Clear all

Re-Mastering my CD

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

There were things that I didn't like about my CD...got great reviews, but something wasn't quite right...so I decided to re-master it and see if I could use the knowledge gained to improve upon it.

Here are two files from my CD.

Original: http://www.box.net/shared/vr7pbqcz5n

Re-Mastered - http://www.box.net/shared/zh7en70iv9

I'm looking for some honest feedback....if the re-mastered versions sound better, then if you ordered my Cd, either physical or digital, let me know and I'll re-up my Cd so you can download the re-mastered files!

Thanks guys!!!

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 11/05/2010 7:28 am
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

The re-mastered version sounds a lot better. I listened on headphones and the first had so much bass it was uncomfortable. You might add just a touch of bass back in to the re-mastered version though. Certain parts sounded just a tad thin.

Bass player for Undercover

Posted : 11/05/2010 10:54 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thanks, I'll try to thicken up a bit...the problem is the only file I've got to work with is that original that's posted. But I think I can still boost some things a bit!

Posted : 11/05/2010 12:11 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I also prefer the remastered version. It is clearer. I used my laptop speakers.

Posted : 11/05/2010 2:11 pm
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Much nicer, Joe. jwmartin's advice is spot on. Bring a little of the bass back and you're good to go.
:)

Don

Posted : 11/05/2010 3:30 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

After putting this on my iPod, listening to it in the car, there is so much white noise that to me it's un-acceptable. If you were to buy that in a store, you would return it. Borders in my area is carrying it, and while I've heard nothing but good things about it...to me, there is something not right.

I think I'm going to try to re-record the CD and see what happens, that way I can manipulate the actual files and not try to re-invent the wheel with my older files.

Posted : 12/05/2010 4:34 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Okay I decided to go ahead and try messing around with multi-band dynamics....and here's what I've come up with. Side by side I can tell a good bit of difference

http://www.box.net/shared/kob2c4b5sk

Feedback is very welcome in this!

Posted : 13/05/2010 8:58 am
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

More bass then the previous test but slightly clearer than the original. I think the previous was... I don't know how to describe... "more open", "wider"? Perhaps it is related to the white noise, I don't know.

Posted : 13/05/2010 9:07 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

You are probobly right about the noise from the previous test. I'm trying to make it as tight as possible and I think I've opened up the high end about as much as I could without white noise severely leaking in.

Posted : 13/05/2010 9:19 am