Clear all

RIP Columbia House Music CD Club

24 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I will always remember ripping them off - LOL :D Over and over and over and over. Good thing I was a minor at the time.

MP3s kill CD stores DEAD!

Posted : 27/08/2005 5:38 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

MP3s kill CD stores DEAD!Not necessarily. The local CD stores here seem to be doing good business. And there are lots of online CD vendors doing a booming business. There was a study published a while back showing that online music downloaders actually bought more CDs, which I've long expected. I know I've bought a lot more (locally and online) after hearing something first off the Internet. The whole notion that the number of MP3s someone had on his computer multiplied by the price of that music at retail represented how much the music companies and artists had lost due to "theft" has always been false. Most of those people never would've or could've bought all that stuff in the first place. And there wasn't any direct loss.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 27/08/2005 6:31 pm
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I actually heard some guy from Rolling Stone on CNN yesterday talking about how in 4 years there will be no CD stores. Artists will only release singles and Steve Jobs was going to be the richest man on the planet.

It is kinda wierd that CH went belly up. They been around for a long, long time. Oh well, it was probably BUSH's fault. What isn't? :twisted:

Posted : 27/08/2005 7:40 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, well, Rolling Stone doesn't seem to know anything about music or the music industry, and they certainly don't write much about it.

:roll:

Posted : 27/08/2005 8:08 pm
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Can't write about a music industry when there is none. No MTV. No Magazines (Rolling Stone SUCKS seems to be the on going cliche.) No Free CD's in the mail. And soon no CD stores.

Posted : 27/08/2005 8:19 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

That's silly and you know it.

Posted : 27/08/2005 8:59 pm
(@alangreen)

Can't write about a music industry when there is none. No MTV. No Magazines (Rolling Stone SUCKS seems to be the on going cliche.) No Free CD's in the mail. And soon no CD stores.

CD Stores will evolve - not just to selling video games, DVD and posters, but selling mp3 players, hi-fi, and that sort of stuff. My local HMV sells music-based books, biogs, guinness book of hit singles, and small amounts of sheet music. Who knows - maybe they'll even start flogging axes.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 27/08/2005 9:10 pm
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

CD Stores will evolve - not just to selling video games, DVD and posters, but selling mp3 players, hi-fi, and that sort of stuff. My local HMV sells music-based books, biogs, guinness book of hit singles, and small amounts of sheet music. Who knows - maybe they'll even start flogging axes.

Best,

A :-)

Yeah, they will evolve like Columbia House did; they ONLY sell DVD's, now. There has to be a reason why a club thats been around for decades decide not to sell CD's anymore. It's a clue.

Posted : 27/08/2005 9:27 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, it means their business model and management wasn't working. Lots of longstanding businesses in all kinds of fields have gone under because they didn't adapt to changing times. It's a lot more likely that Amazon.com put them out of that business than MP3 downloaders.

Posted : 27/08/2005 9:38 pm
(@ajcharron)
Estimable Member

Last year, Janis Ian gave us an interview (click in the interviews section) and we spoke of the subject. She told me she'd put a bunch of songs for free download on her site. The result? Her record sales went up 300%.

It's proven that 85% of people who download will buy the albums if they like it. Yes, the majors are losing sales, but that's because downloading leads to people discovering the Indie market. Ever since Napster, Indie labels went from 2% of the market to 27%

The majors don't know how to compete with the indies (it's very simple; stop making formula music) so they've launched this campaign against downloading so that people won't here the indie artists out there.

Posted : 28/08/2005 7:03 am
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

I've more or less quit buying from the majors after they( the RIAA) started sueing the fans :evil: Indi music rocks, and lots of great indi blues out there 8) 8) If I want to listen to music i can go down the road and listen to the bluegrass bands on thursday night, or check out hundreds of bands on soundclick or other similar sites. I probaly get the most pleasure hearing some of the music thats posted by the good folks on this web site :D :D Thats what music should be!!You don't need a record company to make music, and now you don't need one to distribute it (at least not on the web) I don't know what will become of the music industry, but i do know its going through MAJOR changes :wink:

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 28/08/2005 12:58 pm
(@stevedabear)
Estimable Member

To be honest, i download quite a lot of music.. and i do download illegaly ( maybe i shouldn't have said that) But at the same time, i do buy albums (when i've got the money) because i'd rather listen to them on my hifi than the computer. And in some respects they're easier to use.

The price of albums is ridiculous most of the time. Most albums here in England cost about £15. And i'm only a student, i dont have tonnes of money.

I dont think that mp3's have led in any real effect to slopes in CD sales. The recession has probably done that.

Posted : 12/09/2005 12:29 pm
(@steves)
Estimable Member

This is bittersweet for me. I used to work for Columbia House. It was my first job out of grad school (ouch - almost 20 years ago) and a great way for me to mix my love of music with my newly minted MBA. While their reputation continued to sullied by some early missteps and consumer complaints, the truth is that when I was there, this was a class organization filled with a lot of really smart people. I made many lifelong friends there. The 12 for a penny was a great deal that worked for the consumer (sub $8 cds) and the company. I guess they just couldn't change quick enough to keep up with consumers. Too bad. :(

Steve

Posted : 13/09/2005 2:03 am
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

Interesting news to me. So Columbia House's music club sunk after all these years. Bummer. I really didn't have trouble with Columbia House. I always had trouble with BMG. Sending the wrong cds or not having them at all.

I hate to pay $15 for a cd anymore. DVD's go down in price, so why does it seem that cd's go up (remastering over and over). That's what sucks.

It's been almost a year since I bought a cd brand new. It's hard to beat .50-$2 a cd at garage sales. Unless it's free.

RIP Columbia House Music Club

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

Posted : 13/09/2005 4:58 pm
(@spacedog03)
Estimable Member

I agree with A-J and smokindog. My personal experience is that I have only recently (past year) been downloading music because I was under the impression that I needed more than a simple dialup connection. So I was misinformed. Anyway, in the past year the number of CD's I've purchased legally has tripled. Serious. For the first time I have been able to hear music by artists that I've read about but get no airplay whatsoever. I simply can't plunk down $15 for a CD by someone I've never heard regardless of what a magazine or online source says about them. Do I buy CD's of every artist I've downloaded? Of course not, but I'm buying lots more music now than I did before, though as has been pointed out, not from major labels. (Of course, I don't download much from majors either.) I don't feel guilty. I support the artists I like.

Posted : 13/09/2005 9:35 pm
Page 1 / 2