Notifications
Clear all

R.I.P. - John Peel

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@alangreen)
Topic starter

Just announced, the death of John Peel, aged 65.

John championed proper Punk music on the radio in the late 1970's with his 10 pm til midnight show on Radio 1 - essential listening when you were young, skint and wanted some fun, and almost essential listening even if you weren't. He won the Best Radio Show award in the NME Readers' Poll year after year, because he played independent label music that people wanted to listen to rather than what the big record companies told them to buy.

I wondered if he'd sold out the night he first presented Top Of The Pops on BBC TV, but without once breaking into a smile he took the show and shook it by the scruff of the neck; giving it a second lease of life after its early 1970's heyday. We'll not see his like again.

The world is a sadder and emptier place.

A :(

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 26/10/2004 1:26 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

That is really sad news, JP was one of the original DJ's on Radio 1 when it opened in 1967....not only did he champion punk, like Alan said, he was the only DJ to play progressive rock music on R1......

I have a video of him playing Mandolin on "Maggie May" with Rod and the Faces on the Xmas 71 "Top of the Pops", he always had a wonderful dry sense of humour....

I had the privilege of meeting him once, stood on the Kop at Anfield...he was a huge Liverpool fan, I think he called his son William Anfield Peel...and he was just as warm and friendly in real life as he was on the radio.

Rest in peace, John......your passing leaves a huge hole in the musical world which can never be filled adequately.....my thoughts, prayers and condolences go to his family.

:( :( :(

Vic.

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 26/10/2004 4:41 pm
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

OMG I just heard on the news - :(

John Peel - a fine man and a big influence on many people including me.

Thank you.

Goodbye Old Friend

Pet.

Posted : 26/10/2004 6:16 pm