Clear all

Perfect Pitch Gene

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@nirvgas)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I was in bio class the other day an we were going over genetics. We went over some disorders caused by genetic problems, and got onto the topic of Williams Syndrome. Apparently people with Williams syndrome have a MUCH higher occurence of perfect pitch than that of "normal" people who don't have it. Being a genetic disorder, does this mean that they've found the gene (or allele) responsible for perfect pitch?

This may not be "breaking news" but it's news to me!! Has anyone heard of this before?

A couple of relevent articles....Williams Syndrome...and Perfect Pitch

Life is my friend
Rake it up to take it in
Wrap me in your cinnamon
Especially in Michigan
...well I could be your friend- RHCP

Posted : 11/04/2007 1:39 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Interesting, looks like the condition is caused by the deletion of genetic material from a certain region that includes about 20 genes.

I would say based on that they still have a way to go before they can isolate the gene for perfect pitch

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 11/04/2007 1:50 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

You need way, way more information to make any sensible suggestions or theories regarding this. Since perfect pitch is generally not tested with young infants it is impossible to tell whether the actual genetic differences cause the increased chance of perfect pitch, or whether the genetic differences lead to different environmental factors which then in turn increase the chance of developing perfect pitch. Maybe even both the genetic difference and the increased chance of perfect pitch are both caused by a similar, yet currently unknown, factor.

Or in short: you can't say nothing yet about it.

Posted : 14/04/2007 12:03 pm
(@nirvgas)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Obviously there are no definite conclusions drawn about this yet, but it's more than apparent that BOTH genotype and exposure to music (namely, before age 6-ish) contribute to whether or not an individual has perfect pitch. A person doesn't need to have William's syndrome to have perfect pitch, but it sure seems to help.

What we can say about it is that scientists are starting to narrow down which genetic area(s) help to contribute to a person's ability to distinguish tonality.

Life is my friend
Rake it up to take it in
Wrap me in your cinnamon
Especially in Michigan
...well I could be your friend- RHCP

Posted : 17/04/2007 12:27 am