Clear all

Reunion Jam

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@danlasley)
Noble Member
Topic starter

So last weekend we went to my 30th high school reunion. The James Montgomery Blues Band was hired and we were scheduled to play during their break. Via email, we had 8 players interested. Two didn't show (including the drummer!), and one forgot his axe. Anyway, while the real band was on stage, we scribbled a song list on a whiteboard. 5 of the 6 songs we had played before - 5 years ago! Despite several attempts to recruit a drummer from the revelers, we were stuck. Luckily, the JMBB drummer seemed quite willing to play a bunch of non-blues songs, so we were better off than we thought. It was also nice to have a pro PA with sound guy. I won't say that we were flawless, but we played quite well considering no rehearsals. A true Stone Cold Jam. We even hit the dynamics on several songs. We'll do it again in 5 years.

Me - bass
BabyDoc - vocals and pseudo-guitar (unplugged Strat)
Ken - Lead Guitar, vocals
Rick - Piano (a pro in his own right)
David - Sax and harp
Pro Drummer

Feelin' Alright (a la Joe Cocker - strong piano)
Honky Tonk Woman
Wild Night (I started us off way too fast!)
Suzie Q
Somebody to Love (excellent guitar solo)
Moondance (more piano)

Pix soon.

PS: Wes, this was the gig you were going to engineer before we hired JMBB - a long story.

Posted : 05/05/2008 3:51 pm
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

good job Laz. were your play mates guitarnoise forum members?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 05/05/2008 7:12 pm
(@katreich)
Prominent Member

Ok, I have to ask; Why wasn't Laura plugged in?

Falling in love is like learning to play the guitar; first you learn to follow the rules, then you learn to play with your heart.

www.soundclick.com/kathyreichert

Posted : 05/05/2008 8:01 pm
(@danlasley)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Ok, I have to ask; Why wasn't Laura plugged in?

First and foremost, we were short a guitar amp - JMBB only has one guitarist.

Secondarily, Laura sings much better when she doesn't have to play, and she agreed that this was the best use of her talents that day, especially since we had no rehearsals. She plays guitar to accompany herself, which works well for her. She loves to play as well, and we occassionally spend an evening working on playing better while singing, and singing better when playing. Not that I can sing...

The others were not from GN (yet).

Posted : 06/05/2008 4:04 pm