Clear all

Senior Citizen's Gig Update

31 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

You're welcome. :)
To clarify: should have said at least 2 similar tempos in a row. If they're particularly digging the fast (or the slow), by all means give them more of the same. :lol:

Don

Posted : 09/02/2011 5:56 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

You're welcome. :)
To clarify: should have said at least 2 similar tempos in a row. If they're particularly digging the fast (or the slow), by all means give them more of the same. :lol:
Good point. There will be 2 or 3 different groups, and the grouping is done somewhat by their physical and/or mental conditions. I'll take lots of notes and use if for the future. Things like "wing A" didn't like fast tempo or "wing B" couldn't sing a long: stuff like that. I'm thinking with only 10 songs that unless something becomes apparent, I'll stick to my set list. Having 30 different songs will allow me to adjust on the fly, as opposed to 10 songs repeated 3 times. "Wing B" won't know I just played that song for "Wing A", and I'll have more songs to see what flies and what doesn't. It will help me determine if it was tempo or song itself they liked or didn't like.

<sigh> Old database guys never really stop thinking about data - even when we can't think straight sometimes. :roll:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 09/02/2011 6:07 pm
(@davidhodge)

Another thing to remember, Roy, is that you're in charge of the tempo. You could do "This Land is Your Land," for instance, as a fast, medium or slow number. Likewise with just about all the others. "Country Roads" is a great opener for this crowd, and you can certainly play it at any tempo. Speaking of which, if they "really love" this song, you might want to hold onto it for your closer.

You could also begin and end with it if it goes over really well. That may sound silly but it will work.

Nice set and nice mix of tempos, by the way. If you know it, Roger Miller's "King of the Road" would probably go over big, too. It's only three chords so you might be able to learn it between now and then.

They're hopefully going to really enjoy your show. Looking forward to hearing how it goes.

Peace

Posted : 09/02/2011 8:47 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Thanks for the tips and song suggestion. I never put much thought into controlling tempo that much on purpose. That's something I'll try out before the outing for sure. Good thought on the song as well. I remember that song very well.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 09/02/2011 9:07 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Sounds like your all set to go Roy. They are gonna love you!

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 10/02/2011 2:18 am
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

This looks like it is coming together for you now roy - im certainly looking forward to the gig report.

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

Posted : 10/02/2011 6:55 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

and audio and video!!!

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 10/02/2011 7:59 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Well of course ... we want to see it!

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 11/02/2011 2:08 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

You'd think that someone there would at least have the ability to take some shots with their phones...... :|

Roy

Posted : 11/02/2011 10:59 am
(@apache)
Reputable Member

You'd think that someone there would at least have the ability to take some shots with their phones...... :|

Well the silver surfer mass is still growing rapidly....

:lol: :lol:

Posted : 13/02/2011 12:40 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Some updates and a set-back with my preperations for this.

The setback first. My head is simply not ready to do this yet. I thought it would be. Maybe on some afternoons, but not anywhere consistent enough to be able to schedule anything with a reasonable degree of certainty that I'd be able to perform. I've not even been able to run straight through two or three 10-song "sets" at home yet.

Enough of that, though. Some things I have learned so far.
#1: It is not as easy to sing into a Microphone as it appears. Not with my voice, anyhow.
#2: It's difficult to move, visually speaking, from the chord sheet -> to the mic -> to beyond the mic - > to my guitar and keep on time and keep on track. I can sit back in my easy chair and play my way through "Sing me Back Home" all I want. A couple less things to worry about and I can mimble to my heart's content. Yes, I know I'm supposed to memorize. I just cannot right now. (see setback) dble grrrr.

Anyhow, on with the set lists.

Set 1
Country Roads
Ring Of Fire
Clementine
Down In The Valley
Blue Suede Shoes
Cest La Vie (You Never Can Tell)
She's Got A Way (Might Replace)
Love In Vain (Might Replace)
Camptown Ladies
She'll Be Coming Around the Mountain

Set 2
King of the Road
Nobody Knows You (When You're Down And Out)
Tennessee Waltz
Home on the Range
Promised Land
Folsom Prison Blues
Stand By Me
The Night The Drove Old Dixie Down
This Land Is Your Land
Oh Susanna

Set 3
Friends In Low Places (Might Replace)
Mr. Bojangles - in C instead of D (Might Replace)
Crazy
He's Got The Whole World In His Hands
I Want To Be Like You
Mack The knife
Sitting Dock Of The Bay
Sing Me Back Home (with a slight lyric change)
In The Jailhouse Now
You Are My Sunshine

*** indicates sing-a-longs

Roy

Posted : 01/03/2011 6:15 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

That's a pretty big set list maybe under your current situation you should limit the first time out to 10 songs, then if you happen to feel good that day you can add as many as needed rather than starting with this and then finding out you can't finish it.

I'd err on the cautious side as your health is more important than anything, no sense making yourself sick over it.

There is definitely a technique to using the mic and you can't really keep moving back and forth away from the mic as the sound will change and it gets annoying to listen to so you kind of need to work that out on yor own.

Also and not to be anal but I think you'll want to do any serious rehearsing while standing so as to make as close to the real performance as possible.

I think you have good songs for the venue and they should go over well.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 01/03/2011 6:24 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

There is definitely a technique to using the mic and you can't really keep moving back and forth away from the mic as the sound will change and it gets annoying to listen to so you kind of need to work that out on yor own.
10-4 on that one. I heard that through my random recordings. Yikes! Awful stuff.
.......I think you'll want to do any serious rehearsing while standing.......
I agree and have been doing it that way.
no sense making yourself sick over it.
Well, one can allow a certain minimum amount once in a while. Sanity is a valuable thing to have. So I'm told. :lol: :lol: Once in a while I might do something that I just know I'm going to pay for, but I do it anyhow. Kind of like drinking too much in my much younger days. Cleaning out the office/studio so I could rehearse was one of those things, recently. Even spreading it out over several days. Oh well. At least now I got a sweet set-up and can enjoy it almost daily. Well worth the price. That's what my next goal of being able to play out even to the small sets is. Something I know is going to hurt, but doing it once in a while will probably pay off ten-fold in phsyc benefits.

My wife reminded me that a med change yesterday will take two weeks or so to begin to feel, and a couple of months to get used to. The Headache Clinic doc is being very cautious and slow. I understand why now. So, I'm palying it by <ahem> ear again, and have plenty of time to learn these songs by heart so that I can focus on the stupid microphone. 8)

Roy

Posted : 01/03/2011 6:44 pm
(@bkangel)
Estimable Member

I think the idea of doing this for the seniors' home is a generous and big-hearted idea. I hope your change of meds settles and eases your symptoms.

It's a big challenge in selecting music for people that range over a generation of experience (70-100 years old is the difference of growing up with the Beatles and Rolling Stones and growing up with the Foxtrot and WWII anthems). So many good tunes!

One hint with the mic that helps me (a little) is that I pin myself to the mic (actually touch it with my mouth) and use that point as a pivot. (I'm reluctant to offer advice as I'm hardly in a position of great experience, but maybe this will help a little.)

What I lack in talent and natural ability, I will have to make up with stubborness.

Posted : 01/03/2011 7:02 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

One hint with the mic that helps me (a little) is that I pin myself to the mic (actually touch it with my mouth) and use that point as a pivot.
Good thought. I think I remember someone advising that on one of my recordings years ago. I've got a big foam sock covering the mic, so why not, eh?

Roy

Posted : 01/03/2011 7:32 pm
Page 2 / 3