Clear all

PM Spam

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Just received a PM from a user named "prolificus". Don't click on his link or you will be taken to a dodgy online pharmacy whose URL I shall not repost here. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Would the admins like to nobble "prolificus", and see if there isn't a way to stop this kind of stuff. It would be a great pity to see Guitar Noise lapse into another of these empty forums haunted only by spammers and promoters of yuck...

Posted : 07/05/2009 5:48 am
(@catsworth)
Estimable Member

Same here, except a different Member - this time called 'ferracont':

http://forums.guitarnoise.com/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=24701

Don't know where the link I was sent ends up as my system wouldn't even let me browse to it.

Rumour has it that if you play Microsoft CDs backwards you will hear Satanic messages.

Worse still, is that if you play them forwards they will install Windows.

Posted : 25/05/2009 7:21 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Thanks for making this post! I'll make sure they get on Nick's list. :D

I'm thinking that Nick has already taken care of 'ferracont'.

Anyone who gets spam through their PM's please report it to a moderator so that we can get them eliminated as soon as possible!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 25/05/2009 10:08 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

gone and gone.

Thanks

Posted : 25/05/2009 10:24 pm
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

Wish these people just go and get a life :evil:

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

Posted : 26/05/2009 2:33 am
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

Nick,

Is there any way to limit/curtail PM privileges of members with fewer than x posts? I've known it to be used on other forums to prevent this kind of spamming. The downside is it might result in more spam threads on the boards, but I've not noticed that on the boards using this system.

Setting a minimum number of posts at 10-20 would seem sufficient to stop the spamming while not affecting genuine members too adversely imho.

Just some thoughts; I'm sure you're already thinking through the various options.

As a basic security measure for other members, if you get a PM from a sender you don't know, perhaps checking their posting history in their profile would help ascertain whether it is a genuine PM or spam. Again, just musing aloud.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

Posted : 26/05/2009 3:24 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Nick,

Is there any way to limit/curtail PM privileges of members with fewer than x posts? I've known it to be used on other forums to prevent this kind of spamming.

Very good idea. :D

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 27/05/2009 12:16 am
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

It would be a third party add on. We try to steer away from those because if we ever have to rebuild the server, we have to reinstall more things, adding complexity to the process. I'll look though. I think we'd be better served by improving the captcha software.

Posted : 27/05/2009 9:44 am