offtopic: Free gmail account to first 5 emails

15 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@palehorse)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hello,

In a unrelated topic, I have 5 invites sitting idle in my gmail box that I will give away to the first 5 folks that write me.

gmail is google's free web based email, with a gig of storage. Gmail is currently in beta and closed to the public. http://gmail.google.com Since I am in, and I have invites to give away, no sense wasting them when I could share them with you all.

sticky me with your email address (don't post it here email harvesters will have you spammed in no time).

Mike

----------------------------------------------
Life is a snowmobile racing across the frozen tundra that suddenly flips over pinning you underneath. At night the ice weasels come...

Posted : 28/06/2004 9:39 pm
(@palehorse)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

3 more left FYI

Life is a snowmobile racing across the frozen tundra that suddenly flips over pinning you underneath. At night the ice weasels come...

Posted : 28/06/2004 10:04 pm
(@palehorse)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

2 left

Posted : 29/06/2004 5:45 pm
(@palehorse)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Sorry, no more left. I will post again when they give me more invites.

Mike

Posted : 30/06/2004 7:29 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Thank you very much .

Posted : 30/06/2004 8:37 pm
(@pcparrothead)
Eminent Member

new to the board....but I have been very impressed....looks like a good community.

anyway....I have 6 invites available that I will offer up.

email me at [email protected]

I will need first name, last name, and email address you want invite sent to.

first 6 get the invites!!

THANKS

Posted : 21/10/2004 10:19 am
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I have six to give away also

nick.torres

Posted : 21/10/2004 10:30 am
(@pcparrothead)
Eminent Member

3 left!!

Posted : 22/10/2004 10:14 am
(@pcparrothead)
Eminent Member

2 Left

Posted : 22/10/2004 1:33 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Just so everyone realizes, read the privacy policy clearly.

Google will read your emails (supposedly electronically) and then display ads based on the content of your email.

This may be a problem for some people.

Other wise it's getting some decent reviews. The July 2004 PC World has an article about Google email if anyone is interested.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 22/10/2004 1:52 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Google will read your emails (supposedly electronically) and then display ads based on the content of your email.

Content Management is far more widespread than you think. The email is not actually read by anyone, or even electronically, for that matter. The application that runs content management has a list of keywords, to which are attached ads. Using various algorithms, the software decides which ad is most appropriate to your profile. You are not a lone in the world and there are many people with similar tastes to you - their profiles are also taken into consideration. Just take a look at Amazon - when you look at a book title, or whatever, you get a list of other books that people, who bought that book also bought.
It's everywhere and quite subtle - I think Google is being far more open and honest than it actually needs to be.

In Germany, there is sufficient information in some databases to actually tell you the average salary range of the tenants of an apartment block, the "average" car and type of job. On a wider basis, they have crime statistics that will tell you how often crime occurs, the level of damage (in monetary terms) and several other things - on a streetwide basis. This is, though, much more tightly controlled than information in the US.
If you have ever wondered why you got an insurance cover for 20% less than your pal, who lives a couple of streets away, it's almost certainly because of what the insurance company knows about your street and his.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 22/10/2004 2:57 pm
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Just like we do here at GN (no, we do not read your email!). Google scans the words on these pages and selects 2 ads that have the best match. Some of these are pretty accurate, but some references are quite amusing.

-Laz

Posted : 22/10/2004 3:43 pm
(@scratchmonkey)
Honorable Member

In the same way that they read each and every web page they return links to when you do a search for say, "Nirvana".

Still, it's always a good idea to read any site's privacy policy. Personally, I prefer Googles ad generating method to Yahoo's. I really *don't* want to meet singles in my area.

Anyways, it's a good point cnev makes, and one that caused me some concern until I read more about it. The more I learned about Google's mail service, the more it became (for me at least) a non-issue.

-- Scratch 8)

-- Scratch 8)

"...if heartaches were commercials, we'd all be on TV" -- John Prine

Posted : 22/10/2004 3:43 pm
(@pcparrothead)
Eminent Member

I got 1 left
yes only ONE

will you be the lucky one to get my last invite??

:)

Posted : 23/10/2004 2:12 am
(@pcparrothead)
Eminent Member

last one gone!!!!!!!

if I get any more I will post them up!!!

Posted : 26/10/2004 10:24 am