Clear all

Out with the old?

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@threegtrz)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I'm in the process of leaving the band I am in. There's 3 jobs left for us to do together in the next few weeks.

In the several weeks since our last job, the rest of them got together without notifying me and learned a bunch of new songs to add to the playlist. I then got an email from them saying that I am not to be onstage with them during these new songs for the remaining gigs.

The mature, professional part of me is saying just to soldier on through. The childish, vindictive side says to get thru the next gig (I need the $$ from this one) and then tell 'em to jump in the lake. For all I know they may tell me to get out when I show up for the next gig.

My official reason for leaving was that I simply couldn't commit to the busy gig schedule since I am the only member who still has kids at home. I was trying to make this an amicable split. While I do have personal issues, I have kept them to myself - mainly because I can be a moody SOB and I didn't want to burn any bridges. Plus, I figured personality conflict is part of the nature of the beast.

Thanks

Posted : 09/11/2007 3:04 pm
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Well, there is no perfect way to do this, so just try to make the best of it. It is common practice in many bands that if you're not playing on a song, you step off stage, so that is not rude all by itself.

Is there anyway they could set it up so you simply don't play the last set? That way you're not hopping up and down every other song, which could be awkward.

Since you said that you were leaving soon anyway, it seems like all of you should be able to work it out. But you're right, if the next gig doesn't go well, you should probably cut your losses.

There are lots of GNers in "northern Illinois"; you should be able to find more people to play with, even with a limited schedule.

Good luck.

Posted : 09/11/2007 4:51 pm
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Say something like "It's not a problem at all, I wouldn't want to be standing there doing nothing anyway. Can we work out a song schedule so that these songs either are at the starts or ends of the set schedules so that I am not getting up and down off the stage all night -- since doing that would make the band appear disjointed, and I wouldn't want the band's reputation to be effected by my leaving."

There's nothing at all wrong with them carrying on -- that's what they have to do. There's nothing rude in what they've done or what they're asking you to do. Now, just be a professional and work out a set schedule so that it works out for you as well.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

Posted : 09/11/2007 5:00 pm
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Where are you in Northern IL? Chicago burbs?

Yea, just play out these last gigs and move on. If this band breaks up member may call you later to form another band.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

Posted : 13/11/2007 8:00 pm