Clear all

Robert Plant on... CMT?!

22 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Yep, Robert Plant taped an episode of CMT Crossroads with Alison Krauss the other day.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007710210404

I never thought I'd see the day that Robert Plant would be on CMT, and that I'd actually be excited to see it!

Did I fall into an alternate reality?! :lol:

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 26/10/2007 11:00 pm
(@country)

I have not seen that but I guess these days anything is possible. I will have to watch for a re-run.

Posted : 26/10/2007 11:12 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Guessing that CMT = Country Music Television? In the early days of satellite TV in the UK, there was a CMTV channel - it was taken off because the viewing figures were pretty low, ie virtually zero. My daughter and I still laugh at the time we were channel surfing and found CMTV - she was only about 6/7 years old at the time, but remembers it well....

So this band starts playing a song, the lyrics of which went something like;

Dum-di-dum-di-dum-dum-dum,
Every time she passes by.

Chorus....

Every time she passes by,

I have a nagging feeling it was called "Every time she passes by".....can't remember who the band were, though.

Is it any wonder I never used to listen to Country Music? I'm more enlightened now of course, and I do listen to some - Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, even a little Hank or Merle on occasion.....but I don't think either of us will forget that particular episode!

As for Plant on CMT - not as far-fetched as it might seem - there are lots of similarities between English folk music and American folk and country music - songs like "Going to California" and "Down By The Seaside" could easily be done in a country vein......

Who'd have thought the Stones (Far Away Eyes) would have dabbled in Country music? Bet there are lots of others - it's late and I'm too tired to think right now....

Coming up - Willie Nelson previews his new nu-metal album on Kerrrrang!!!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 27/10/2007 12:16 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Plant's voice at least was at one time really versitile. I can see him quite easily crossing over and doing whatever he wants.

Vic brought up the Stone's little ventures into country music. Songs with a country flare by them have always been appealing to me. Heck, that band can do anything they want.

I am very fond of the song Love In Vain by the stones. I've never really determined if it's more of a blues or a country tune. Thoughts anyone? It's got some bluesy riffs to it, but I swear I hear some country in it too.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 27/10/2007 3:46 pm
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

I haven't seen the show, but I have heard positive reviews for the new CD the two of them did together. I think I may check the tv listings to try to Tivo it.

With all the really bad music clogging the airwaves, I would be happy to see some good stuff, in any musical genre. And, they are both such talented singers, I would think they could make nursery rhymes sound interesting!

Posted : 27/10/2007 8:57 pm
(@progressions)
Reputable Member

The Stones and The Beatles were both really influenced by Carl Perkins, Chet Atkins, a lot of old country guys in the 50's. Lots of Beatles tunes have that twangy country approach! They blended it well with their English pop sound.

Jeff

Isaac Priestley: World Racketeering Squad
http://www.progressions.org/
http://www.youtube.com/worldracketeer

Posted : 16/11/2007 4:56 pm
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I have always felt that Crossroads was pretty classy about the way they put the two artists together and I have seen several of them. I havent seen this one with Plant but I'll be going home to check it out as well.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 16/11/2007 5:10 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Still no air date for this one, so if anyone gets any news, please let us all know.

I've seen a couple episodes as well, and thought they were pretty good.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 16/11/2007 11:17 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Monday, 2/11/08, 1pm & 8pm ET/PT is when this episode will first air.

http://www.cmt.com/shows/dyn/cmt_crossroads/127935/episode.jhtml

Repeats will be aired also: http://www.cmt.com/shows/schedule/series_sched.jhtml?seriesID=8650

Dan

Posted : 31/01/2008 11:17 am
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

I could be misremembering completely here, but isn't The Stones' versh of Love In Vain in a sort of 3/4 time? That's how I'm recalling it, which would indeed take the blues-edge off a little. The original Robert Johnson versh is widely/unanimously considered blues, but put into 3/4, well.....

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

Posted : 31/01/2008 11:22 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I could be misremembering completely here, but isn't The Stones' versh of Love In Vain in a sort of 3/4 time? That's how I'm recalling it, which would indeed take the blues-edge off a little. The original Robert Johnson versh is widely/unanimously considered blues, but put into 3/4, well.....

Hmm, not sure what that has to do with the subject...? :roll:

Dan

Posted : 31/01/2008 11:25 am
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

rparker mentioned the song in his post, pondering the genre

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

Posted : 31/01/2008 11:42 am
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

i bought the cd "Raisng sand" i think it's really good and recommend it.

#4491....

Posted : 31/01/2008 11:45 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

rparker mentioned the song in his post, pondering the genre

Yeah, Sorry Dan. We went off on a bit of a sub-topic about the genre mixing or crossing over.

Scrybe, I had totally forgot about Johnson doing Love In Vain. Had to run downstairs and grab my Johnson CDs. Sure enough, there it was. :oops: I think what was leaving me a bit confused about genre with this song was the Stone's addition of the steel guitar and the style it was played.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 31/01/2008 1:01 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

i bought the cd "Raisng sand" i think it's really good and recommend it.

I gave it a listen on the Barnes and Noble site. I'm gonna have to get it too. Besides, I've got a $15 gift card floating around the house somewhere.....

Roy

Posted : 31/01/2008 1:02 pm
Page 1 / 2