Clear all

Potential Volunteer "Gig" - UPDATED

45 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
10.9 K Views
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

She talked of this and that, but she told me that every day at 5:30 this one big plane flys over head in a different direction than most. She said that the pilot flaps the wing flaps to wave at her every time and she waves right back. Kind of hard to not be at least a little jealous of someone with that kind of outlook on life. 8)

Lovely story Roy. :D

Speaking of somewhat eccentric outlooks on life, BluezOldy alerted me to this video, and it lifts my spirits every time I watch it. I think it might be in Norway.

Unusual Combo

The idea of using a - let's say 'unusual drummer' - is delightful enough in itself, but letting it take little solos is just brilliant. They do say that comedy is all in the timing... Some awesome playing going on too. Maybe you can add a cover of their version of Sweet Georgia Brown to your act. Sure to get some traction with that one..

Cheers,

Chris

Posted : 23/05/2009 4:08 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Yeah, I've seen that one. Good fun. I love it when they look at the tractor as if they were watching a drummer do his solos.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 23/05/2009 12:38 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Well, it's been a while since I first brought this up. I didn't recover as well as I had hoped, so this got shelved.

At any rate, this is going forward again. I've been talking with my friend this week and she's very excited to have me come down.

It will be a unit by unit thing with 5-10 in each. She said that even the deaf ones feel the music if loud enough. Something about feeling the vibrations and to bring my amp.

Their activities are planned for 30 minutes. The date has not been set yet. The hold up on this one is me.

I figure on picking songs from the responses I got earlier in this thread in addition to some I've thought of. Will learn at least twice the material needed. Will also have to buy a mic and stand and learn how to use a mic properly. As I found out with my USB mic for PC recording, it isn't as simple as just "singing into the mic".

She said the most interesting phrase. "Keep it gentle and play with good intentions."

That's about it for now. Probably a couple months I'll have a real live playing for others report. <gulp> 8)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 04/02/2010 6:19 pm
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Hey Roy, how did this ever turn out? What was your set list you ended up with? My father-in-law's mother recently moved back down here to TN (she's been in PA with her daughter for a few years). She's in a small center that specializes with dementia/Alzheimer's patients and we were talking tonight and I remembered you talking about this. I was thinking about doing something similar.

Bass player for Undercover

Posted : 11/08/2012 12:29 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

My head consistency is still an obstacle, as is the hearing my voice reverberate inside my head causing Migraines thing. I got this massive book at GC and another about 1/2 as much in size that are both ckocked full of those public domain type songs. I had 3 sets of 10 short songs all lined up and practiced before the reverberation thing started nailing me pretty hard.

It's too bad, too. It would have been fun, I bet.

Roy

Posted : 11/08/2012 12:43 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

My head consistency is still an obstacle, as is the hearing my voice reverberate inside my head causing Migraines thing. I got this massive book at GC and another about 1/2 as much in size that are both ckocked full of those public domain type songs. I had 3 sets of 10 short songs all lined up and practiced before the reverberation thing started nailing me pretty hard.

It's too bad, too. It would have been fun, I bet.

Roy

Posted : 11/08/2012 12:43 am
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Sorry to hear that Roy. I hope you feel better.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 11/08/2012 2:38 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Sorry to hear that Roy. I hope you feel better.
Thanks, TR. No live stuff for me, but I can certainly adapt a home project studio to my needs. The home studio is the perfect "audience". It lets me dictate when, how, pace, energy and volume. The only thing I cannot control is thunderstorms. :lol:

Roy

Posted : 11/08/2012 9:42 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

What was your set list you ended up with?

I found it, Jeff. the initial sets list. A nice little mixture. I was told that there would be small groups with about a 45 minute attention span. I could have done all the same 10 songs, but it would have been my debut and remembered wanting to know which songs were well received and which were not so well received.

I had a couple in these lists that I'm pretty sure would have gotten replaced before I even got going with this.

And finally, I have chord sheet text files. PM me if ya want any of it.

"" denotes sing-a-longs

Initial Set Lists

Set 1
Country Roads
Ring Of Fire
Clementine
Down In The Valley
Blue Suede Shoes
Cest La Vie (You Never Can Tell)
She's Got A Way (Might Replace)
Love In Vain (Might Replace)
Camptown Ladies
She'll Be Coming Around the Mountain

Set 2
King of the Road
Nobody Knows You (When You're Down And Out)
Tennessee Waltz
Home on the Range
Promised Land
Folsom Prison Blues
Stand By Me
The Night The Drove Old Dixie Down
This Land Is Your Land
Oh Susanna

Set 3
Friends In Low Places (Might Replace)
Mr. Bojangles - in C instead of D (Might Replace)
Crazy
He's Got The Whole World In His Hands
I Want To Be Like You (the Disney Jungle Book/Louis Parma song)
Mack The knife
Sitting Dock Of The Bay
Sing Me Back Home (with a slight lyric change)
In The Jailhouse Now
You Are My Sunshine

indicates sing-a-longs

Roy

Posted : 13/08/2012 10:49 pm
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Sorry to hear it has not panned out Roy. I think this is a great idea, and Ive thought of it myself. Now im a LONG way off of playing live, but my thought is that it would be a great idea to 1) chear some people up that dont get out much, and B) its a GREAT way to get some time playing for others under your belt!!! I have a home right down the road from my place about a mile or so. I also thought the best would be starting out with a 1/2 hour or so of songs to start and the first time ask the people for requests and write them down and learn them. Tune your set for them. As for what to play... Well going my my parents... My mom and dad would be 75 if they were still with us... but Mom listened to classic country, and Dad... well he turned me on to the Beatles, and Moody blues at a real young age, and eaven Black Sabbith in the early 70's!! so... 60's rock is fair game IMHO. Remember... a 75 year old was 30 when the Beatles hit... thats not that old.

As for all the planning and work you have done Roy.... Have you thought of getting someone to sing for you? Will that help? Remember... a nice looking lady singer will always get the older guys at least paying attention!!!

Paul B

Posted : 14/08/2012 3:54 pm
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

That's exactly the kind of stuff I'm looking for, Roy! I'll PM you my email address for chord sheets. Thanks!

Posted : 15/08/2012 3:53 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

As for all the planning and work you have done Roy.... Have you thought of getting someone to sing for you?
I know one person who sings, but we've never gotten together. Logistics on both ends would be a nightmare to overcome.

She did teach me how to make authentic Southern U.S. style biscuits and Fried Chicken, though, so not all is lost. :lol:
Remember... a 75 year old was 30 when the Beatles hit... thats not that old.
At age 30, I was already getting bent out of shape about the new music. :roll:

Roy

Posted : 15/08/2012 11:15 am
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Oh not me!! I hit my late 20's early 30's right when Grunge hit, and I was SO happy to see 80's hair metal go down!!!!!!!!

Paul B

Posted : 15/08/2012 12:36 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Oh not me!! I hit my late 20's early 30's right when Grunge hit, and I was SO happy to see 80's hair metal go down!!!!!!!!
I did like the grunge stuff to an extent. I did/do like it much better than the 80's hair metal. I didn't listen to it, so it didn't matter to me that they phased out. ( and that they went down....they were certainly dressed for it. ) :mrgreen:

Roy

Posted : 15/08/2012 2:15 pm
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

I turned 40 last Thursday. I'm now prepared to write a song called "Get Off My Lawn"

Posted : 15/08/2012 11:50 pm
Page 3 / 3