Clear all

Richard Thompson

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member
Topic starter

I heard on the radio this morning that the Winnipeg folk Festival will be presenting their annual Artistic Achievement Award to Richard Thompson this year.
As part of the Award presentation, they have commissioned local luthier Fred Casey to build a guitar for Thompson.

Here are a few construction pictures of the guitar

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

Posted : 01/12/2008 9:49 pm
(@shadyharrison)
Reputable Member

Thanks for sharing. Good to hear Thompo getting the props he rightly deserves. The guy can play ANYTHING on a guitar. :D

Take care,

Casey

Posted : 06/12/2008 9:12 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

ONe of the great undiscovered guitarists, isn't he? And like Shady said, the guy can play ANYTHING. I saw him with his then-wife - they were billed as Richard and Linda Thompson - way back in the early to mid 70's. I'd never heard of him previously, but the then-girlfriend got tickets - so I had to go. Glad I did - he made a real impression. Richard played a lot of fingerpicking stuff that night, I was almost entranced watching his hands, how they were flying up and down the fretboard. On the negative side, it may have set my personal musical developement back - I remember thinking, "I'll NEVER be able to play like that!" Still can't - but it's a hell of good level to aspire to!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 07/12/2008 1:49 am
(@rgalvez)
Prominent Member

Well..he not only can play anything...but he demonstrates here he can sing anything!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAS4ltt7DzI

RT rules!

Posted : 07/12/2008 11:02 am
(@shadyharrison)
Reputable Member

Good point, and great find. I'll have to keep a look out for "It Won't Be Long", which he also plays on 1000 Years. :D

Take care,

Casey

Posted : 07/12/2008 8:50 pm
(@rmorash)
Estimable Member

I thought the name was familiar so I searched back on some past Acoustic Guitar issues and sure enough he was featured in the October 2007 issue. Didn't pay to much attention to it because I didn't know who he was but now I'm going to go back and actually read the article. Nice and thanks for pointing out the YouTube url

Posted : 22/12/2008 3:50 pm