Clear all

Our first gig

17 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Last night was the world debut of Spookhand. We played at a birthday party. There were 4 other bands playing, we played 2nd. The first band was an art rock group w/ guitar, bass and vocals. They did some Iggy Pop covers and some original stuff. Their last song was about pancakes and they threw frozen pancakes into the crowd. :? We set up after them and opened w/ a cover of The Ramones' happy birthday song to Mr. Burns on the Simpsons. We went straight into their "Blitzkrieg Bop". We did 7 originals (Throw the Switch, Murder Motel, Wolfman, Rock n' Roll Zombie, Graveyard Baby, They're Coming to Get You Barbara and Unseen). Our set list had another original (Vader) which was supposed to go straight into a cover of The Misfits' "We Are 138." But our singer started the vocals for "138" at the end of "Unseen", so we just followed and played it. We then did "Vader" and did "We Are 138" again cause it was so much fun. :D

There were 40-50 people there and everyone really dug us. We got lots of applause, people dancing and singing along, even on the originals. We got a lot of "great jobs" and compliments after our set. We had a few glitches, but overall it went well. I had one song where the input on my bass was too high and it was clipping. I turned down, but too much, so the next song I was turned down too much. Our drummer didn't have any carpet anything under his set, so his kick kept sliding forward while he was playing. After a few songs, we had our drum tech/roadie sit in front of it to keep it still. My oldest son also helped us out setting up and ran the digital recorder. I'll post a song or two soon.

Here are a couple of pics...

Bass player for Undercover

Posted : 10/05/2009 6:32 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Congrats on your 1st gig! 8)

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 10/05/2009 8:48 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, congrats on your first gig! Pretty cool that your originals went down well, too!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 10/05/2009 9:07 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

All rught!!!!! Glad it went so well. 8) 8)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 12/05/2009 5:20 am
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Way to go Jim

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 12/05/2009 2:48 pm
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

Sweet! Good stuff man! Keep at it, ya hear?

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

Posted : 12/05/2009 3:45 pm
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Way to go Jim

It's Jeff, but thanks! :D

Posted : 13/05/2009 5:10 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Are you sure? Check your liscense?

:oops: My bad I probably called you Jim more than once

Posted : 13/05/2009 5:13 pm
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member
Topic starter

No problem, it's definitely not the worst I've been called!

Posted : 13/05/2009 5:17 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Well now that I'm embarassed I won't forget,

Sorry about that John

Posted : 13/05/2009 5:27 pm
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member
Topic starter

:D

For anyone who is interested, we've released a bootleg of our show (is it a bootleg if you record it yourself?). Sound quality isn't very good, as we were playing in a garage and only had vocals going through the PA. Link is below. It is compressed in a .rar file, so you'll need WinRAR or something capable of unpacking .rar files.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/vrfnur

Posted : 13/05/2009 7:33 pm
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Dude! So glad to hear that the band is going strong. Last I was on GN, you were talking about starting it. So, when do i get the official like Spookhand T-shirt? :lol: Sounds like you guys had a great time playing too! Was ya nervous at all? (Being it was your first gig)

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Posted : 06/06/2009 1:34 am
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member
Topic starter

I'm still waiting on my official Spookhand t-shirt! We have a guy making a limited, band and family only t-shirt for us, but he's been dragging his feet. Pretty soon, we'll have the fan edition made and I'll send you one.

It's funny, I've had stage fright my whole life. Drama class in high school was like torture and even in my professional life, I get nervous if I have to talk in front of a crowd. But that night, I wasn't nervous at all. I was excited, but not nervous. Next time I have to give a talk at work, I'm wearing my bass :D

We've got a show on the 17th and the 30th at actual clubs and I'm just looking forward to playing, no fear at all.

Posted : 06/06/2009 6:49 pm
(@davidhodge)

Send me a PM with the info on the next two gigs and I'll include it in the Guitar Noise Newsletter!

Congrats on all this and hope that you're finding it a lot of fun.

Peace

Posted : 06/06/2009 6:57 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

It's funny, I've had stage fright my whole life. Drama class in high school was like torture and even in my professional life, I get nervous if I have to talk in front of a crowd. But that night, I wasn't nervous at all. I was excited, but not nervous. Next time I have to give a talk at work, I'm wearing my bass
I hear ya man! It's tough. Gets easier once your up there and get on a roll. I'm hoping music will be the same.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 06/06/2009 7:49 pm
Page 1 / 2