Sabbatical

36 Posts
32 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I won't be around for a while.......

I'm not leaving, but I'm going to concentrate on playing guitar for a while. Rather than talking about playing guitar.

Guitarnoise has been good to me - with the advice I've received from these forums, I've developed from a total no-hoper who used the same three chords for years and years to something approximating a guitarist. I've developed my songwriting - from my early postings in the SSG, I can see a HUGE improvement.

So at my advanced age, turned 50 in June, you might think this is a case of mid-life crisis male menopause blues (there's a thread about that somewhere, and a song to go with it!) and you'd be right - I'm too old to do anything now, right? WRONG - you're never too old. I've posted lyrics on the SSG, I've posted completed songs on Hear Here - had some good feedback, thanks everyone for that.....

But what I really want to do is play music - I want to go back through those SSG songs, and the other songs I've written, and I want to record them - and I want to do them PROPERLY, not just rough demos. OK they may still be a bit rough, but....I was discussing this with the Mrs earlier, I said "I want to get some of my songs recorded." her reply was along the lines of, "Well who gives a **** one way or the other?"

Well I do - they're MY songs, I've been writing them for donkey's years, and it's about time (as previously stated!) I spent more time playing songs, and less time waffling.....

So - to put it in a nutshell - the time I spent talking about music will now be devoted to making music.....

I've made a lot of friends on here, I hope to keep in touch with some of you - it's just taken me a long time to realise, what I want to do is MAKE some music.....

Bye for now.....

:D :D :D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 17/09/2007 12:33 am
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Have fun, Vic!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 17/09/2007 12:50 am
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Vic,

I'm sure you'll be back as soon as you have something for us to hear.

Take Care

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

Posted : 17/09/2007 12:51 am
(@jimjam66)
Trusted Member

Enjoy it, Vic!

David

Posted : 17/09/2007 12:56 am
(@chefie)
Prominent Member

Best wishes Vic. Thanks for all you're help. Though it's not always apparent, you've made me a much better song writer. Hope to hear the fruits of your labor in the future.

Neil

Posted : 17/09/2007 1:07 am
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Well it worked for Ron (Tele Player) so keep us posted!Take care of yourself and your family.You know where we are :D Luv ya, the dog :D

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 17/09/2007 1:27 am
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

It's bittersweet. I'm glad to see you concentrate on what it is you want to do. Your input will be missed though.

Posted : 17/09/2007 1:30 am
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

BTW if you need any help recording your tunes, "you know my name...heres my #" Thats a Beatles joke :oops:

couldn't help myself :oops:

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 17/09/2007 1:34 am
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Hey Vic,

Enjoy the sabbatical. I look forward to hearing from you on the boards when you're ready to spend some time at the "keyboards" too!

Tim

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 17/09/2007 2:07 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Go for it Vic!!! See ya back sometime down the road I hope.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 17/09/2007 2:29 am
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

Sounds like a good plan Vic. :D Make the best of it.

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

Posted : 17/09/2007 2:56 am
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Do what you need to do bro, we'll be here for ya whenever....
Good Luck and hope you are able to realise your dream.
check yer PMs if you get a chance.

#4491....

Posted : 17/09/2007 3:15 am
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Geez, there's going to be a big Vic Lewis shaped hole around here for a while. :cry:

I understand where you're coming from though. It frustrates me sometimes how much time I can spend talking about music instead of playing it. But then I know that it's also been a huge and necessary part of keeping my interest and motivation up - so I can't regret any of it.

If I hadn't been involved here at GN I would have probably fiddled around for a while and then slowly wandered away from guitar to some other hobby. I also learned a huge amount by trying to work out allegedly 'helpful' posts - it really made me work through what I knew, or half knew, to see if I was about to post nonsense (which I surely still do on regular occasions... :roll: )

Are you going to do any other writing too (as opposed to song-writing). I've noticed over the past few months that you've actually turned into a pretty good writer as well. Many of your posts display a most enjoyable dry wit, as well as a widely read and inquiring mind. I'll miss Vic the writer as well as Vic the musician around here.

But, hey, enough of the eulogising, you haven't died and you surely won't be away for long. Keep us posted about what you learn. I'm on a mission to finally read (and understand) the bloody 147 page manual for my mixer/recorder, and learn how to use the wretched device properly. Plus a raft of other similar goals to yours that I'd benefit from hearing the Vic version of.

Wishing you success with the projects.

Cheers,

Chris

Posted : 17/09/2007 5:23 am
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member

Vic,

good luck mate, I know exactly how you are feeling right now, Ive been feeling the same way for about a month or so. In the past couple of months Ive been concentrating on my playing, both live and at home. Ive started to make a little bit of headway with the Congas and Bass. I feel, like you, that Ive got a few good songs that really need to be re recorded so I've been upskilling myself on those other instuments so that I can do them justice. Its funny though that Im starting to get an itch to write another song but I want it to be a song based on what Ive learnt and not just a song thats part of the journey (if know what I mean). Mind you I guess that every song is part of some journey. Anyway best of luck

Paul

Check out my Reverbnation page here

Posted : 17/09/2007 7:29 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Vic,

I'll miss you around here, but you've gotta do what you feel is best. All the best of luck to you, and don't be a stranger! :D :D

Take care bud,
Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 17/09/2007 11:20 am
Page 1 / 3