Notifications
Clear all

Really sad

26 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
(@soundgarden)
Trusted Member

I find it quite concerning, that there's a widespread idea that teenagers these days are so much worse than they've ever been. The schools i have gone to have had no incidents anywhere near the seriousness if the ones described, in fact 99% of the students at my school are relativly trouble free yet it is often made out on the news as if we (teenagers) are some sort of new problem. I'll admit i'm in one of the safest cities in the world and there's is very little in the way of serious crime, but regardless teenagers are made out as some plague upon society. It may in some ways be true that a lot of teenagers these days do use bad language a lot but thats only because we've been exposed and desensitized to it by older generations. It seems that a large proportion of adults seem to have some serious perspective issues. Were a generation that has had fear bombarded upon us throughout the entirety of our lives ( I think the education system has a lot to account for the amount of times i've heard teachers insinuate that low levels of success in school are a guaranteed path to failure throughout life is sickening). Not meaning to disrespectfully attack anybody on this fine website but please remember that you are attacking an entire generation that has not had it as easy as it may seem.

I'll admit thats a bit off topic on a guitar forum site but i believe it's relivant.

Drugs are a waste of time. They destroy your memory and your self-respect and everything that goes along with with your self esteem. Kurt Cobain
Have you seen the roses? There's a whole lot of colours. Syd Barret

Posted : 01/09/2006 10:44 am
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I find it quite concerning, that there's a widespread idea that teenagers these days are so much worse than they've ever been. .

Ehh, dont be too concerned. The 40, 50s, etc groups said the same thing when I was a teen. Its quite common for people to grow up and think that things have changed so much.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 01/09/2006 10:59 am
 Pet
(@pet_1567860324)
Estimable Member

I have to agree with Hilch, a smack across the back of the legs never did anybody any harm.

Belts, slippers, canes - That's child abuse!

Now because the law is such a grey area most parents are at a loss on how to disipline their child, and now children have the "I'll call child line" retort, when you do try to disipline them.

What do you do?

Children have too many influences pulling them in all the wrong directions, so of course they're not going to listen to their parents.

It's hard going for the parents who actually do give a cr@p about their kids and their well being.

(Nice to see you around again Hilchy)

Soundgarden, I think in a few more years you will start noticing the differences in attitudes in younger generations. It wasn't that long ago I was at school and the victim of some horrendous bullying, both at school and at home. Yet I can look around today and see that things are infact worse. Yes incidents are highlighted more because of better local and international news coverage and the internet, but I can only say that is a good thing if it brings the appalling behaviour of our children to our attention.

"We Are The Facilitators Of Our Own Creative Evolution".

Posted : 01/09/2006 1:47 pm
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

What a terrible thing to do to someone, just a disgusting act. Wow. Stab someone in the eye? I'm sure we don't know the full story, but whatever it is, just horrible.

I have to agree with soundgarden. I'm 18, and most of the kids I know aren't that bad. Sure, they're all well on their way to becoming alcoholics, but they aren't stabbing people in the eye. They get it from their parents.

Not just teenagers though, at the summer job I had, I worked in an office building with 25 year olds+ who cursed every other word...We were just typing up medical files.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

Posted : 01/09/2006 11:57 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

That's one thing that really gets my goat. People who don't seem to know any other words than those that are meant to offend. I'll freely admit to using profanity on occasion, but, those occasions usually involve heated emotions. IMHO there is no reason to use it in the course of general conversation, so I don't. Unless you get me really angry, you will never hear even a mild curse word cross my lips. There are too many other words that are much more descriptive. To me, and IMHO, people who feel that they MUST use that language are usually VERY insecure in themselves. They are either ignorant or self-involved or are doing it strictly for "shock value". Personally, I wish we, as a society, could wash all their mouths out with soap!!!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 02/09/2006 5:10 pm
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

Hilch said
When I was a boy and did something wrong ( very bad actually ) a swift kick up the backside was forth coming and deserving!

I was exactly the same, as was my brother. If we did something wrong, we were sure to get a smack on the arse. Truth be told, after the second time we knew if we were bad it was going to happen, so we did 2 things;

A) do our best not to get caught! (didnt often work!)
B) not do anything bad

I think B is the best option here!

I agree that the problem today is that there are so many negative influences and inapproriate actions that children can take that leave parents at a loss when it comes to discipline.

I would like to believe that no child is beyond help, its just that some require a lot more help than others.

