Clear all

Roy Quits Smoking!!!

51 Posts
24 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Yup. After 24 years, had to drop the habit. Surgeon/expert said I had to before she'll fix me. Grrrrr

So, I stopped on 3/11. I've cheated a few times, mostly this past weekend, but each time it gets nastier and nastier. Funny thing, is that I'm actually eating a little bit less than normal. :?: :?:

I'm not as much a grump as I thought I'd be. This week is easier than last week.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 20/03/2008 12:11 am
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Great! Hang in there Roy and keep it up .. it is worth it. Believe me, I see the damage it does! Nasty habbit .... TR types as he sips his beer ..... :shock:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 20/03/2008 12:23 am
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Way to go, Roy!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 20/03/2008 1:30 am
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

YAY! Keep it up! Use the patch or gum or whatever it takes to get the job done, if you need to! Good for you, Roy! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 20/03/2008 2:47 am
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

That's great news to hear! Smoking not being one of my vises, I can't really relate to that, but I have plenty of other activities that I should probably kick! :roll:

Hang in there!

Posted : 20/03/2008 4:33 am
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

You can do it!! I smoked for 26 years and heve been smoke free since Jan. 12. 1996 :D

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 20/03/2008 6:51 am
(@rahul)
Famed Member

You can do it!! I smoked for 26 years and heve been smoke free since Jan. 12. 1996 :D

But you are still the Smokindog !

To Roy : Best of Luck in the quitting process. I am sure it gets very trying at times (just like I try to resist eating large quantities of extra cheese pizza), but with that extra dedication you can do it.

Rahul

Posted : 20/03/2008 8:49 am
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Congrats for quitting, good luck and stick to it.

#4491....

Posted : 20/03/2008 9:06 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I've given up trying to quit. Problem is, there's so much anti-smoking advertising on the TV and the radio and in the papers, I get so uptight and stressed seeing/hearing/listening that I've just got to have a cigarette to calm my nerves.....

Good luck, Roy!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 20/03/2008 10:35 am
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

all right Roy. way to go. hang in there because the benefit will come manifold.

I quit two and a half years ago. it was not too hard. I too cheated a few times. I hated the way i felt the next day. my lungs felt heavy and my mouth tasted of rags. that sure was incentive. I am amazed at the balance in my checkbook.
if you need a quiting buddy just write me when you have the craving.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 20/03/2008 10:44 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Thanks everyone. I didn't want to speak too soon and jinx myself. I've become quite the expert at quitting. I've bought three packs of smokes since I quit. After having some over the weekend, I soaked the remainder of the pack on Monday morning. Bought a pack Tuesday and soacked the pack after one. Yup. The $5.00 ciggerette...and it was legal. :lol:

I cheated and had one last night from a neighbor. Took about a dozen tic-tacs go get the taste out of my mouth. Nasty stuff. I swear I still taste it.

TR, I'll take a Saranac. Have to wait to get off the meds first. :cry:

Rahul, I made some pizza last night. I should have called...... :)

Hmmmm, this all reminds me. I probably have some patches left over from a previous attempt.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 20/03/2008 10:53 am
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Don't roll 'em up and smoke 'em.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 20/03/2008 10:58 am
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Good luck!!

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 20/03/2008 12:49 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Hmmmm, this all reminds me. I probably have some patches left over from a previous attempt.

I have patches, gum, lozenges and tablets filling up a drawer after previous failed attempts - what I don't have is willpower!

:oops: :oops: :oops:

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 20/03/2008 1:21 pm
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Keep at it Roy. I tried quitting so many times before I actually quit. But I am so happy I did now.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 20/03/2008 1:31 pm
Page 1 / 4