Satriani is coming to Lima

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@rgalvez)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

HI folks!
Joe Satriani is coming to Peru. This time it's my wife who is a big fan of Malmsteem, Satriani, G3 and all this stuff. Me? I'm not a fan but I'm curious. . I would like to receive some feedback from you folks so I could have a better picture of a satriani show.

Cheers
Roberto

Posted : 03/07/2008 1:38 pm
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Satch puts on a good show! I remember when he took the stage after Paul Gilbert and John Petrucci at the last G3; both are monster guitarists, but it very much became Satch's show at that point. Good stage presence, and he seemed to be having a great time. The rest of the band ... hmmm, well, his drummer and rhythm guy do their thing well enough, but there's not much dynamism or interaction. Dave Larue was GREAT on bass, though, really beefing up Satch's rather basic studio bass lines.

Isn't Stu Hamm playing bass with him this time? I thought I read that ... he had someone else lined up but went with Stu at the last minute. That should be fun.

Now, keep in mind that it's going to be x hours of nothing but guitar solos (including Stu's patented bass solo), so you gotta be prepared for it. Still, it should be fairly well paced. Plenty of live clips on youtube if you're looking for a taste of what to expect, though they don't compare to being there. 8)

Cool #9 (with Larue): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgUwD9e8uNM&feature=related

Flying in a Blue Dream (with Hamm): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-zjnVmuTzs&feature=related

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

Posted : 03/07/2008 3:00 pm
(@blueline)
Noble Member

I've seen the show several times and have always had a great time. Either Larue or Hamm will provide an excellent bottom line because they are masters at the bass. I've seen both as well. The show is predominantly instrumental music but they tend to throw in a few tunes with vocals. When Vai was playing in the show they did Zappa's "My Guitar Wants to Kill Your Momma"

There was one show, I remember, where Satriani decided to show how long he could sustain notes in each of the songs he did. Although I've always been a big Satch fan, this became somewhat cumbersome for me because holding a note for a half hour (I'm exaggerating) really doesn't thrill me. But, that was one show out of many!

Joe is pretty amazing to watch. The guy moves around that guitar neck so fluidly. I've seen Malmsteem 100 years ago when he was just a kid. Would love to get your thoughts after seeing him at this age..

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Posted : 03/07/2008 5:14 pm
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Enjoy the show !

Posted : 03/07/2008 9:34 pm
(@rgalvez)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Thank you all friends! You gave good tips. I will defintely check him out. :))

Posted : 05/07/2008 1:16 pm
(@rgalvez)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

It was a killer concert !! Stu Hamm on bass this time....since I'm not a Satch follower I really enjoyed the concert...he's that good indeed.!! yes, two hours of guitar solos, but quite melodic and surprising.

Thank you again for all your input.

Posted : 06/08/2008 3:54 am
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Glad you enjoyed it. I KNEW YOU WOULD!!!! What did the wife say???

BTW..Stu IS a god on the bass. 8)

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Posted : 06/08/2008 3:58 am
(@rgalvez)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

My wife was delighted..(by the way she took the pictures :D). Satriani is a monster as a guitarist but quite humble guy on the other hand. (check out his peruvian hat -chullo- by the way)

Posted : 07/08/2008 9:04 am