The offenders from this story clearly have some strong mental issues that need addressing, as no rational, sane, law abiding person would do such a horric thing to another person.

It makes me sad to think that we live in a world where entire countries can go to war with other countries "to free the people from tyranny and oppression", when said countries cannot even bring peace to their own citizens when they need it the most.

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

Posted : 03/09/2006 12:02 am
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

For what it's worth, AFAIK every generation has had it's cases of pointless violence, and every generation. Mass-media might make it seem like anything changed but I doubt it highly. And as for bad influences from media, my gangsta-rap listening friends have just as much desire to 'smack their bitch' as I have for 'shooting a man in Reno' because I dig the blues. Just because stories of poverty, struggle, violence and hate are considered exciting by youngsters it doesn't mean they actually assume it is normal, acceptable or even desirable.

Just two cents coming from one of today's children.

Posted : 06/09/2006 10:33 am
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

For what it's worth, AFAIK every generation has had it's cases of pointless violence, and every generation. Mass-media might make it seem like anything changed but I doubt it highly. And as for bad influences from media, my gangsta-rap listening friends have just as much desire to 'smack their female canine' as I have for 'shooting a man in Reno' because I dig the blues. Just because stories of poverty, struggle, violence and hate are considered exciting by youngsters it doesn't mean they actually assume it is normal, acceptable or even desirable.

Just two cents coming from one of today's children.

I agree 100% Arjen. Pointless violence is certainly nothing new.

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 06/09/2006 1:25 pm
(@jminor)
Estimable Member

Discipline of children has been part of Human Nature long, long, long before recorded history, and we're trying to change it in only a couple of generations... Sorry.. but if it's worked for so many hundreds of thousands of years, we're only EXPERIMENTING with change... I think some of these out of control kids are the result of this "experiment"

In child care centres here in Australia, the workers there are advised not to say the words "DON'T" or "NO" to the children they are supervising... because they are negative comments.

"Steve, that crayon you are jamming into Jenny's ear will hurt her" ..... ???? insetead of a forceful "Don't do that" !!!

Man, these are kids are being taught NOT to take responsibility for their own actions because you might upset them.

In no way do i condone beating a child, but I agree with others that a smack across the back of the legs or a ruler slapped across the palms of the hands is the best way to discipline children... It only stings for a few seconds and no damage is done. But this few seconds of pain teaches them INSTANTLY that what they've done is wrong...

You can't reason with chimps and orangutans.. scientific studies tell us they have about the same level of intelligence as toddlers.. they learn by rewards (praise, in the case of children) and punishment.

Studies also tell us that when we are at this young age, we are sponges for learning (child prodigy's, easily learning multiple languages, developing perfect pitch etc...) Responsibility NEEDS to be learned (at a very basic level, of course) at this young age while the brain is still absorbing the world around it. Otherwise, you won't develop essential social skills regarding cause and effect of your own actions...
The result is out of control kids who are prescribed Ritalin because they have ADD or ADHD or some other psychological "problem". (although this is a whole 'nother issue which i won't punish you with my views)

I generally don't think parents are to blame because they trust what the "media" and "politicians" tell them to do and how to raise their kids.

I could go on, but this is a guitar forum and i've talked too much nonsense already.

WOW, did you read this whole post ??? I'm impressed :)

Peace

J

Insert random quote here

Posted : 08/09/2006 4:17 am
(@soundgarden)
Trusted Member

Jmin7b5, i totally agree with you that it's wrong to never tell a child 'NO' but on the subject of physical punishments i think that it is more likely to lead to violence. As you said a young child is an information absorbing sponge and if that child is taught that violence is a correct solution to a problem then they are more likely to go beat somebody up.

Another thing it's ridiculous to say thst troubled violent teenagers are a direct result of lack of discipline, troubled children come from troubled families. if you actually wanted to do anything to prevent the minor problems of teenage violence you would be far better of curbing the divorce rate rather than legalising child abuse.

Drugs are a waste of time. They destroy your memory and your self-respect and everything that goes along with with your self esteem. Kurt Cobain
Have you seen the roses? There's a whole lot of colours. Syd Barret

Posted : 08/09/2006 7:09 am
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Just a reminder from your friendly local moderator:

This is a music forum. I think we might all want to return to that subject. It's very easy for a discussion of this sort to veer off track and lead to misunderstandings among members.

Let's be very careful, all right?

Thanks.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 08/09/2006 2:32 pm
Page 2 / 2