12 Users
0 Likes
(@geonjules)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Heres a review link for Rocksmith.
Some are calling it the learning tool for the future. :D

http://www.extremega...s/rocksmith.php

" Thoughts that pay homage to frustration will attract frustration. When you say or think theres nothing I can do,my life has spun out of control,and I'm trapped,thats what you will attract ".

Posted : 20/10/2011 12:45 am
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

others are calling it the next worthless fad

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 20/10/2011 1:34 pm
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

There's a not very flattering review here:

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/10/18/rocksmith-review/

The grade: Drop D Minus :lol:

Don

Posted : 20/10/2011 3:44 pm
(@neztok)
Estimable Member

They even have a bundle with an Epiphone Junior Les Paul.

"My first guitar was from a video game." The future - not that people will be interviewing guitar players in the future.

Posted : 21/10/2011 7:07 pm
(@alien)
Estimable Member

I don't know if it's the learning tool of the future, but I'm having more fun with it, and I think I'm learning a little bit on the side. So if it gets me to play a little more I think it's worth the price. A professional will laugh at it of course.

The cable that converts the analog signal to USB is pretty accurate (not 100% but good enough for a game). This was the thing I was most skeptical of.

Posted : 27/12/2011 5:09 am
(@alangreen)

Ah, somebody who's using it rather than just recycling the sales spiel and calling it a review.

Let us know, Alien; what have you learned from it about playing guitar

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 27/12/2011 8:54 am
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

I can see how it could help a guy thats green. I would not say its a replacement for lessons, or more normal study.. But it builds up experance fingering the diferent notes, and I can see where it can build up confendence. I would get it if the PC copy ever comes out.

Paul B

Posted : 27/12/2011 10:11 am
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I tried one out in Sam's club. I was suprised to see the Epiphone Jr. For the money it is a nice guitar. Of corse, as with all guitars in non music stores, the high E was broken. My son fired up the X Box and we ran it through some paces. There was a tuning mode that teaches you to tune your guitar properly. You could select effects and tones and such and could just play the thing. I did notice a delay when just playing the guitar in this mode. I did not try to play the actual game, I'm not into that, but I could see where this could be some what of a learning tool but hopefully more of a "gateway drug" into the world of guitar. Would I say buy this if you want to learn guitar? Probably not. Would I say get it if you are into the other guitar games out there and are thinking you might want to try a real guitar? Yes.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 27/12/2011 12:59 pm
(@apache)
Reputable Member

I got this for Christmas (well I did get it early but it was a present LOL), it is accurate, and some people have reported issues with a timelag, but this is to do with the type of tv you have, you can easily get around it - you just need to connect it to an external sound system instead.

I played with it quite a bit when I first got it - it does have some good points and some of the technique "games" are very good too.

Posted : 31/12/2011 10:38 am
(@darth-ordinary)
Reputable Member

I got this for Christmas (well I did get it early but it was a present LOL), it is accurate, and some people have reported issues with a timelag, but this is to do with the type of tv you have, you can easily get around it - you just need to connect it to an external sound system instead.

I played with it quite a bit when I first got it - it does have some good points and some of the technique "games" are very good too.

I believe you kicked my a** with it when I tried it at your house :oops: :D

Was fun and I can see it might encourage people to learn. Better that than pressing coloured plastic buttons.

Gordon Smith GS1.5-40 Marshall VS65R

Posted : 31/12/2011 12:39 pm
(@apache)
Reputable Member

I believe you kicked my a** with it when I tried it at your house :oops: :D

Was fun and I can see it might encourage people to learn. Better that than pressing coloured plastic buttons.

LOL unless we count the chord "game" where you about trebled my high score...

Posted : 01/01/2012 12:36 am
(@alien)
Estimable Member

The USB converter seems to be pretty good for picking up single notes but pretty crappy for chords. Also the timing is very forgiving, especially with chords. Another pet peeve is that it takes over a minute to start the game and sign in. Some of the transcriptions are... unusual... but you'll find inaccurate transcriptions in guitar magazines too. Hopefully some of this stuff will get worked out in version 2.0

That being said, I still enjoy it. The main benefit I think is that it gets me to play a little more, and after awhile I want to turn it off and woodshed. Also it introduced me to a couple bands I hadn't thought of before, through... playing their music.

Posted : 19/01/2012 11:47 pm
(@imalone)
Reputable Member

It looks like the PC version is seriously delayed, might give it a go when it finally comes out. Could be useful for those days I can't quite decide what to practice.

Posted : 20/01/2012 2:34 pm
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

The USB converter seems to be pretty good for picking up single notes but pretty crappy for chords. Also the timing is very forgiving, especially with chords.

I wonder if the note recognition "magic" is in the USB device, or in the software?

If it's in the hardware, then it should be relatively straightforward to write a program to convert the guitar notes to MIDI note-on/note off information, or to set up automatic transcription programs.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

Posted : 21/01/2012 4:10 am