Clear all

Out of Commission For A While

46 Posts
27 Users
0 Likes
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I hope that's not your rectal exam finger? That would really stink!

KR2 - Nice pooch!

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 27/08/2008 8:20 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Well, that stinks anyway. (At least till the glove comes off.)

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 27/08/2008 8:22 pm
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member

Sorry for your loss, Ricochet. I haven't had cats for years due to my wife's allergies, but we had to put our Cocker Spaniel down a couple of years ago and it still hurts. I had taken pictures of her with my camera phone and I look at them almost every day.

RIP Cally

Jim

Posted : 28/08/2008 11:27 am
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Thanks!

Finger's improving.

Posted : 28/08/2008 3:59 pm
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Sorry to hear about that. We have a cat named Cally also...just a kitten(3 months) :D

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 29/08/2008 3:49 am
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Hope your Cally's with you for a long time! Mine was my buddy for 13 years.

Posted : 29/08/2008 9:01 am
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I'm just here quick and skimming things because today I have to wire the "Man Cave", but I just wanted to tell you Ric that I feel for you. Both for your loss and the bite. Take care of the finger, I know you will. 13 years is a long time, that is how long we lived with our friend Tom. He passed 2 years ago last January after having a stroke. We replaced him with my little black devil that has considered a bit of open insulation in the cave a toilet! I wonder if he knows cats can be put down? :? :lol: Do you have plans to get another cat, or are you going to wait for one to find you? Gotta run, I'll be thinking about you.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 30/08/2008 10:49 am
(@ksac32)
Reputable Member

Sorry to hear that :(

http://www.soundclick.com/kensacco
http://www.soundclick.com/thetools

Posted : 30/08/2008 11:50 am
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Thanks!

TR, we've still got Cally's very different sister Sally, another little stray that came along a couple of years later, once named Ally, but now just called Fatty, and Tommy, an orange stray tomcat who was quite wild and paranoid when he came 3 years ago but came to trust us and turned into a big pet. Sweet cat. Talked more than any cat I've heard when he came. The pitch of his voice went up and down and sounded like a sentence structure. He'd deliver some real speeches when things were tough, and I felt like he was telling us his troubles. Doesn't talk much nowadays. We have a young tomcat, black with white markings, coming at every feeding now. We just call him Blackie. He's got the others upset by his intruding presence, but he's actually rather polite and considerate, as is Tommy. May well be his kitten. And for the last couple of weeks we've had a wild turtle coming to eat most mornings. I've long been throwing out the stale cat food under the tree where I feed the birds. The crows eat it. (And Mama Crow starts calling me at dawn to put it out.) The turtle was out there trying to eat dry cat food, which on that occasion was just too hard for her to crunch, so I gave her some canned food. Turtle stayed out there most of the day and I gave her more till she was stuffed. She's been back most mornings since, and yesterday she was around back below the deck steps where we feed the cats. Some cat food gets pitched down there, and she knew it. Gave her a spoonful of canned food and a bit of dry food in the grass. She inhaled the canned stuff and happily sniffed out and crunched the bits of dry cat food in the grass for a long while. She's wild, but she knows I'm feeding her. This turtle's very recognizable, having unusual bright orange coloring on the sides of her head and neck and on her legs. Never saw one like that. Also has some sort of large growth, cyst or tumor behind the left angle of her jaw, which doesn't seem to be causing her any difficulty at this point. (Got to wonder if that has some relationship to the lawn chemical spray services most of my neighbors use?) Seems like whenever we lose a pet, another animal shows up to fill the void.

Posted : 30/08/2008 12:55 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

After typing that, I went to look for the turtle, who wasn't out there earlier. She was around back, looking like she'd come looking for food and was starting to leave disappointed. I gave her some dry cat food and tore up small bits of some dried out deli roast beef I was giving the water turtles. She's out there happily gobbling all that.

Posted : 30/08/2008 1:15 pm
(@steinar-gregertsen)
Honorable Member

Talked more than any cat I've heard when he came. The pitch of his voice went up and down and sounded like a sentence structure. He'd deliver some real speeches.......

Funny, mine (The Owl) is exactly the same. Sometimes she scares the crap out of me,- if she wants company and feels I'm ignoring her she sneaks up behind me and starts 'lecturing' me with this scary deep voice. Her 'sound repertoire' is quite amazing, never heard a cat 'talk' so much before... 8)
A friend of mine had a similar cat (Persian) for 16 years and he had learned to imitate her,- first time he visited me after I got The Owl he sat and 'talked' with her for a long time, that was quite funny to listen to! :)

"Play to express, not to impress"
Website - YouTube

Posted : 30/08/2008 2:05 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Just looked out where the turtle had finished eating and left. A bluejay was eagerly scarfing up the leftover bits of dry food. Poor old jay was baldheaded. Never saw one of those. Didn't have the usual topknot. Something's wrong with him.

We feed all sorts of critters here. The only ones I don't want to encourage are the raccooons. People think they're cute, but they're thugs with arrogant, entitled and demanding personalities, very disrespectful, and they're vindictive and destructive. Since the dog's been gone I've had to take in the cats' food dishes and the bird feeders at night. Sometimes I don't get them in on time, and it encourages them. They got a feast last Saturday night when we were out away at dark, and Sunday night I had to take it away from a young female 'coon who came just before dark. She kept coming back to argue the issue. Sunday I got it in early, and a coon pooped on the deck right outside the door to make a point. Monday they tore down the bird feeder and ripped it open. (A metal feeder, coons are strong. Wasn't the bear who's done that before, I'd've seen the tracks.) If I didn't live in town, I'd eat the 'coons. I don't mind possums and skunks, they're respectful, and the skunks have been known to discourage the coons.

Posted : 30/08/2008 2:43 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Well, it they get too demanding, remind them that you would love to have a(nother) 'coon skin hat to go with that musket of yours.
It's just what you need to go with that Tennessee Volunteer look.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 30/08/2008 2:51 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I've thought of that.

Posted : 30/08/2008 3:00 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Sorry to hear about your cat. I cried on and off for a couple months when Blue died. He was my first dog. He had a good 16 years. We were told he had about six months to go when he turned 9 because of an enlarged heart. Thankfully for him he only knew "wanna go for a walk" and "let's go to the roy rogers drive through". I'm pretty sure he knew a lot more, he just pretended he didn't.

Posted : 30/08/2008 5:54 pm
Page 3 / 4