Clear all

Pain in the fretting index finger

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

I noticed something when I was playing earlier in the day, and debated on posting it because I wasn't sure i wanted to hear what people had to say, but I'm going to do it anyway:

My ring finger goes numb sometimes. When I hit a certain spot on my finger (the fretting finger) there is a bit of pain, then a bit of numbing. It lasts for all of about 3 seconds, then it goes back to normal. It doesn't seem to effect my playing, but I figured it was worth asking. I'm thinking that my calus and the groove in my finger from the strings are right about where a nerve is and I'll need to re-learn to fret with that finger.

Anyone else heard of this?

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 29/09/2009 5:27 am
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

yep. I experience something like that now and again. for me, it's more like a very tender spot when pressed just so I get a shock of pain which subsides quickly. this happens when I overdo the guitar playing. a day or two off the frets and it's gone.
our day jobs and honey-do lists keeps the fingers working. some stress from those things show up on guitar playing.
take a break and see what happens.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 29/09/2009 10:36 am
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Yea I've had something very similar happen if I play alot. doesn't happen often and just taking some time off even only a few hours always cleared it up.

I notice it's when I might be practicing the same song/exercise for extended periods and I'll notice that one of my fingers (it is usually the index) has a groove from the strings and when i press on the string instant shooting pain and sometimes numbness.

I would just back off for a day or so and you should be fine, obviously if it doesn't go away you may have bigger issues.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 29/09/2009 1:59 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Cool, thanks alot guys!! I'm hoping that's all it is. Although I did notice that when I picked up my laptop today it happened, so, we'll see if it persists. If not, then I'm good!

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 30/09/2009 3:35 am
(@davidwilliam)

hello everyone,

Even i was facing the same problem.I was unable to place finger due to pain in the fretting index finger.I thought to quit playing for few days.But than one of my experienced friend gave me advice "not to quit and bear the pain after, someday you will be use to it".So thats the same advice i would like to give you..

thank you!!

Posted : 15/10/2009 5:26 am