Notifications
Clear all

Robert Plant on... CMT?!

22 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Heard one of our (Sirius) DJs commenting on how not a single LZ fan knew who Allison Krause was only a year ago. But now a year later they all know her, and absolutely hate her for stealing Plant's time away from possible Zep projects. lol

-=tension & release=-

Posted : 31/01/2008 5:10 pm
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

rparker - I agree that the Stones versh makes the blues sound country, that's one of the things I love about it. lo, I'm gonna have to dig out Let It Bleed later and have a listen (cracking album) as I'm curious if it is in 3/4 like I remember or if I'm fabricating that bit. I'm sure the basic rhythm does change a fair bit, though. it's a good example of how a song can totally change in overall vibe by the clever use of arrangements. also made me a bit more open to country music. that and my dad playing it all the time, lol.

isn't a lot of modern country music just MOR pop-rock with country instrumentation?

(apologies if this goes too far off topic)

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

Posted : 31/01/2008 6:13 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

If you want to check out another cross-over duel, check on Chet Atkins' and Mark Knopfler's Neck & Neck. It's REALLY good.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 31/01/2008 8:35 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Scrybe, I listen to it about once a week. Copied it to the PC. One of my favorites. I'm not sure what the timing is. The Stones did slow it down quite a bit though. Gave it a different vibe for sure.

I tend to agree with you about your take on modern country. I listened to the sample tracks on Raising Sand. They don't seem to have that. Sounds more soulful(?) than a lot of newer stuff.

Gnease, I've heard of her, but never heard her before. I chaulk the whole thing up to bad timing myself. :?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 31/01/2008 8:46 pm
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

I used to listen to it loads (my fave Stones album, I think), but haven't done so for ages. cheers for the tips on other stuff to check out, I'm always interested in new styuf, especially when it broadens my listening - I'll track them down! 8)

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

Posted : 31/01/2008 8:58 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

i bought the cd "Raisng sand" i think it's really good and recommend it.

Ditto, really great CD. 8) Everyone I've let listen to it has gone out and brought a copy themselves.

I'm looking forward to seeing the show. :D

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 31/01/2008 11:48 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Well, I watched this Crossroads episode twice now, (last Monday night, and again last night), and thought it was very good overall. The one part I didn't quite like was the countryfied version of 'Black Dog". Didn't do it for me. One of the best songs I thought was Allison singing "When the Levee Breaks". She changed it up enough to make it sound new, and added a fiddle solo. Robert's and Allison's voices mixed together very well on all of the other songs, and they look like they're having a blast.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 15/02/2008 11:02 am
Page 2 / 2