sgt Peppers is one of their weakest albums? It is certainly the one I play the least - even though it does contain their finest moment in "A day in the life". I always wonder about this because I would far rather listen to RevolverRubber Soul, Help or Beatles for sale than Sgt Pepper.

1). Stone Roses - Stone Roses
2). Uncle Tupelo - March
3). Bob Dylan - Desire
4). Beatles - Revolver
5). De La Soul - Three Feet high and rising.

but this changes daily!

Posted : 07/06/2006 2:31 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Oasis may have won the poll, but the Beatles won my heart! :D So there! LOL!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 07/06/2006 2:36 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I'm not old. I'm not a big fan of classic rock. I don't consider vintage, classic or NOS to be positive words. But Oasis is just flat out boring compared to what the Beatles attempted. Espescially when you consider they didn't have an 'undo' button in the studio. They just don't have anything really 'special'. But hey, it's all about taste and the more controversial the list the better the discussions that follow. :)

Posted : 12/06/2006 1:57 pm
Page 2 / 2